shortyj

Most memoriable tandem student?

"... she grabbed the stabilizer (diagonal bar that goes from the wing to the body of the airplane). ..."

...................................................................................................

It is called a "wing strut."

Well only if you want to call it by its correct name:P
http://3ringnecklace.com/

From another perspective...

My husband and I were in car crash almost 6 years ago. He didn't make it. After 3 years of wondering what to do with the wooden box, I have decided to scatter it during a skydive. This was my first ever jump. The tandem instructor was probably as nervous as I was, thou he probably knew more what to expect...

When we landed, I could only say "I want to do it again. I just dont have any more ashes". He asked me to do the aff.

I am 2.5 years later with 320 jumps, jump master rating and training as a judge. I found different meaning in life, new family and amazing place when the door of the plane opens...

The TI should be proud of our jump - indeed it changed my life ;-) Kevin - thank you! it definitely was memorable for me.

;-)

...The NFL player - tight end....

are you saying he had a nice tight end or he played the position of the tight end?? :P

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

... or he played the position of the tight end?? :P

Sad to say that after many years of playing the position of tight end he gradually became a wide receiver.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

so you wanna hear a story of a student that decided to stay in the plane? i have one (happened to a friend): load from a cessna 182 RG (the one with retractable gear). pax decided he didn't want to jump, so they rode the plane down - only to find out that the front wheel wouldn't want to come out, so they had to pump it out manually B| after unenventfull landing pax admited, that had he know earlier what could happen on landing, he would have jumped :)

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Last year at the ranch NY, I was ground briefing a group of three. I was supposed to jump with one of the guys. I guess I inspired confidence cause the girl and her BF requested I jump with her. She was terrified. The whole ride up she was hyperventalating and stating. "I can't do this" I gave my best talk and her BF did also. When it was time I just stood up and walked to the door. She was screaming no the whole time. When we got to the door she didn't grab the bar or the otter door, so we went. Screaming the whole time. She wouldn't let go of the harness and was screaming and hyperventalating under canopy. When we landed she said she would never do this again. After talking to her after I realized she didn't grab the plane to prevent exiting cause she had her eyes closed. She said she opened them a couple of times after the parachute opened but only for a few seconds. I sorta felt bad after that. Cause I really forced her to go. If she had grabbed the door I wouldn't have gone. I didn't realize she had her eyes closed. Also funny, the first thing she said to me when we met was "the girls in the office told me to tell you that I have implants" yup best rack money could buy. For a second I was tempted to say. OK I have to see them so I know how to adjust the harness, but my professional judgment prevailed.

How about the really scared students? Anyone have one who was scared sh**less and wouldn't jump? I heard about one today at my DZ. I guess they're not really memorable, just sad that they missed an awesome opportunity.

Most people have seen this but if you havent its a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIyxHL2Og3Y
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

yep, some of them are screamers. in fact i tell all of my passengers that they are free to scream if they want to - at least i know they are breathing ;)
last year one of them gave me the performance of his live: as soon as we exited he was screaming at the top of his lungs (the video guy said he heard him!) for the whole part of freefall and even after opening he didn't want to stop. I don't know what came out of this guy, but is was very powerfull. maybe he was on some sort of cathartic trip, i don't know.... hardest part was getting him to stop and take up normal breathing again as i didn't want him to hyperventilate and pass out...
i don't think he'll ever jump again and i guess many TI's can share similar experiences

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I had a small lady about 8 years ago, she had so much nervous energy at the loading area I conned her into doing push-ups. Just to give her a channel for it. When we left the plane she screamed, screamed the whole freefall. Opened, she was still screaming. I yelled are you ok? She said "Yes, thousands of dollars of therapy and all I ever really needed to do was jump out of an airplane" I laughed and said yes this is the best therapy in the world. As we all know, but very funny how she instantly recognized it

Another hilarious tandem jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8TsLR-tHo

The guy is really scared sh**less!!! I think he is actually crying towards the end... I love how the TI tries to make jokes to have him relax lol

Funny! But I empathize with that supposed fear--I don't like roller coasters. I still think there's no feeling better than flying. Roller coasters do not make you feel like you're flying.

I had one who was so scared he started puking right after we tightened the laterals . On our knees in a 182 facing forward at the door. Must have been 1.5 gallons of puke... before I could get the puke bag out of his harness. he caught his breath just as we got on top... I asked do you want to ride the plane down??? He looked between his legs at the steaming pile he had deposited and said "hell no I aint riding down with this shit" I gave the quickest cut, door and exit while giving the pilot one of those sorry about this BUT SEE YA looks...............Dude was fine after that... Nothing left to spew I suppose.B|B|B|

Talk about one pissed off pilot.... He made the guy clean his mess up.......OH yeah there was the barrel roll just prior to the hookup Fuckers both got what they deseved.....LOL

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

...as soon as we exited he was screaming at the top of his lungs (the video guy said he heard him!)...

+1
I was vidiot on one such jump. The scream was so loud that the camera recorded it even if it was in the box and in freefall. :S
dudeist skydiver #42

I've read some pretty great threads on this forum and this one by far takes the cake.

The one about the mother whos son had died in Iraq really hit me hard. I was crying at work after reading that one.

It's stories like that that make me want to become a ti(start my AFF in April) its gotta be such a great feeling to become part of an amazing experience in someone else's life.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

...as soon as we exited he was screaming at the top of his lungs (the video guy said he heard him!)...

+1
I was vidiot on one such jump. The scream was so loud that the camera recorded it even if it was in the box and in freefall. :S

Yeah My mom did this on her tandem too!
http://3ringnecklace.com/