WatchYourStep

TIs do you give your students altimeters?

What if, after you have instructed them on altitude awareness and pull procedures, your student refuses to wear the altimeter citing that they do not wish to have that responsibility? I have had a couple students refuse to help me in steering the canopy also.

I suppose you could tell them they need to accept responsiblity or they cannot jump. I highly doubt any dzo would go that far though.

What if, after you have instructed them on altitude awareness and pull procedures, your student refuses to wear the altimeter citing that they do not wish to have that responsibility?

Seems kind of bizarre to me. What did they say when you told them it would improve the safety of the jump if they participated?

So what do you think about DZs that charge an additional $5 for the use of an altimeter? The DZ also charges an additional $5 for a jumpsuit and an additional $5 for a frap hat.

Oh, I know that DZ. I think it also charges an extra $5 if your reserve pilot chute has a spring in it.

So what do you think about DZs that charge an additional $5 for the use of an altimeter? The DZ also charges an additional $5 for a jumpsuit and an additional $5 for a frap hat.

Oh, I know that DZ. I think it also charges an extra $5 if your reserve pilot chute has a spring in it.

all of our tandems wear altimeters - always have - at least as for back as I can remember, and we don't charge extra :)
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

So what do you think about DZs that charge an additional $5 for the use of an altimeter? The DZ also charges an additional $5 for a jumpsuit and an additional $5 for a frap hat..

I have known of some dropzones that do that once a skydiver has a certain number of jumps or perhaps a license, to encourage them to purchase their own equipment when they should have it already.

Hopefully no one does this for students with a small number of jumps.

So what do you think about DZs that charge an additional $5 for the use of an altimeter?
The DZ also charges an additional $5 for a jumpsuit and an additional $5 for a frap hat.

ahhhh - thats why in most vids on the net the students jump just in t-shirts & shorts without any head protection... :P
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

With the usage of safety equipment, comes the responsibility for safety. Apparently, she wanted it all on me.

Another thing, why is a malfunctioning altimeter that big of a deal on a tandem? What do we learn in a FJC? If you lose track of altitude, wave and pull. As far as canopies are concerned, if you need an altimeter to properly land a canopy, not to mention a tandem, you should not be a T.I.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

If a TI is unable to deploy a main or reserve its best that an AAD take care of it - if a student in a complex situation deploys the wrong canopy at an even more wrong time then another double fatality could happen.

So, your theory is, you would rather the AAD fire and possibly cause a reserve/drogue entanglement than have the student pull higher than the AAD would fire, and possilby have a reserve/drogue entanglement?

THE SAME MAL ONLY LOWER!

Sounds to me like I would want more time to try to sort things out up high, not at a few grand and spinning.

Im no genius, but if I was a student and looked up and saw something tangled up, and us going down funny, I would probably try to do something about it. Granted, not a whole lot a student could do (or an instructor at that point) but it does give them time if there is a possibility to clear it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If a TI is unable to deploy a main or reserve its best that an AAD take care of it - if a student in a complex situation deploys the wrong canopy at an even more wrong time then another double fatality could happen.

So, your theory is, you would rather the AAD fire and possibly cause a reserve/drogue entanglement than have the student pull higher than the AAD would fire, and possilby have a reserve/drogue entanglement?

THE SAME MAL ONLY LOWER!

Sounds to me like I would want more time to try to sort things out up high, not at a few grand and spinning.

Im no genius, but if I was a student and looked up and saw something tangled up, and us going down funny, I would probably try to do something about it. Granted, not a whole lot a student could do (or an instructor at that point) but it does give them time if there is a possibility to clear it.

A first jump student will have no idea what 'funny' is. A tandem passenger can't see the entire canopy. I rode front for a recurrency for my husband. We had a 2.5 foot hole in the canopy, and no matter how much I twisted and tried, I couldn't see any more than the front couple of feet of the canopy. I had to take his word for it that the hole was there and not growing :S

But a tandem student having an alti has nothing to do with their responsibilities (or lack thereof) in the skydive. Whether they pull or not, I have yet to see a reason why a student should not have an alti, but a lot of very good reasons why they should.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

"... I have had a couple students refuse to help me in steering the canopy also.

"

I WISH my last tandem student had never touched a steering toggle. She did a lot of things with steering toggles ... few of which were related to what I said ... and even fewer were related to the training syllabus!
The bottom line is that a small percentage of tandem students are not bright enough to touch controls ... any controls ... whether they are ripcords or drogue releases or steering toggles.
Allowing the worst tandem students to touch controls is just asking for trouble!

The bottom line is that a small percentage of tandem students are not bright enough to touch controls ... any controls ... whether they are ripcords or drogue releases or steering toggles.

Rob, don't you think it is our responsibility as instructors to change them from "not bright enough" to sufficiently bright? I think it might improve safety.

It always amazes me to hear tandem instructors talk about their awful students. I have had plenty of students that I thought were going to be awful, but after a bit of conversation (training) they have turned out OK.

For me it isn't that they are awful, but unpredictable. I had a student help me steer and flare. A mistake. We had practiced the flare up high and it went well. When we came into land and I said flare, he slammed down the toggles almost ripping them from my hands. I had to actually pull up on the toggles so we didn't end up getting slammed down going backwards. On a tandem skydive, I am also concerned with my own safety, so I try to minimize the risk posed by an unpredictable student.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

For me it isn't that they are awful, but unpredictable. I had a student help me steer and flare. We had practiced the flare up high and it went well. When we came into land and I said flare, he slammed down the toggles almost ripping them from my hands.

I guess we can say unpredictable is a subset of awful. :)

This happened to me a few times, then I realized what was going on. They were of course getting ground rush and wanting to flare early. During the flare practice I started telling them that they would feel this, but to trust me and not flare until I told them to, and to simply follow my hands. I tell them that this is how we are going to get the best landing. Everyone wants that, so they help out.

I wish we could use this Instructors forum on dropzone.com for exchanging tips and such (like in the instructional rating seminars we should be having at least yearly), but it never seems to be used for that.

This happened to me a few times, then I realized what was going on. They were of course getting ground rush and wanting to flare early. During the flare practice I started telling them that they would feel this, but to trust me and not flare until I told them to, and to simply follow my hands. I tell them that this is how we are going to get the best landing. Everyone wants that, so they help out.

I use much the same technique. During flare practice up high I tell them it is going to look like we are going fast. Then we practice hands up, legs out, and "bring your hands down with mine". I use this instead of "flare" because it is a simple instruction, rather than terminology that they have likely never heard prior to their first jump.

I know alot of TI's have preconceived notions about letting their students land. Many of them never seriously took the time to practice several landings under canopy with their student. (because we all know death spirals and vomit are more fun. :P)

Many others can't land a parachute by themselves, let alone with someone else on the controls with them. (If you are one of these, please take a break from doing tandems and go work on your own canopy skills.)

This topic has gotten a little off track. From students getting alti's to participation in canopy flight. Both topics are inter related because they both come down to whether you consider yourself an instructor or a human amusement park ride. I personally feel that being an instructor is much more rewarding to me as a Tandem pilot, and to my student who gets a little personal attention and an opportunity to participate and learn.

I don't do too many tandems anymore. (having fun driving the caravan). But many threads in this forum come down to one question:

Are you an instructor?

-or-

Are you an amusement park ride?

Then we practice hands up, legs out, and "bring your hands down with mine". I use this instead of "flare" because it is a simple instruction, rather than terminology that they have likely never heard prior to their first jump.

Good idea.

This topic has gotten a little off track.

True, but funny, I don't mind when we are sharing positive ideas!

Most tandems I've seen, granted though that my experience outside my own DZ is boogies, the majority of tandem students are not given altimeters. My feel is that the vast majority do not give tandem students altimeters, but most of those folks aren't going to post here that they don't because they know that they'll get flamed about it. "You're breaking BSRs!" "You should be training!" etc. I'll admit that my DZ could make our tandem skydives more educational, I don't let them pull, I even take the toggles away at 1000'. It's what I prefer, granted not the best training. Flame away!

I/we will spend time encouraging, and explaining to folks who show any level of interest in continuing our IAD training, even discount it $40 after a tandem. If you want to learn to skydive with us, you take the IAD FJC. I do understand training tandems, and how it can empower the student more.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

No I do not give my PASSENGERS an alti. Rigs are setup here in europe that they can not acces the release anyway

That's interesting. Is that some kind of rule from the skydiving or aviation organizations, a preference from DZO's or instructors, or something else?

No I do not give my PASSENGERS an alti. Rigs are setup here in europe that they can not acces the release anyway

That's interesting. Is that some kind of rule from the skydiving or aviation organizations, a preference from DZO's or instructors, or something else?

It's the way tandems are sold here. A tandem is sold as a 1 time experience, not as training method.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

I am not a TI but I am an AFFI at Skydive Orange, VA, and every tandem student is provided with an altimeter by the TI's before they jump at Orange. I have been to other DZs and wondered why they did not give altimeters to their tandem students.

The original idea of a tandem was to introduce the sport to a prospective skydiver in a manner that allowed for freefall. Learning to be altitude aware is pretty important and I would think you should introduce the student to that key piece of equipment from day 1.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I apologize if this seems overly argumentative, but for those of us who started our skydiving career with a tandem, would it have made much of a difference if you had an altimeter on or not? When I did my first tandem I had the grumpy old guy take me. He did minimal training and was not the type to encourage continuing involvement. However, I felt something that didn't need any of that. I felt I wanted to keep going. I believe if someone is hooked they don't need all the encouragement to continue. There is an internal fire that keeps them going. As far as the safety of having a second altimeter I can understand that. But as far as a tool to help make the student feel involved, I don't think that is as pertinent. .02 cents
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

When I did my first tandem I had the grumpy old guy take me. He did minimal training and was not the type to encourage continuing involvement. However, I felt something that didn't need any of that.

Fortunately, that is the beauty of our sport! Instructors involved with first jump students (of any kind) can be poor "ambassadors to the sport", and the students still come back!

If skydiving provided a service that was not so addictive, most skydiving businesses would be out of business in a short time.

The only DZ's I've EVER been too has made all tandems (including my DZ) wear an altimeter! And it's a good fucking thing too...in freefall just last weekend I looked over and noticed my Alti was stuck, not moving, so I kept an eye on my tandem's alti...and pulled accordingly. Replaced my alti for the next jump!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!