seadream91

Making 1st Tandem Jump this weekend ... Any Suggestions

I'm signed up for my 1st tandem jump this weekend and I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions any of you could offer. I'm 50, female, and have never done anything quite this 'extreme', but I've always wanted to try skydiving. Any suggestions or advice prior to my 1st tandem would be most appreciated.

If there's time, talk to your tandem instructor ahead of time and ask them to teach you something about what you're getting ready to do. I was the only tandem passenger on my load who had an instructor that was actually talking about the jump and the gear and I think I got a lot more out of it than the others did. It just depends on what you're looking for out of the experience, but I thought it was GREAT to feel like I was part of the process.
TPM Sister #102

Well, let's see....

If you are prone to motion sickness, take a couple Ginger tablets an hour before. And don't look straight down.

RELAX! Make a conscious effort. Say it to yourself while breathing slowly. I know, sounds stupid, but when that door opens at 13K it's a whole 'nother world!

Repeat the instructors directions, and double check on the way to altitude. I froze on exit and he had to pry my arms out....

The noise is loud. The first step is a biggie...but after that you are not falling, at least to your perception. Really, it doesn't feel like it.

If you can participate with turns or altimeter checks, or canopy, DO IT! It's fun and takes your mind off the crazy thing you just did.

And if you feel so-so afterwards, don't worry. It took me three days to process everything that happened, before I realized I wanted to do it again.

Tell us how things went, I love comparing experiences - especially from jumpers in my own jump range...:)

(Oh, and smile at the videographer if you got one - and watch them drop away when your canopy opens, that is too cool!)
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Be a student, not a passenger. Insist on being given the training and the opportunity to deploy the main parachute and to help with canopy control after it is open. Ask lots of questions. Keep your eyes open. Smile. Breathe. Get video if you can afford it.

And then after you land, head directly to manifest and sign up for your AFF first jump course. B|

Like everyone has said, have fun, be a student not a passenger.
Dress in layers so you can peel or put on garments as needed for the weather.
Make sure you are fully hydrated.
'Try' to sleep the night before.
Above all, enjoy!
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I think the best thing you can do has already been said. Ask to be educated. Do your instructor a BIG favor and relax..... I'm talking rag doll relaxed. Most of all have fun :)
- The advice and opinions given here do not reflect those of dz.com its affiliates or users. Please enjoy our experience responsibly.

Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

A good yahoo after exit. Air out air in, message to self - relax. Every so often someone gives me the "I couldn't breath" routine. I think they hold their breathe like diving into water, forget to exhale and then mentally shutdown. The yahoo helps get over that situation.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I'd love to have that 1st time experience again! It was awesome!!!

The only advice I can give to another chick is to remove all of your jewelry and if your hair is long, try to do a braid or something like that. Skydiving gives us "long hairs" wicked hair knots if you're not prepared!!

Make sure you come back and tell us how it went!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

Make REAL SURE that you know that the person that you are talking to about making your jump actually works at the location that you will be jumping at. This is very important information. Make sure that the DZ is not in any way affiliated with the company called 1 800 Skyride, Adventure Skydiving, Thrill Planet, IGOVincent and/or quite a few other aliases. They are a scam.
I'm not going to burn up a lot of time here explaining the situation because almost each and every user here knows the deal, just go to the thread on DZ.com Forums that's titled "What can we do about Skyride II" for more information. This is another good reference for information; http://1800skyrideripoff.com/Skydiving/skyride/
If the person you are trying to schedule with asks you where you are before they tell you where they are or they are in a big hurry to get your credit card number, hang up the phone because only REAL Skydive Centers will openly tell you their physical locations. Keep in mind that if the place is real, it doesn't matter to that person where you live. Often Most places will direct you to a DZ that is closer to you anyway. Not all, but most.
Be careful and don't get screwed. Check the references I have listed here and you will see indisputable proof that I am telling you the truth.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Relax, smile, get video, photos, come back and tell us how it was, post pictures and link to video, tell all your friends. Repeat with some student progression.
Be prepared for it to be life changing. Smile some more-show video to friends. You are about to step into the most awesome community there is. Did i say smile? Enjoy.
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"

I was the only tandem passenger on my load who had an instructor that was actually talking about the jump and the gear and I think I got a lot more out of it than the others did. It just depends on what you're looking for out of the experience, but I thought it was GREAT to feel like I was part of the process.
\\

I'm glad to hear that. I treat each tandem passenger as if this is their first of many jumps. I explain the gear checks, AAD, and opening altitudes to them. On the actual jump, I have them check canopy, find the windsock and DZ, and have them fly and land the canopy with me. I also let them know that their tandem counts as their first student jump, and that they are one jump closer to their A license. Few ever make a 2nd jump, but I want to let them know it's a possibility and give them a good head start.:)

I love the fact that you said your first tandem because if you like it like I did, it won't be your last. It's a fantastic experience. Just have fun, enjoy the view and get ready to sign up for your next jump. :)
I did my first jump October of last year at 57 years old and was instantly hooked.

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Don't do it!!! The only thing that will happen is that you brain will be consumrd with jumping out of friggen airplanes. Then on top of that you'll go almost totally broke buying that shiney new gear. Your life is going to change.

Blue Skies B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Skydiving gives us "long hairs" wicked hair knots if you're not prepared!!

AIR KNOTS.

AERO KNOTS.

AERO NAUTS.

AERO NUTS.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

OH--and I don't think it has been mentiioned yet, but EAT SOMETHING FIRST. It's good to have something on your stomach before you jump. If you're anything like I was, you'll be starving after you jump as well. There's something about all that adrenaline that kicks in and makes you ravenous. ;)

TPM Sister #102

I treat each tandem passenger as if this is their first of many jumps. I explain the gear checks, AAD, and opening altitudes to them. On the actual jump, I have them check canopy, find the windsock and DZ, and have them fly and land the canopy with me. I also let them know that their tandem counts as their first student jump, and that they are one jump closer to their A license. Few ever make a 2nd jump, but I want to let them know it's a possibility and give them a good head start.:)

That's fantastic! Keep it up. Real involvement in the jump is a lot more fun than just being along for the ride (in my opinion, anyway).
TPM Sister #102