Guru312

Status of night tandem jumps...

Anti-Windblast handles worked fine when you pulled like you're supposed to pull any ripcord handle - in a direction in-line with the ripcord housing. And that was if they were drilled out or not. And for the times they were the most snag resistant type handle available. There were some issues with the non-drilled out blast handles when jumpers tried pulling them at right angles, and a few other early jumpers mistook their open Capewell covers for the blast handle. I think it was the Brits (BPA) who banned them first then USPA followed suit like little ducklings.

What was really dangerous was a lot of people switched over to those white plastic reserve handles with the thin center post (because they were cheap) but as soon as the weather turned cold when the handle hit the swedge during a pull they shattered like glass . . .

NickD :)

USPA did what many organizations do; they tried to fix a training problem by throwing regulations at. Hundreds of jet pilots and air crew were able to figure the “Blast Handle” out and most of them had never jumped. Hell in those days you could have a right hand pull a left hand pull even a cross hand pull. That was just the main, on reserves you could have right, center, left and that was before including handles on the MLW. Anyone too dumb to pull their reserve handle is too dumb to jump. There was never any “official” recall or AD issued on the blast handle that I know of but there were a least 2 AD’s issued by the FAA on plastic handles. AD-80-13-01 and AD- 84-10-03

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Damn big perm!

Sure, I think your just the person I want to get to know.
The type that calls my DZ because this little discussion got your panties in a bunch.:S

Did it hurt your feelers:D

Awwwwww! thats so cute.

I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Hey Jason, The reason I talked to Curley is that I did not want him to think that I was telling people there is no DZ in North Alabama. I have been a friend of Curley for a long time and I would not do anything to hurt him or his dropzone. Auctually I have sent several people down to Cullman to skydive. I do not know why you and I seem to have a problem, but I would be happy to sit down with you and work it out. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes by talking to the girl at the convenience store. I talk to everyone I meet about skydiving. I usually try to stay out of the politics of skydiving. I only got on dz.com to explain the fact that ASC does not do night tandems. I am trying to offer an olive branch here. If you want to accept it, great. If not, well I tried.
Blue skies,
Fast Eddie
Let's have some FUN !!!