shortyj

Most memoriable tandem student?

The one guy that kept trying to grab his toes! After we opened I asked what he had been trying to do and he told me " that he want'd to go head down real fast, just like the James Bond movie I saw last week!"

Jim, what did you train him to do in freefall?

Did he see a video of a tandem jump during training?
Did he have any idea what the drogue was for?

How old was he? Did he come with a group that perhaps thought they were going to "outdo" each other?

Things like this totally amaze me. It describes a person that doesn't even seem to know what a skydive is.

I'll throw in a story. I wasn't the TI, but shooting vid on this one. The guy was in his 50s, out of shape, and apparently suffered from asthma. Mark got him out of the 182, on the step, and right about the time he rolled off, the guy "went to sleep" on him. He woke up at some point shortly after the canopy opened. Told Mark "Son, I just shit myself!" Writing that was enough to make me laugh about it again.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

My most memorable tandem student was someone I met last year in Ecuador. I had the honor taking Rafael Correa, the President of the country on a tandem skydive. As far as I know, he is the only president to make a skydive while actually serving in office.

We were in a C-130, with only about 10 people in it. 3 of which were his security personnel that jumped out after us and followed us down in case we landed off.

We jumped into a beach town dropzone (cover of the Feb '09 issue of Parachutist) and I remember standing on the tailgate of the C-130 looking down at the Pacific Ocean thinking "10 years ago I used to work for a bank in Boston and here I am now on a tailgate with the President of Ecuador. This skydiving thing is pretty cool."

Tom

P.S. - I'm happy to report that President Correa just got re-elected to another term in office. Boogie Ecuador 2010, maybe we'll make another jump together!

I trained him as part of a group of eight. The training included a briefing of the entire jump including arch training on a trampoline and an exit and arch review before boarding the plane plus a verbal review after hook-up before exit! The others in the group were fine. We get a few gangbangers that try to outdo each other once in a while including flashing gang sign for the video!

We get a few gangbangers that try to outdo each other once in a while including flashing gang sign for the video!

Thanks, that would explain it! I guess I can't imagine putting myself in that much danger, especially in a sport I am not familiar with, and don't understand the dangers.

1. All the ones who landed passed out.
2, All the one who landed and puked, yes we keep the film rolling!
3. This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU9tuN5jVoI (fast forward to right after the 6K alti shot)

The audio was removed for copyright violation. Who was having the conversation with the student, and what were they talking about?

What was being said is not important...

Well I'm kind of thinking that it was. I somehow don't think they were going over the dive flow.

But if they were doing the big yee-haw thing for the video, the student might have thought that he should be utilizing his acting skill using an important piece of gear for a prop.

I'm used to periodic "interviews" of the student during the gear-up, climb, etc., but this guy was going on for a long time before the "climax".

I beleive it was:

Are you getting scared yet?

I'm not scared, hell no I'm not scared, This guys is.... (as he reaches to hit/pat on TI's arm, yank)

What makes the hole things is the 100 jump kid face in the back. (I guess you had to be there)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I wouldn't say most memorable, but funny. I am riding front during my tandem cert and the TI candidate (John) and I were supposed to a normal tandem jump. So we exit the a/c at 12k and do one front flip and get stable belly to earth by 11k.:) then 9k comes and I look back no drogue, np. :| 8k goes by and I look back no drogue, hmmm.....[:/] So we are are approaching 7k and I am reaching for the drogue when he sets it. :oWe deploy at 6k and land with no issues. After the jump and we are in the office, I ask him what took him so long to set drogue on this great jump. He says I was waiting for it to get stable and settle out. I laugh my ass off :ph34r: since we were stable for over 4k feet. I told him next time not to wait so long.:o

v/r
Paul
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you!"

I ask him what took him so long to set drogue on this great jump. He says I was waiting for it to get stable and settle out. I laugh my ass off :ph34r: since we were stable for over 4k feet.

Wow, that's scary to me.:S Wouldn't you say there was a lack of situational awareness?[:/]

I have to give him some credit though, it was his 3rd tandem jump and he wasn't sure what it woudl "feel like". ;) So now he does and he is good at it. :)Being an up jumper though, um yeah I was scared. :o
It's all good though, we all learn from experience! B|

v/r
Paul
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you!"

Paul...I was only just trying to progress a little faster...and wanted us to both get to tandem terminal BEFORE the actual tandem terminal jump...don't you get that? Lol. Good times, good times.

On the other note, my first student was an 82 year old man. I didn't know he was 82 until we landed and I disconnected him, he rolled over and laid on the ground and said to me..."Young man, I'm 82 years old, and I've never lived a day in my life until today." He surely put me through a wild ride, but that ending comment was SO worth it!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

On the other note, my first student was an 82 year old man. I didn't know he was 82 until we landed and I disconnected him, he rolled over and laid on the ground and said to me..."Young man, I'm 82 years old, and I've never lived a day in my life until today." He surely put me through a wild ride, but that ending comment was SO worth it!

If that is the case I think your sense of judgement is competely flawed and you have no business taking tandems. Older people are more prone to injuries such as fractures that at that age can ultimately be fatal. Suggest you take a step back and look at yourself. Don't let your ego get in the way of your abilities!!
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

What exactly did I just get flamed for? Not knowing the man was 82? I knew he was elderly, but I'm terribly sorry that I didn't know he was one year over 81 and one year before 83. When it comes to tandems, I'm extremely humble with my ability, b/c I've already had my ass showed up and handed to me. If I'm to be flamed in a "Remember something nice while skydiving thread", please, PM me instead. I'd love for this thread to remain open for all to share their memories, not critique, especially when neither of us knows each other.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Rover, don't make snap judgements on people....:|
iambeav2 was sharing a story and let's leave it at that. ;)
you obviously don't know the background nor do you know the person. :o
you drew alot of heartache from a simple post.....:|
how very judgemental and hypocritical....:S
as he states, let's enjoy this thread and revel in people's shared memories.....:)Cheers!

v/r
Paul

Maybe I've been around to long and seen to many people get hurt. imbeave2 shared a story which in my opinion showed poor judgement. The fact that the organisation he jumps for allowed him to do it is beyond belief - assuming that in the US there is a probationary period where a new TI must be supervised. I fail to see where I have shown any hypocrisy. If by hurting someones feelings I have made someone out there think about the future consequences of their actions, I'll lose no sleep.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

imbeave2 shared a story which in my opinion showed poor judgement. The fact that the organisation he jumps for allowed him to do it is beyond belief

What exactly are you upset about? That he took an elderly person on a tandem at all? Or that he didn't know the guy's exact age?

imbeave2 shared a story which in my opinion showed poor judgement. The fact that the organisation he jumps for allowed him to do it is beyond belief

What exactly are you upset about? That he took an elderly person on a tandem at all? Or that he didn't know the guy's exact age?

Maybe the fact he took an 82 year on old on his first jump as a Tandem Instructor!!! That's how I read it.
Journey not destination.....

weren't you the guy who introduced himself as somebody taking along punters while chucking drogues and shoving cameras up their faces?

maybe you've been araound sometime, but maybe you havent learned when to.... nevermind [:/]

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666