Spike

Would you do a TM qualification jump?

HI all, I just compleated my Vector/Sigma course with Bram Clement in Z-hills.
MY jumps
1 solo
2 as pasenger, Bram T-I
3 as T-I, Bram as pasenger
4 "
5 "
6 as T-I my wife as pasenger
7 as T-I Bram as pasenger USPA cat.B dive
8 T-I wife as pasenger
9 T-I Bram as pasenger
10 T-I wife as pasenger

Out of 10 tandem jumps Bram was with me on 6. I would not want to be a TE because I would not want to trust a new T-I but he did/does. I think if you wanted to be a TE you should jump as pasenger. OFcourse what do I know!;)
------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, Bram is a badass. Such a patient and very experienced teacher. I watched him do an AFF-I course at my DZ...watched in awe and learned from watching him teach others.

Ok, secondly, I know my TI CD rode with me for the first 5 tandems and he refuses to let anyone but himself do the "really bad student" dive...you know, the tandem terminal dive.

Maybe there are some bad CD's out there, that don't have the skill or confidence to ride up front and/or teach correctly, but I haven't seen one yet. If anything the RWS CD's I've seen are motivated to teach and want to "ride bitch" so to help teach before handing off the canidate to some other lucky bastard.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who have voted yes did a tandem for their first jump or somewhere during their student progression.

Irrespective of how they entered or progressed in the sport Tandem Instructor Candidates in the UK have to have made a descent acting as a Student Tandem Parachutist (i.e. on the front) within the previous six months prior to the course. This is a good thing, especially if you've never done one before, so that you can experience what it is like since it is quite different to solo jumping. I think people forget how uncomfortable a (non Sigma) harness can be if adjusted wrongly!

However, they are not required to have made a cutaway, like in the States.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Not required here either, for some systems.

RWS doesn't require a sport cutaway, since according to Mr. Booth, a sport cutaway does nothing to train you for a cutaway on a different system, with different handles, with a much larger decision tree, etc.

Not required here either, for some systems.

RWS doesn't require a sport cutaway, since according to Mr. Booth, a sport cutaway does nothing to train you for a cutaway on a different system, with different handles, with a much larger decision tree, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I always thought that Strong's requirement for one solo cutaway was a screening method, to confirm that you could keep your wits about you doing scary, unusual events.

Irrespective of how they entered or progressed in the sport Tandem Instructor Candidates in the UK have to have made a descent acting as a Student Tandem Parachutist (i.e. on the front) within the previous six months prior to the course. This is a good thing, especially if you've never done one before, so that you can experience what it is like since it is quite different to solo jumping. I think people forget how uncomfortable a (non Sigma) harness can be if adjusted wrongly!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Every aspiring TI should have to do at least one jump on the front, just to remind him of how the student feels.

Similarly, most CSPA Instructor courses require candidates to play "stupid student" while another candidate practices instructing. Playing "stupid student" is mandatory. If a Canadian instructor candidate refuses to jump with a Manta and an FXC, he fails the course.
The only exception is PFF courses, where the Course Conductor plays "stupid student."

I always thought that Strong's requirement for one solo cutaway was a screening method, to confirm that you could keep your wits about you doing scary, unusual events.

Sure, well, it obviously proved right since I had no sport cutaways and still have no sport cutaways, but I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with a sidespin and 2 cutaways since I've become a TI.

I guess since I never had a sport cutaway I'm obviously not able to keep my wits about me during unusual events while doing tandems.

Yup...i'm not thinking real clear right now, and can't remember the altitude for drogue through but we hit tandem terminal while I fought to get us off our back.

Rought on the gear, but a good learning tool.

Ok, secondly, I know my TI CD rode with me for the first 5 tandems and he refuses to let anyone but himself do the "really bad student" dive...you know, the tandem terminal dive.

Personnaly I liked the tandem-terminal dive. Did one as passenger (with another candidate) and one as a TM for my license with one lift pause.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I never did a tandem, my daughter did one. I think they are a great thing. However, on rare occasions the student TI either kills, or tries to kill, the 2 of you. ( firing the reserve right into a malfunction !!!!! ) If I was tandem rated I would ride on the front, however, it's only fair to reciprocate. ( No, Russell, I dont mean a 'reach around ' !!!!!)

"Far too few skydiving instructors understand the difference between military screening methods and civilian teaching methods."

I must say that I agree completely on this one. :| Too many people out there think riding front is a game......:| not cool. [:/]

Cheers! :)

v/r
Paul
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you!"