martin245

Robinson R44 + Tandems

The rotor mast won't snap off. The problem with trying it is that there is very little leg room in the rear two seats. It is nearly impossible to have room to gear up the student and safely climb out on to the skids. Now try all of this with a removed door. There are ceiling and weight limitations that make it an improbable tandem platform also.
Wait for the turbine R66 or get an A Star or Long Ranger.;)

I have a difficult time getting out of the front seat of the R44 with a rig on and the door off. I haven't tried jumping from the rear seat, but it seams like it would be a little tight. Also, the uneven weight distribution of two jumpers may be difficult to handle.

Hi guys,

anyone has experience doing tandemjumps out of a Robinson R44?
Any advice?

Thanks,

Martin

Not gonna happen. I don't think most tandem rigs would even fit in the seat, let alone with a person in front of you. I have about 6 jumps out of an R44 and some more time riding around in one to film skydivers exiting from another R44. Most of them just don't do well that high up and it's too tight.

Only way you could do it is standing on the strut the entire climb, hooked up already and that would be QUITE dangerous. Also, you'll not get high enough for enough time to build speed, right yourself, throw the drouge and deploy.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Weight and balance will be a minor consideration since the rear seat is close to the center of gravity and the pilot will only feel a small shift when skydivers exit.
The biggest limitations to R-44 are the small door and small engine.
The small engine limits climb rate, which means that you will pay for a lot of airframe time before you climb to a decent jump altitude (above 6,000 feet for tandems).

Martin

I have about thirty tandems out of a r44 with no problems and three different pilots. All with no incident. The FAA has even been out to my event and had no issues either. The students love the Heli-tandems just like we like heli- jumps. I will give you the ins and outs if you like.
Westside is the best side!

I have 32 out of an R44. smallest was about 5'6",120 to about 6'3" 240ish. No problem. I'm about 5'7" and 160. RR. door removed on opposite side of pilot. Instructor sits with rig against door behind pilot and foot on side of open door. Student sits in rr. seat next to open door. Everyone has belt. Student sits on instructors lap for hookup. Everyone's feet go towards outside of aircraft. Slide across seats and students feet go on skid, 1 instructor foot on skid(left) and right on door frame. 20mph forward speed and forward and turn into bird exit. No launch or kickoff from aircraft. Head down and trans to belly. Toss drogue and deploy normally. Too much fun. Repeat.