towerrat

Tandem Burnout

Got pretty close to being burned out this past year, 1300 jumps, 1100 0f them tandem.

Got over it by switching from mostly tandems to mostly video and AFF. Having all your ratings (and using them) not only makes you more valuable to the dz, but it helps keep things fresh.

The funnest days I have are when I get to do all three.:)

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

I quit doing tandems for a little bit. Then I traveled to a couple of different DZs so I wouldn't be tempted or talked into doing some tandems.

After a little bit of time away (it only took a few weeks for me), I was ready to start doing them again. That is with the understanding that I would not be the top guy on the rotation. I didn't want to be top on the rotation anymore, I also wanted to have more time for fun jumping.

So now I really enjoy my tandems again.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I got over it because I came to the realization that I ahve been responsible for someone else's well being for 3000 jumps or so. I don't want to have something that could be out of my control dictate the fate of an unsuspecting passenger. Canopies collapse, turbulance happens, students put their feet down on landings. I saw too much and had things happen to friends that just made me think. I can do everything right and WE could still die. I would much rather if something is going to happen then let it happen to me. I know it seems silly but that's just how this brain works

Maybe it would help if you gave some of your tandem work to the part time TM's at the DZ.
Then you could focus on AFF and swooping.
;)

I'm just sayin....
seriously though...
Does maybe having a few more memorable ones help? Sometimes you get that one...that just reminds you of why you like doing tandems?
Doing tandems at some other DZ once in awhile maybe to change the environment?

Thankfully I haven't gotten to that point and hopefully never will. I only have about 80 tandems this year because I jump at a single cessna dz. Those #'s are fine with me though. It gives me a chance to hang out and actually talk to the students.
Unfortunately it works different for everyone. A good friend of mine that I went through tandem training with is burned out already with the same number of jumps as me in half the number of weekends, 80 tandems and less than 20 fun jumps.
He is selling all his gear and giving up jumping.
Such a shame. [:/]

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

I swear. I don't know how you guys do it. Day in, day out. Work, work, work. And yes, I realize there's some fun involved in it.

It's amazing to me that there's not yet recognized a medical condition for "Tandem Burnout".

My hat's off to you guys.

Were I a DZO, I would NOT hammer anyone for taking time away to get back on a good mental track...regardless of what it took.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Were I a DZO, I would NOT hammer anyone for taking time away to get back on a good mental track...regardless of what it took.

Unfortunately, when a DZO is short staffed and stressed, not to mention a bit territorial, they get very upset with their instructors if they dare take a weekend off or *gasp!* jump elsewhere. The DZO really does make all the difference with staffing and burnout. Skydivingchad's and my new DZOs understand the need for fun jumps too, and the need to take a break occasionally, and are very supportive of us when we need that, to the point they are willing to reschedule students if necessary to keep their instructors happy and on staff.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Learn to have fun with it.

778 tandems last year.
About 750 so far this year.

I'm very close to having more tandems than sport jumps, and I have a lot of fun with them. Smile while you jump and find new ways to challenge yourself.

Im looking forward to winter to start skiing, but also look forward to another full time season next year.

PS, I also take december to early march off from jumping, unless its really nice.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

got tired of it and just wanted to have more fun jumps with my wife, once I started jumping with her more I realized that I could not go back to tandems or any type of "working" jump and let all the ratings go to the way side. it's all fun now.
just like it was when i started jumping.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

yeah, what johnny said

Find new ways to challenge yourself on tandems. Sometimes just Having a accuracy competition with the other TM's is a fun way to keep the day exciting.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I gat tired at the end of a big day and the customer may not get as much attention as most of my other jumps etc, but burned out? I don't see that ever happening?

I go on holoday and spend all my savings on fun jumping and competions as well as the travelling and stuff associated with it. If i didn't feel like it i would go sowboarding in the french alps or to a tropical island.

If you don't have rostered days off, or take any time off then you are asking to be burned out, wet weather days and windy days don't contitute 'time off'.

And a change is as good as a holiday!

have fun, if you aren't most of the time.... do something else.

:P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I don't know how you guys do it but I'm sure grateful that you do. I've done several tandem jumps with you, including my 1st. They were life changing experiences for me and a large part of that was having you as my instructor. I know I probably shouldn't have responded to this post but I thought it might help a little to know that you are appreciated

I don't know how you guys do it but I'm sure grateful that you do. I've done several tandem jumps with you, including my 1st. They were life changing experiences for me and a large part of that was having you as my instructor. I know I probably shouldn't have responded to this post but I thought it might help a little to know that you are appreciated

+1 You guys rule. :)

Many of the responses are from TMs who skydive fulltime. As a former part-timer, who only worked on the weekends, I have a slightly different perspective.

I started doing tandems because i enjoyed working with students and I figured it would help reduce the cost of skydiving. At first, it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I did 50/50 tandems and fun jumps. As the season went on, it became almost 100% tandems and the pace was so fast that I had minimal interaction with my students. Taking a break from tandems and getting in some fun jumps isn't easy to do when you know that if you come out of the rotation, then not all of the tandems will get jumped that day. Eventually it became a job that just happened to involve skydiving and all of the fun was gone. Tandems just don't pay enough if you aren't having any fun, so I stopped doing them.

I have been doing part time work since April of 02' and just went over 1000 tandems yesterday (out of the sport for two years due to injury). Always have tried to make a point with the DZO/manager that I am the "prn" or "as needed guy", seems to work rather well. I get in the regular rotation on a busy Saturday and fill in on the weekdays when not at my "real" job. This way, I still enjoy doing tandems and keep it fun!

Hey brother...I have about 1500 tandems now and about the same amount of AFF jumps. If you are tired of one discipline, then just don't put your name on the board and focus more on your AFF (which you NOW now is a very serious thing) or maybe just start fucking off and jumping wingsuits(or whatever) for fun more often with me. If you think it's "work" then it's just going to suck. Man, what we do is supposed to be FUN!! Right?

Chuck

If you are tired of one discipline, then just don't put your name on the board and focus more on your AFF .

it doesn't work like that at most of the places i have worked, If you work there, you work on your rostered days on, which is 7 days a week in most cases. definately not for everyone but I know nothe different.

if it is a fine day, and i am not jumping.... i feel a certain kind of emptiness!

I love it and live for it!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have never had that problem, most of the places I have worked understand the need to take a rest every now and then, right now i am in another state working for another operator for a bit of a change, then I am going Home to NZ for some snowboarding. no problem.then back to 7 days (on call) a week in Cairns.

It is important to know how many staff you will have before the day begins if you are a busy tandem operation.

each place has different need however.

Are you or have you been burned out on tandems? If so, what are your numbers. If you got over it, what did you do?

As I approach 10000 jumps, I can't bring myself to work out how many are tandems, but it's kind of like a marathon race. You hit the wall after so many, and if you want to continue, you have to push through it. After which, you're sort of numb to them. I find that if you can't do that, you should stop for a while, because they will eventually drive you insane.