feuergnom

Where are all the Strong-rated TI's when you need them

Over in Gear & Rigging there's a nice "discussion" concerning not only my but also your equipement - so where's all you peeps (TI's I/E's, DZO's etc)? nobody got the guts to stand up and give Tom and the company whose gear you trust a helping hand?

yeah, I guessed so much..... :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I guess you didn't get the DHT union member memo about the rating card & gear burning party over at Skydive Abel Tasman. It's clear that due to the unsafe history of that product and company everyone has decided to use the other guys stuff because it never fails and has never killed anyone!

(all kidding aside I think Tom can handle his own)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

yeah, I guessed so much.....

Tom is doing just fine on his own. Two comments though:

1. You can't argue with stupid....especially if stupid has an agenda.
2. Most skydivers can't make an arguement/ counterpoint purely based on facts. We let too much emotion show through. Having 100 Tandem I's and 20 I/E's on the thread would just pollute what is actually needed...

Tom has done an excellent job answering professionally and with facts.

Hi Guys,

I`ve just come across the post "I guess you didn't get the DHT union member memo about the rating card & gear burning party over at Skydive Abel Tasman. It's clear that due to the unsafe history of that product and company everyone has decided to use the other guys stuff because it never fails and has never killed anyone!
"

I can assure you that this is not the case at Skydive Abel Tasman. I`ve done over 5000 tandems on SE rigs and have no problem with the gear, the opinion above is purely that of a rigger in the company. Myself and all the other Tandem JMs are quite happy jumping the dual hawk system.

Cheers

I just wanted to thank all of you for taking your stand :)
PS: I'd do the same had this kind of "discussion" concerned any other manufacturer

edit @ stratostar: I know that Tom handles this with great skill, but I am also sure that he appreciates a little backup from the field

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your support. Anyone that I have ever met or worked with from New Zealand has always been incredibly supportive of the DHT, that's why I was so surprised when I realized where all this came from.

If anyone of the T/Is at the DZ has any questions, comments or concerns, I am available by email [email protected] and by phone (407) 859-9317. Please don't ever hesitate to call or write. My position at the factory only exists to make sure your positions (Strong T/Is) continue to exist!

Thanks again for your support.

Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

Well yea I agree with you, but myself, I'm not a TI and I'm still waiting for a shipment of DHT rigs to show up before I can speak up as a rig owner. I also don't have all the indepth testing facts as he would have working at the factory. However I do have a number of "saves" to my credit on DHT systems and have filmed a large number of jumps on the system, so I can only speak from that point of view. My post here I felt was more useful then stepping in that hot pile of turds over in the other thread and I felt Tom was doing a great job in a factual manner, we (Tom & I) have spoke a number of times about issues, he is easy to reach and talk with, so for the record I support SE & Tom.;)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Myself and all the other Tandem JMs are quite happy jumping the dual hawk system.

But the real reason DZ owners buy Strongs is to save money right?

If we had the choice I'm sure we would all choose a nice, comfortable, modern, Sigma to an old fasioned Strong system?

There is nothing too wrong with Strongs when it comes to saftey as long as they are well maintained and I am sure Stuart looks after his gear.

But deciding between the two when money is not an issue there would be no comparison.

Would you jump an old wonderhog from the 80's or a micron? that is the real comparison.

BTW, I will jump either system as long as they are well maintained, i have seen good and bad examples of both systems.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

how does money enter into it? I have no idea what a Sigma costs, but our DHS systems cost (now) over $10K each. A Set 400 main is $2700, risers are $300, drogues are $400, linesets cost $300+ dollars and I still have to get them installed.

We spent $24,000 in the past 12 months on our 10 tandem systems from Strong in maintenance and new components. Pretty typical year for us.

So not sure about 'saving money' part that you refer to.

The reason we use Strong? We compare two companies, their products and their parts and service, and we make a choice. Strong was the obvious choice.

how does money enter into it? I have no idea what a Sigma costs, but our DHS systems cost (now) over $10K each. A Set 400 main is $2700, risers are $300, drogues are $400, linesets cost $300+ dollars and I still have to get them installed.

I guess there is not too much of a difference in initial price then;

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/05253%28tandemPL%29.pdf

But...

Cut your main rings off your strong instuctor harness container, send them into Strong and get a substancial discount (in the realms of $2500) on a new harness(only) minus the handles and bags and bridles pilot chutes etc..
Cut the warning label off the set canopy send it in and get a substancial discount on a new set canopy.

at least 2 dz's i have worked for do this.

We spent $24,000 in the past 12 months on our 10 tandem systems from Strong in maintenance and new components. Pretty typical year for us.

I agree, strongs are expensive in maintenance.

The reason we use Strong? We compare two companies, their products and their parts and service, and we make a choice. Strong was the obvious choice.

Can you elaborate? sigmas are more comfortable(especially for the customer if you care about that), safer, and eliminate quite a few malfunctions that are still on offer from the strong system.

Price would have to be the main reason to choose a strong, I cant think of another?

Enlighten me please?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix