efs4ever

Scared Student on Tandem Jump

every student gets the option to "opt out" of doing the jump just before the pilot gives the three minute call. if they say yes and we are in the door we go. if they say no, we'll stay and land with the plane. only exception is when i have the seat right in the door in a 182 or 206 - if we stay the others can't get out, so we have to go no matter what they say >:(

up to now i've had some very nervous ones but no refusal

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Most do it because they think it's funny. Some students respond really well and like the humor on their videos. For others it increases stress.

The most important thing to take from this. Read Your Student. Ask questions, pay attention to their arousal/anxiety level, and make it fun/relaxing for them. If you can't tell the difference between a passenger that wants a little humor and one that needs calm reassurance, you shouldn't be working with students. If you don't modify your behavior to match the student, you're not doing your job.

BTW, I couldn't view the video either.

I've had 1 refusal in about 950 tandems. He very emphatically refused to hook up on the plane. I very gladly rode the plane down with him.