seadream91

Making 1st Tandem Jump this weekend ... Any Suggestions

Thanks to EVERYone for all the great info and suggestions! Even though the DZ I'm going to does not use tandem progression (or count tandem dives towards your A license), I DO plan to make it known that I want to be a 'student', not a 'passenger'. I hope to be 'aware' enough to do altimeter checks, pull at the proper altitude and help with canopy control (although I think I'll leave the entirety of the landing to the TM) ... and I'll try not to get too down on myself if sensory overload makes that impossible.

All the helpful info, replies, and encouragement already tell me something positive about the skydiving community. Thanks so much for taking the time to help a 'noob' who really hopes this will be the beginning of the best years of my life!

BLUE SKIES! B|

Your day will be filled with both excitement and a subtle fear of the unknown. Both are normal, both are to expected, both make the day that much more fun. I suggest a light meal and hour or so before you jump. Comfortable clothing, in layers, if you are in a cooler climate. Sneakers on your feet.
Arrive earlier than your scheduled time if you have such an appointment. Enjoy the dropzone, talk with other jumpers, ask questions. Skydivers love to talk, especially about skydiving.
As a TI, there are two things more than others that I teach all of my tandem students, they are basic and important. One, is to breathe. You can breathe normally in freefall. The air is free, but self-serve. Two, ARCH. This is the typical freefall position. It is simply when your bellybutton is closer to the ground than you shoulders and knees. Your instructor will work with you regarding both of these.
The main thing is to have fun. Even if you never jump a second time you will never forget it. Get a video, its great showing it off after T-day dinner!!
Two words that get you in trouble, ALWAYS and NEVER

Enjoy!

1) Breathe
2) ARCH - then ARCH some more!
3) LOOK AROUND in freefall - i always say it is like leaping into a painting!
4) Get the video
5) Hug your TM after you land
6) Realize that you have just done something that the majority of people you will ever know won't - and will not understand why you did!

BTW - I am starting on this incredible Journey at age 61 !!!

Blue Skies, and Safe Landings Always -

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

You and grannyinthesky have given me more inspiration than you can know. All my friends think I've 'lost my mind'; especially to be trying something like this for the first time at 50. Now I don't feel so 'alone' or 'strange'. ;)

Thanks HellFreak & Rover for the 'breathing' suggestions. I've been a little worried about how easy it would be to breathe during freefall; from watching videos it looks like a lot of people tend to hold their breath on exit and during most of freefall. I think I'll be saying "arch and breathe" to myself the whole way up to altitude.

I plan to spend the entire day at the DZ, talking to others and trying to learn as much as I can. I've arranged to get the video and photos in case I don't remember anything about the jump when it's over ... (heaven forbid)!

... and DeNRen, I HAD considered backloops on exit, but I think I might save that for jump #2! ;)

I jump Sunday around 2-3pm. Since I have about 6 hours of total driving time, it may be Monday before I post my impressions. I'll also try to upload some pics and video (I can be a bit technically challenged in that area at times, but I'll do my best).

BLUE SKIES to everyone & have a great weekend! :)

You and grannyinthesky have given me more inspiration than you can know. All my friends think I've 'lost my mind'; especially to be trying something like this for the first time at 50. Now I don't feel so 'alone' or 'strange'. ;)

Thanks HellFreak & Rover for the 'breathing' suggestions. I've been a little worried about how easy it would be to breathe during freefall; from watching videos it looks like a lot of people tend to hold their breath on exit and during most of freefall. I think I'll be saying "arch and breathe" to myself the whole way up to altitude.

I plan to spend the entire day at the DZ, talking to others and trying to learn as much as I can. I've arranged to get the video and photos in case I don't remember anything about the jump when it's over ... (heaven forbid)!

... and DeNRen, I HAD considered backloops on exit, but I think I might save that for jump #2! ;)

I jump Sunday around 2-3pm. Since I have about 6 hours of total driving time, it may be Monday before I post my impressions. I'll also try to upload some pics and video (I can be a bit technically challenged in that area at times, but I'll do my best).

BLUE SKIES to everyone & have a great weekend! :)

Have a great time! It will be unlike ANYTHING you have ever experienced!
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Hi 91,
What took ya' so long?? What ever you do, follow the sound of that "different drummer" and inspite of what your friends, family, co-workers and whoeverelse tries to talk you out of itbecause you'recrazy, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Be the student and not just along for the fun ride!! Keep us posted and HAVE FUN!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

OMG!!!! I canNOT begin to put into words what my first jump experience was like! Is it sufficient to say I signed up for AFF class in the spring?

There are parts of the freefall I don't remember, although in watching the DVD, it's obvious I was 'conscious' (and having a blast) through all of it. I got to steer the canopy most of the way down and have never had so much fun in my life!!

My instructor and videographer were both sweethearts! I don't think I've ever met such friendly people as those I met at the DZ today.

I'm already depressed to think about having to wait until spring to jump again, but I'm NOT a cold weather person and really don't want to do my AFF training during the winter months.

The 'high' of the adrenaline rush has worn off and I'm exhausted, so I'm calling it an early night tonight. Will try to post some pics & video at a later date.

Thanks for all the good info & advice offered here; I know it contributed to making my first jump just that ... the first of many more to come!! ;)

CONGRATS! We TOLD ya so! :) and BTW - there ARE no words to describe that first tandem jump! That is part of what makes this sport so awesome....you have experienced something that is, truly, indescribable.

AFF will be gnawing at your mind soon. "Maybe get in a CAT A and a CAT B before winter steps in for real." It happens. There are a coupla guys in their 80s who jump at my DZ .... they have a ball! I still feel like the youngster at 61! LOL!

I think we are all jealous that we can only get that first jump in once. SO, we keep finding 'other' firsts ...(and buying beer for them!).

Relax, breathe again, and WELCOME TO THE SKIES! :) :) :)

Blue Skies and Safe Landings Always,

SkyPainter
SkyPainter

my hubby did his first jump at 50....he now has over 500 jumps. enjoy the ride....each of them are a gift.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

YAY FOR YOU!! I'm in the "it's going to be a long winter" club, too. It's going to drive me NUTS until I can go again.

*****>> Well, maybe some of us "Warm Weather" jumpers should plan a trip to like, Skydive AZ, sometime in Jan/Feb. We could continue to jump, go through and maybe finish AFF, and have a nice break from the snow and cold!

SkyPainter - seriously thinking about a jump trip in the winter.

SkyPainter

jumpers should plan a trip to like, Skydive AZ, sometime in Jan/Feb. We could continue to jump, go through and maybe finish AFF, and have a nice break from the snow and cold!

SkyPainter - seriously thinking about a jump trip in the winter.

Oh, me too. I jumped twice yesterday and got rained on during one jump and snowed on during the other. Warm and dry sounds really good. :D
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

jumpers should plan a trip to like, Skydive AZ, sometime in Jan/Feb. [snip]

Oh, me too. I jumped twice yesterday and got rained on during one jump and snowed on during the other. Warm and dry sounds really good. :D

****> I can see a DZ.com jump trip evolving in this thread ....maybe we can descend on Arizona en masse!

SkyPainter
SkyPainter

It obviously different in the States. No one in Aust allows the student to deploy the main ect. Unless they do the full TAF 2 day course. The students gets a steer of the toggles for a minute or so and thats it HANDS OFF FOR LANDING. Hopefully no lurn turns would be good also. (see incident reports)

have fun .. smile at the camera (You must get the dvd) its great watching over and over with friends and family. Like others have said you may be consumed of thoughts of jumping all the time and driving everyone mad talking about it. Look forward to reading your jumping report.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??