2 2
philh

Are Ifly encouraging bad body position?

On 2/7/2019 at 1:43 AM, Paul Towmy said:

It's not possible to fly the box position as a beginner, as far as I can tell, because they insist on a set speed which is too low to support it. I managed to figure that out after my first flight.

Having previously done 300+ real skydives, I was able to figure that out. After 10+ years out of the sport, I had hoped it might be a sensible route back for me.

I asked them to increase the speed, but they were adamant on their ways. The body position they insist on is too unstable & rigid, especially on a speed that only just supports it. 

How can I work with the air speed when it's 30% lower than it should be unless "I" fly - stiff as a board. 

It's really hard to judge the situation without video...

As WT Instructor I can say that the "I am a skydiver!" category of WT firsttimers is often the most difficult to deal with))

It's quite often when they start demand to increase the speed while trying to push the air and lift up at the same time which makes them very unstable so:
  - you can't give them more speed coz
 - they can fly normal at setted speed and it's make them even more stiff and unstable

IMHO if there is enough time (more than just 1-2 minutes as firstimer) instructor should be able to deal with it ether slowing down\lay student on the net\relax them or get out and talk etc...
But again people are different so as the situation so without video it's really hard to make a conclusion))

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, NWPoul said:

It's really hard to judge the situation without video...

As WT Instructor I can say that the "I am a skydiver!" category of WT firsttimers is often the most difficult to deal with))

It's quite often when they start demand to increase the speed while trying to push the air and lift up at the same time which makes them very unstable so:
  - you can't give them more speed coz
 - they can fly normal at setted speed and it's make them even more stiff and unstable

IMHO if there is enough time (more than just 1-2 minutes as firstimer) instructor should be able to deal with it ether slowing down\lay student on the net\relax them or get out and talk etc...
But again people are different so as the situation so without video it's really hard to make a conclusion))

Yes, "without video" a real problem. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for!?!?

Thanks for helpful your comment.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, Paul Towmy said:

It's not possible to fly the box position as a beginner, as far as I can tell, because they insist on a set speed which is too low to support it. I managed to figure that out after my first flight. Having previously done 300+ real skydives, I was able to figure that out. After 10+ years out of the sport, I had hoped it might be a sensible route back for me.

I asked them to increase the speed, but they were adamant on their ways. The body position they insist on is too unstable & rigid, especially on a speed that only just supports it. 

I'm not a WT instructor but routinely fly/train and occasionally coach in UK windtunnels, in particular Basingstoke/Bedford and see a LOT of first timers go through their doors. Apart from the occasional 'kicker' or very awkward individual, the staff are very good at getting first time flyers flying unassisted in their two minutes of time. It is obviously not a position for AFF/FS, but it works and is easily adaptable from there.

300 jumps is all well and good, but 10 years out of the sport definitely forms some cobwebs, especially for a relatively low experience before your break - even a few months off I can feel rusty. Without seeing video, anything could have happened, but rather than building yourself back into flying it sounds like you 'remembered' how to fly but struggled, got stressed out and stopped relaxing with only the world to blame. Everyone is guilty of seeing the red mist when flying and it usually results in a good few minutes of unproductive flying before cooling off. When coaching I will absolutely not ask for the speed up if the student is looking stressed out or potentially unstable/unsafe. For reference if you turned up at a dropzone 10 years out of the sport, you would most certainly be doing some jumps with an instructor - would you be telling them how to fly?

Your comment that the wind tunnel is not recommended at all to experienced skydivers is pretty incorrect to be honest though. The tunnel is a fantastic, safe place to learn new skills and improve your flying. It is no replacement for the sky of course, but the tunnel does allow for skydivers to rapidly repeat skills, while being assisted/spotted by instructors. You don't need to look very hard to see children who have never skydived in their life completly at home in the wind tunnel without ever jumping out of a plane. Please tell me how this is 'not recommended'?

My recommendation to you if you are keen to get back into the sport would be to get hold of a coach, there are loads in the Midlands which I am guessing you are based. Buying time from a coach is almost always cheaper than buying direct through iFly, they are also skydivers which often WT instructors are not so are better at tailoring your flying around you and give you a proper debrief. I am happy to recommend several to you.

In terms of your videos, proflyers at iFly UK tunnels can view their videos in team rooms without having to pay for them for reference.