swoopfly

tandem coach (matt yount) shady dealings

hi

i didnt know where to post this but i figured i would let all the rest of tandem instructors and poeple taking tandem coach courses to know. Matt yount a tandem intructor and i also think he runs a Coachs course, has ripped me off on here dropzone.com. I bought a rig from him and he sent it out, i paid top dollar because he was suppose to send some new parts (pilot chute and what not from being worn out) . Well to make a long story short, after he recieved his money, he has never answered my calls about sending the new parts. Basically blew me off after he got his money,. Its real funny to how helpful he was, before he reiceved the money, to make the deal. Now i am left high and dry with and expensive mirage that i now have to fork out more money for because Matt made it sound like a good deal, because he was throughing in these new parts,. Just letting poeple know of these shady dealings and maybe you wouldent want to take a coachs course to soemone who rips off skydivers

yeah i would love for someone to tell me where he can be found so we can get both sides... Good luck maybe he will answer you..... its just maybe a coincidence that he has been unreachable for weeks after the fact that he has recieved full payment, Wierd though how we talked for 2 weeks and no trouble getting in touch with him to sell this product. talk with a few other poeple who knew him, wierd how they said things about similar situations.

Ya know it's hard to feel sorry for you, because in dealing with people overthe internet, dropzone.com or not, you need to cover your ass, in other words.... Did you use a known gear broker such as your rigger or the dzo? Sounds like you didn't to me.

I have done a number of deals with people on here I have never met, I checked my facts or people I knew who knew them or I called their dzo to make sure the gear I was selling in fact something the person could and should be using, or asked if this person was in fact a trusted person and even if they said yes I asked them to be a broker or I had a rigger or other party we both trusted act as a broker. The last deal I personally brokered was for 6 complete tandem rig shipped across the country and that was a hell of a lot a $$$ worth of gear.

It sucks to you, comes to mind, I don't say to be mean, it's the way the sport is now days, may he works for skyride or ASC? It used to be you could go off at the end of the day get drunk as all get out, forget all your gear, wallet, weed, jump tickets,women,beer & bottle and assortied crap laying around right in plain view in the packing area or club house and it would all still be there the next day or even days later (all but the women, weed, beer & bottle those are fair game after 24hrs). Hell sometimes you wouldn't believe the pile of shit laying around, no one took your stuff...... Try that now days and see how long it takes to walk off your HOME dz let alone a deal with someone you don't know, met over the internet.

Best to just buy your shit and move on & go jump, no need to piss into the wind over it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well there's an enabling attitude. Don't know the details of this deal, but clearly there seems to be an issue. Seems to me to be a good idea to air it out and see about helping others avoid a similar fate. To tell this person that"That's just the way it is." is a terrible idea. Since when should we accept that it's OK to be ripped off and if we accidently leave something out in the open and a thief comes along and steals it is, is that so acceptable? Stealing is never acceptable and never should be. Have this other person air his version of the story and come to a conclusion.

Well there's an enabling attitude.

Yea right, more like if your so stupid to send someone money you never met in person only on the net and you didn't use a gear broker, your a moron, pay yours money and take your chances, works for all you skydivers when it comes to jumping shit hole dz's rust buckets, seems the same should apply here!

Wrongful conduct (if that's what it was) is no less wrongful if the victim was gullible.
A victim (if that's what he was) is no less a victim if he was gullible, and he has no less a right to be free from being victimized than does a careful person.

I never said it was right, but a fool and their money soon part ways. In fact it only took one phone call for me to get the low down on said crook, and yes he is known as an asshat in some circles, so with it SO friken easy as it was to do a simple back ground check I have no reason to feel sorry for the OP for not doing his duty to check out the person who he sent his money to and for not using a broker.

Yes it sucks ass to have so many lowlife scum sucking fuck nuts in our sport these days, but that is how it is now, deal with it or get ripped off, pretty fucking simple!

I have bought and sold quite a few items through the classifieds on DZ,com. I feel that my good name carries a certain "credit rating". So far I haven't been burned. We did have someone dodging a bill on a new Infinity we sold her (not through the DZ.com classifieds) but our peeps in the skydiving world helped us collect on a bad debt. I think we should all work together to keep the flakes in check.

I have bought and sold quite a few items through the classifieds on DZ,com. I feel that my good name carries a certain "credit rating". So far I haven't been burned. We did have someone dodging a bill on a new Infinity we sold her (not through the DZ.com classifieds) but our peeps in the skydiving world helped us collect on a bad debt. I think we should all work together to keep the flakes in check.

+1

I sold and subsequently bought a shit ton of gear. Bad experiences have been to a minimum, and the only time I have gotten burned was absolutely 100% my fault - so I wrote it off as a learning experience.

