pterodactyl1986

iFLY King of Prussia, PA

Does anyone have any experience at this particular site?

Minus the crazy price of 1k an hour, when I called and asked if they had any coaches that specialized in pre-AFF/afp coaching they didn't really have an answer for me on what the differences in the coaching would be.

I definitely need help with my turns, but i do not want to reinforce or start any bad habits or muscle memory

Go to a particular tunnel's facebook page and scroll down a bunch.

Look for discounted flying events like "league nights", "overnight camps", standby time, summer coached time (probably ends soon if not already) - many ways to save but it is never cheap.

Coaching - when you enter the tunnel there is always what they call an instructor (technically not a "coach" but they can help with the basics) with you looking out for your safety - belly turns aren't rocket science for most instructors to help you with but more advanced skills may require a higher level coach. INstructors most always advance to different levels of coach status.

Go to the tunnel early a couple of hours - watch the pros fly - hangout and strike up conversations with the staff folks flying with newbies to get an idea of who is higher level coaches or instructors that can help you.

OBTW people assisting you a good bit to learn what you want do deserve tips -

Good Luck

I burned a some money there last year when they had a 4min for $50 deal going. I went there for the same reason but if you're just looking for help with turns, 10 minutes is probably all you need and any instructor/coach there should be able to help. In the tunnel they want you flat as a board with your hands close to your head to keep the wind speed down. While this does work in the sky, if you're tall and skinny like me, you outfloat everyone including some AFF Instuctors. That's the main difference I noticed anyway its been a while since I went. turning in the tunnel was no different than in the sky for me. Looking over your shoulder still turns you in that direction and leg turns still work The same just keep in mind they'll likely be faster in the sky

One other thing for you to do while you're in there is work on your wave off and pull. Try to remain in the the same spot without turning through the whole sequence. You should be able to fly the pull position. Yes again it'll be a little different in the sky but if you can remain stable while going slower, deployment are more likely to be softer.

Well I made my way to Ifly. Definitely a lot different than being in the sky, not as much fun as freefall.
Biggest difference I noticed was the pressure difference on the legs, much harder to make smaller adjustments in the tunnel at least it felt that way for me.
I purchased a small 10 minute session for next time, I think it is a good tool for progression, but I don't see myself becoming a tunnel rat

husslr187

Probably have the wind speed set to barely enough to float you. its a little harder but not much. Until you have complete control, they're not likely to turn the wind up. More wind equals higher speed mistakes/collisions with walls

I asked about this, they said they did vary it per jumper weight. But I did not have "high" flight. I think it just a matter of time, i need more seat time basically.
I can see how it would be a great training tool, but for the price I think I will just get the basics down before I go to AFF, I can't imagine putting in 100s of hours in the tunnel