peek

altimeter simulation for training in tunnels

We know that there are standalone altimeter simulators and similar altimeter "apps" for mobile devices, for use with student training.

However, I have heard that some tunnels do not allow any "extra" devices in the tunnel.

Does anyone know if anyone has written an altimeter program for Windows/laptops (or Apple devices/OS) that sits outside a wind tunnel, for similar training? (Stopped and started by a "helper" I assume.)

Or, do the "time remaining" displays in tunnels have this option?

how about that ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QKqth2Jfo
make it full screen on a tablet and start it from the outside by a helper?
Ok, not very amazing and only for 11k feet and ends at 3k, but for free ;-)

Or film a student altimeter training device from 12k > 0 and play that video on a tablet
something similar to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x61mv-oGWtk
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

In my experience, tunneltime for "students" (which are mostly firsttimers or newbies) is meant to get them into good bodypositions, teach them to deal with airflow, practicing turns and forward/backward/upward/downward movements.
timers in the tunnel are for the organisation and the instructors to know when you have to leave the chamber .. ;)

Of course the tunnelcrew doesn´t want to have altimeters or such stuff get loose from the student (or experienced) and rush into the fans of the engine ...
:S

I do not see the need for a kind of altimetercheck/ -display as I would suppose that to be a part of the AFF program at the DZ.
dealing with the remaining time, giving signals to both (or one) AFF I fits more into groundschool on the DZ ...

But what do I know ...

--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Hajo

... I do not see the need for a kind of altimeter check/ -display as I would suppose that to be a part of the AFF program at the DZ. Dealing with the remaining time, giving signals to both (or one) AFF I fits more into ground school on the DZ.

As I discuss this with more and more people experienced with tunnel to AFF training, I am finding that many think as you do, and I have usually thought that way too.

I think that traditionally, instructors have been worried that the "unlimited" time in the tunnel would cause an AFF student to forget to look at their altimeter often enough.

But I think that as soon as a tunnel trained AFF student experiences the noise, temperature, wind, and visual changes on their first AFF jump, that they would quickly change to "skydive" mode.