subject21

Video of every tandem regardless of purchase

I work at a small midwest drop zone with two 182s. Beginning last season we initiated an effort to have a videographer with every tandem regardless of their up front purchase.

We've kept detailed statistics on the turnaround. For the second year we have a 90% turnaround on customers that end up purchasing the video when they stated they wouldn't want one.

The deal made by the DZO is that if the customer does not purchase in the end the videographer is only out their time for the jump.

We maintain copies of every video and for those that dont want it, and don't leave with it, even they end up calling a couple weeks later and purchasing their copy.

For our operation, 90% is WELL worth the risk of giving up a spot on the plane to chance at a little more revenue. Are there any other DZs out there that have tried this? If so, do you see the same turn around? What would you see as the pros or cons of this idea. So far we're lovin it.
Door!.... wait, what are we doin again?

I work at a small midwest drop zone with two 182s. Beginning last season we initiated an effort to have a videographer with every tandem regardless of their up front purchase.

We've kept detailed statistics on the turnaround. For the second year we have a 90% turnaround on customers that end up purchasing the video when they stated they wouldn't want one.

The deal made by the DZO is that if the customer does not purchase in the end the videographer is only out their time for the jump.

We maintain copies of every video and for those that dont want it, and don't leave with it, even they end up calling a couple weeks later and purchasing their copy.

For our operation, 90% is WELL worth the risk of giving up a spot on the plane to chance at a little more revenue. Are there any other DZs out there that have tried this? If so, do you see the same turn around? What would you see as the pros or cons of this idea. So far we're lovin it.

That 90% purchase rate does sound excellent, but factors like price will have a big impact. $25 video+stills, I'll take it. $120, maybe not.

I'd be interested to know other details like what you charge, whether still photos are included, what media the customer gets (VCR, DVD), etc. Also, do your numbers include those who only decided to buy the product AFTER the jump, or also those who bought - or showed their intention to buy - the product before the jump?

Either way, 90% is pretty awesome, especially considering vids are one of the best merketing tools a DZ can exploit.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Video is 65 and put on a DVD

90% is those that flat out said no video.

We always offer to view a demo.

Stills are additional 25 and we don't always go up with those if they don't want.... although not a bad idea based on above data.

I'm curious. Do the students view the footage before they leave the DZ? Before they purchase? Do You call them later to remind them you have the footage or do they call you because they remembered you shot the video?

I have worked at a DZ that does that, but it was handicam video so, no slots lost.

90% sounds like quite a high figure, when I have seen these type of figures of upselling there has been a tremendous amount of pressure on the customer to purchase the product when they clearly do no want to/cannot afford it.

This type of behavior is really unprofessionasl and has a negative long term effect on overall sales/bad word of mouth advertising.

I am not saying you guys act like this but those figures might lead me to assume so.

I am not opposed to spec selling, but only if it is done in a professional and respectful manner.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

single cessna DZ I worked at took handi cam on every jump regardless if they said yes or no. he sold a lot of videos after the fact just by showing them it. its probably the adrenaline and omg what did I just do factor involved too. I know his overall video sales were 70 to 80 percent, im not sure on the no to yes after the fact ratio though

As a DZO, I think it silly to send up single tandems in the 182 unless you only have one TM and you are forced to. In our 182 operation we are basically breaking even by sending up a single so we avoid it at all costs. Single bookings must book with another single or an odd number from another group. To schedule singles on purpose so as to spec outside videos seems like a poor business practice. I say send em up in pairs and either shoot handy or sell landing shots for $25 per disc plus an 8 x 10. Landing shots offer the same profit margin as the outside video to the DZ and easier to sell!

We now have our ground shots only as as an add on option to handy cam to encourage more people to buy handycam.

I dont know how you would accurately book tandem class schedules by offering outside video with a cessna operation. Lets say you have 20 tandems booked. It should take you 5.5 hours to do the work with fuel breaks for 10 loads. Now lets say they all want outside video. That makes for a 11-12 hour day for 20 tandems.

It's pretty simple, we just show them the raw footage after the jump. NEVER any pressure to purchase and we do not call them at a later date to attempt the sale again.
We show it to them almost the moment after we have the harness off of them. The excitement is high, adrenaline is still pumping hard, it sells itself.

It's pretty simple, we just show them the raw footage after the jump. NEVER any pressure to purchase and we do not call them at a later date to attempt the sale again.
We show it to them almost the moment after we have the harness off of them. The excitement is high, adrenaline is still pumping hard, it sells itself.

So the DZO really thinks this is a good idea? To spend another $40 on gas and pilot not to mention tach to make $30 on a vid?

Not sure how you came up with $40 on fuel... we've done the math and its a fraction of that... pilots at our DZ fly for free (to get time or just for fun)... tach? not much of a difference and he owns his planes and is an A&P/IA.... Guess our overhead is way lower than some other DZs... maybe that's why it works for us.
If the extra person cost the operation another $40, then those would be some pretty costly jump tickets for a 182.

Very good point! However, our DZO doesn't care for handy cam and only wants outside video. (lets not get into the argument as to what is better as that's argued on a few other threads and leave it at that.) Throughout all of last year I was the only TI so that probably should have been mentioned before. This year we've brought another TI on and between weekends away for each of us, it's still common to only have one.

I definitely see your point though and appreciate the input!

