skydived19006

Tandem I After Broken Arm

Any TIs here broken an arm? How long before you were back doing tandems?

I broke my left radial just above the wrist, compression fracture, no displacement May 27th. The cast came off June 26th, but my wrist is still quite weak, and limited range of motion, I have a rehab routine I'm working on. No doubt age plays a factor, I'm 44. Last time I broke an arm was 1972, I don't remember the rehab issues when I was 7, but then maybe I just don't remember?

Anyway, I'd planned/hoped to be back to doing working jumps by this coming weekend, but it's obvious at this point that it ain't happening. Now shooting for 7/18.

No, it wasn't a skydiving injury. I went roller skating with my 7 year old son for a school trip. There just isn't much that says "safe" about that shit!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

if you need some more strenght and flexibility try working with a powerball

looks like a toy but this gadget is some serious training for wrists and arms

edit: just saw that the company is located in germany, but they've got an online-shop as well. but I guess you can get the thingie somewhere in the states as well
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

if you need some more strenght and flexibility try working with a powerball

looks like a toy but this gadget is some serious training for wrists and arms

edit: just saw that the company is located in germany, but they've got an online-shop as well. but I guess you can get the thingie somewhere in the states as well

+1 Great for building up wrist strength. However, you might consider checking with your physio if the exercise is appropriate for your injury. You probably don't want to make it worse..:)

when i first got myself a powerball is was constantly playing around with it - even while driving long distance in the car :S:o. was kind of addictive...

seems like a good idea to check with your physio though. and keep us informed how it works for you :)

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I fractured my arm skiing a few years ago. Not clean through, but I could not move it. Had no strength whatsoever.

I was doing tandems 6 weeks later, more out of necessity than anything. I still had no strength to lift my arm, so I used my left to put my right up in the toggle. I had strength pulling down, just none up. threw the drouge fine, but pulled the left for a month or so.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I did a few this weekend, it's been 6.5 weeks. I took another TI up Sat afternoon, if I couldn't handle all the toggle pressure, he could either do it, or take a large share. I took the toggles from him, and had no problem with the flair. The last one I did yesterday was a 215 lb woman, so 485 suspended under an Icarus 365. The flair pressure on that one may have been pushing the limit a bit, but it went fine, and no damage to my wrist. I'll be hard at it again next weekend, back in the saddle throwing drogues!

I did order one of the gyroscopic balls, there's still room for regaining strength, flexibility.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

What's the link for the PowerBall for USA Sales ?

Put your trust in google.
http://www.powerballs.com/

I could get it spinning to 10,500 rpms with my right (good wrist). Don't know if I'll ever come close to the 16,000 record numbers.

AC DZ

Thought I'd update how the recovery went.

I started jumping my sport rig about a week after the cast came off. I started doing tandems again 2.5 weeks after the cast came off, I'm sure my doc would have said that it was too early. I did a tandem with another TI in case I couldn't manage the toggle pressure. It was more of an issue getting around in the airplane (C182) without over stressing the wrist than flying the tandem main. I'm at about 12 weeks now since I broke the arm, I still don't have 100% motion, but it doesn't really hurt anymore, and the strength is back.

The Power Ball was and it an excellent tool for strength, and flexibility! It's a fairly fun toy too.

Martin

AC DZ