Rover

Drogue release failure

Went to release my drogue today but the handle wasn't there. Used the other release and all good. Upon inspection, the cable was in the housing but the handle wasn't. The cable had a clean break either where it goes through the orange tube or at where it meets the housing It was the right hand release on an Atom. I use the right because of handcam. We have decided from now on we'll replace all cables anually.
Has this happened to anyone else?
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

ok im not an instructor and iv only been jumping a year so bear that in mind while reading

i saw this happen last summer on a vector tandem if i remember correctly they asserted that the cause was the rigger making his own handles but doing something wrong with the little metal thing that holds the yellow cable inside the orange handle

he was also cutting the hoop of the cable that was on the inside of the orange handle but i cant remember if that was said to be a cause

like you the instructor went for the handle but it came of in his hand leaving the cable in place and he went for the other handle which worked fine

.... and that's just one of the reasons that they give us 2! Good job, glad that you're safe
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

i saw this happen last summer on a vector tandem if i remember correctly they asserted that the cause was the rigger making his own handles but doing something wrong with the little metal thing that holds the yellow cable inside the orange handle

This is why using only manufacture approved parts is so vital, i just did a tour of the UPT/vector factory in florida and i can tell you they test everything! they know what is to be expected of each individual piece and they have the equipment to test it.
It is very hard to determine if a swage is compressed properly without doing a pull test.

I hope that never happens to me!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

It is very hard to determine if a swage is compressed properly without doing a pull test.

There wasn't a problem with the cable pulling through. It was a clean break, maybe at the swage, maybe not. It did however get my attention....
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

There wasn't a problem with the cable pulling through. It was a clean break, maybe at the swage, maybe not. It did however get my attention....

this is what the instructors thought had happened when it happened last summer aswell

it looked like it had been worn down and had broken just outside the handle but when the rigger saw it he explained how he had cut the cable inside and that is why it looks like that but in fact it must have been the swage not being tight enough

"... from now on we'll replace all cables annually.
Has this happened to anyone else?

"

................................................................................................

That is erring on the side of caution, but basically a good plan.

Strong, UPT and Racer have all issued Service Bulletins related to cables breaking at the end of swages. Some of those cables had thousands of jumps before they broke.