peek

Tandem training, one DZO's perspective

...no one should feel as though they are at a used car lot being sold a bill of goods...

They will feel that way if the Instructor puts it across that way.

They will feel like an active participant having accomplished something if one puts it across that way.

They will feel like they've marked off an item on their bucket list if one puts it across that way.

There's an underlying theme here.

Even some of the ones coming in with no more than "bucket list" on their mind can be guided to continuing or repeating...but only if the attempt is made by the instructor.

And yes, tandem mills usually have neither the time nor the inclination to make the attempt.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

" I tell the student that it is their skydive and I am there to assist them through it"

that is a fantastic statement as well as a great way to view each new customer. with only a few dozen tandems under my belt, I can already see myself slipping into "actor" mode when confronted with students, this statement helps me to keep in mind that each student is a unique experience not just a potential risk if I do not do my job to the best of my ability. I really want to have my students involved in as much as possible on the skydive (without surrendering control), but i have noticed some just want to be completely taken care of. I think it is an on going challenge to try and make each student's experience as equally thrilling no matter how much participation they are willing to give, and it is a challenge I will gladly undertake!
Most call me honest; some call me an asshole; I guess the truth isn't for everyone!