Knowing people at other dropzones is nice, brokering through other trusted people is nice too. But sometimes none of these are options work. Hell, I have people from overseas wiring me money fairly regularly - but I suppose by now I have a bit of a reputation with their peers.

Bottom line to this is that asshats have no place in this sport, but unfortunately there will always be a few :(

>To tell this person that"That's just the way it is." is a terrible idea.

It IS the way it is, often. That's not OK, and it shouldn't happen, but it does. Hopefully people will read threads like this and take more care if they buy gear over the Internet.

>To tell this person that"That's just the way it is." is a terrible idea.

It IS the way it is, often. That's not OK, and it shouldn't happen, but it does. Hopefully people will read threads like this and take more care if they buy gear over the Internet.

And taking care seems to be fairly easy, or at least not all that difficult.

I was looking for something else and found THIS.

Free escrow.
Yeah, double shipping, but a reputable shop offering free escrow.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And taking care seems to be fairly easy, or at least not all that difficult.

I was looking for something else and found THIS.

Free escrow.
Yeah, double shipping, but a reputable shop offering free escrow.

Don happens to be my rigger, so if I buy something over the internet, I *always* ask if they prefer to do an escrow via Don. He's as honest as the day is long in my book (at least, as far as I know!) My girlfriend and her brother, who have both been trading in nylon a lot of late, have been very careful to avoid getting burned, and have suggested "rigger escrow" to a number of sellers who didn't know they could do that.

We had one instance just a few weeks back where a guy bought a rig that was represented as being a certain container size and it wound up being the wrong size (simple error, not someone pulling a fast one) and *poof* we had everything sorted out to everybody's satisfaction with no drama for just the cost of shipping the rig back to the seller (don't recall who paid for that, but my guess is the seller did).

Caveat emptor and all that.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Free escrow.

I have offered free escrow to people too, as a rigger. Its best if the escrow is local to the buyer as they can go to the rigger's house and look at the gear. Last time I did it the buyer was at my place, the seller was on my cell phone. The buyer gave me a check to drop in the mail, the seller authorized me to give the gear away.

Hi everyone

I just wanted to post. Matt has recently reached me. Apparently he has been outta town without his cell phone. He is going to make this deal right, He seems like a cool guy we talked for awhile, i would have just been pissed off if i had to buy a new pilot chute. well if any moderators reads this you can delete this thread~thanks all

Thus my previous response (post #11).

Skydiving is a small community. You just ripped an Instructor a new one. Personal attacks on a forum are like shredding a feather pillow on top of a mountain. You can try and gather all the feathers as they scatter in the wind, but you probably won't retrieve them all. :(

steveOrino

I just seen Matt this weekend. I have known Matt for years and even I have a super hard time getting in touch with him for a few different buisness dealings. So becareful in the future of who and how quick you start bashing someone. It could come back to bite you as being "that person" As you will come to find out Skydiving does not always have the most "grounded people" pardon the pun. I have know of people to let the phone not be paid or internet service lapse just so they could jump that weekend. Glad everything has worked out for you.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

i would have just been pissed off if i had to buy a new pilot chute.

That's what this was all about? A pilot chute?

If $100 pilot chute puts your panties in a bunch, you might be in the wrong sport.

I wouldn't buy a used rig without giving it a once over. A new pilot chute, or at least a fresh kill-line, a new set of slinks, probably a new set of brake lines, a couple of closing loops and a fresh reserve repack. All of that stuff would be $200 or less, and is cheap insurance against whatever the previous owner did to the rig.

So becareful in the future of who and how quick you start bashing someone.

I am still curious how long it has been. If you are in the middle of a deal with someone and you are going to be out of contact for a while, you could always let them know.

I think until we know the timeframe, it is equally premature to tear into the op for airing this. It actually shows how easy it is to make assumptions.

Just my .02 as I don't know either party.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

For some of the facts. I know Matt, the gear and the price!

This guy is a new jumper that bought used gear wanting custom fitting new gear.

I have jumped this rig, it is in great shape for a hell of a price. I would have bought it my self for a back up rig if I was not jumping a much smaller canopy.

For what he got with the rig for the price he should not even be bringing this on to DZ.com

He even wanted Matt to pay for shorting the main lift web.

Here is a break down.
1300 price for container, mirage with tye die everything. Some thing like 4 year old G4.1

2nd brand new set of risers with custom white toggles that cost 165

New pilot chute for 145 with FF handle

Cleaning and inspecting done by a master rigger

Free mirage gear bag 35

He got all that for 1,300

I have bought and sold quite a bit of gear with Matt. He has also been my examiner on many of my ratings.

This is a guy who will shoot you strait at a price that normally cant be beat. If he got the and did not like the deal he should have sent it back which Matt offered many times.

This guy should get off his soap box and stop winning. If I was selling this rig to you I would charge you more just for dealing with you.