I don't think there's any argument that outside video is superior to handy cam.

You should have dropped the bomb about only having one TI in the first place. In that case, the spec video is a great way to fill one of the two open slots in the plane.

It's nice deal for the camera guy too. He gets to jump all day, even if nobody pre-buys video. He might not make any dough, but it's better than sitting on the ground or paying your own slot.

As a DZO, I think it silly to send up single tandems in the 182 unless you only have one TM and you are forced to. In our 182 operation we are basically breaking even by sending up a single so we avoid it at all costs. Single bookings must book with another single or an odd number from another group. To schedule singles on purpose so as to spec outside videos seems like a poor business practice. I say send em up in pairs and either shoot handy or sell landing shots for $25 per disc plus an 8 x 10. Landing shots offer the same profit margin as the outside video to the DZ and easier to sell!

We now have our ground shots only as as an add on option to handy cam to encourage more people to buy handycam.

I dont know how you would accurately book tandem class schedules by offering outside video with a cessna operation. Lets say you have 20 tandems booked. It should take you 5.5 hours to do the work with fuel breaks for 10 loads. Now lets say they all want outside video. That makes for a 11-12 hour day for 20 tandems.

I agree, also the majority of tandems come out with a friend, and they also tend to want to "jump with" their friend. We use the "jump with your friend", well actually "ride up with your friend" to sell hand cam over outside video. We have two TIs working generally, and the the TI also shoots outside video. 10 tandems with outside video, is 10 jumps each, or 20 tandems (10 each). The TI gets an additional $25 if he shoots hand cam, and the DZ sends the airplane up with $500 ($200 tandem, $50 video) in revenue if it's hauling two tandems both with hand cam.

I'd spec HC all day long, but we are small! The TI does everything from answering the phone, running the cash register, and if the TI happens to also be the DZO, plunging the toilet, hauling trash out, cleaning up all the trash left behind by the up jumpers, etc. etc.

Martin

Maybe worthy of it's own thread, but why do skydivers leave so damn much trash behind? Hell, the average McDonnalds customer does a better job of cleaning up after themselves.

That little rant said, I do have more than one skydiver who will go around and pick up after the others, vacuum the floor, answer the phone when I'm not on the ground, even clean up shit after a skydiver deposited it on the restroom floor. To those guys, and girls, I say THANK YOU!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

That doesn't surprise me. When I did a lot of video I always took stills and sold 90% of them. Now I'm considering taking handcam on all tandems, at least those below 200 pounds. Nothing like trying to get a 200+ guy in the door of a 182 when it is filled with other jumpers.:S

steveOrino

Maybe worthy of it's own thread, but why do skydivers leave so damn much trash behind? Hell, the average McDonnalds customer does a better job of cleaning up after themselves.

If i'm there after the last load when everyone has dispersed, i'll pick up all the trash. Usually 20+ bottles/open soda cans + food trash attracting bugs to the packing area. Figure its the least I can do. A bunch of animals, these skydiving types! ;) [/hijack ]

I shoot handicam on every jump for 2 reasons.

The first and most important is wearing a cam on some jumps and not on others creates variation in your routine. It breaks the flow of your safety procedures and in the end makes every tandem you do less safe. I have incorporated the cam in my safety procedures. I video the passenger as they are seat belted in then the pilot as he does his checklist. before I hook up I touch every piece of hardware on the passenger harness on cam. our pilots verify the top 2 connections on the front tandem pair as they are made and the second before exit( not on cam but thought it worth mentioning). The cam is a detraction unless you make it a tool and have a set procedure.

Now the good stuff>>>>>>>
I am averaging 90 percent sales on handicam with no pressure and we get sales of the other 10 percent because we catalog our tapes to DVD. We went to the Platinum .20 by royal lens and HD cams and they sell them selves.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Handi-cam video blows,,it looks amatuer at best,,,more often it looks like 7 year old running with mommies camera. Outside vid/pics are the best quality way of a long term marketing investment in your product. Save the handi-cam for the co-ed showers at boogies............;)B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

I am pretty sure that the DZ that you TI at has (2) 182s....
Probably does 8-12 tandems on each day of the weekend. That means that the tandems are taking a plane for the whole day if you have only 1 videographer. If you have a decent amount of fun jumpers and STUDENTS they are going to spend the majority of the day waiting to get on a load. Sure if someone pre-pays for video give them outside video. Why not send (2) tandems that are not pre-paying for video on the same load? Double the DZO's profit and you can wear a handcam too. Knock out the tandems during the cool early hours, while the up jumpers are still recovering from the night before. Give your students a good environment so they stay in the sport and come back to your dz. Free up your staff to do some coaching and 1st jump courses. At the same do what you can to keep the fun jumpers from traveling to a turbine DZ.

As a fairly new videographer at a Cessna DZ (182 & 206), I love this idea. I have one question though...do you do the whole ground/plane interview with the people who do not pre-purchase the video? Do you still video their landings? Or do you just video the jump itself???

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

And the overhead of the videographers equipment. (unless the DZO provides camera people with parachutes/camera/repacks/linesets/etc etc etc)

I've calculated a videographers overhead to be anywhere from $6-$10 per jump depending on what gear they are using. THAT IS HOW MUCH EVERY SINGLE JUMP COSTS A VIDEOGRAPHER. It should be the videographers choice and not the dzo's demand.