IkonOaklast

Aerodium W2/W3 in lower temps

Hello...recent Oregon tunnel addict and future beer buyer here.

I have a question about the experience of flying in an Aerodium W-style tunnel, in 50F degree (10C) or less temps.

Is the ambient air cooled significantly (or feel that way) when it's accelerated to 120+ mph?

I'm curious about this style of tunnel specifically because the fans are horizontally mounted, and so bends the wind 90 (more heat via friction?), vs a prop below blower...but I'll take anything you got! ;)

Thanks y'all!

If they w2/w3 mean the "open" (instad of recirculated) design than:

1. Yes 10°C @ 120 MPh will freeze F*** of you if you'l dress like for just a walk at the same temperature

2. No ambient air doesn't cooled it's get some heat even in such WT (but it fell like it cooled very much)

3. I worked in such WT up to minus 12°C - it's can be done with proper dressing:
most efficient - light ZP suit over some warm layer
I think kinda polartech /windstopper also will work
In extreme case we used neoprene pants/socks/gloves
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

B| Awesome feedback...thank you!

Neoprene layer?! :| Wow. This is gear for WORKING in a tunnel in sub-zero temps, correct? Jajaja...I can't imagine saying 'no' to a job working in a tunnel...but I don't think I could fly all day in sub-zero temps!

If I were to fly, say, fifteen minutes in three 5-minute blocks, in an open tunnel, where outside temp is 10C...a standard tunnel suit over clothes suited to that weather otherwise...would not be enough to keep me comfortable, in your experience?

Thank you again!

IkonOaklast

Neoprene layer?! :| Wow. This is gear for WORKING in a tunnel in sub-zero temps, correct? Jajaja...I can't imagine saying 'no' to a job working in a tunnel...but I don't think I could fly all day in sub-zero temps!

Yes) And WORKING in WT is mostly about staying and walking not flying:)

IkonOaklast

If I were to fly, say, fifteen minutes in three 5-minute blocks, in an open tunnel, where outside temp is 10C...a standard tunnel suit over clothes suited to that weather otherwise...would not be enough to keep me comfortable, in your experience?

For +10° I think you'll be OK with first(base) termo functional layer + mid layer of thin polartech/fleece layer (if it will be with windstopper it's even better) like those which cross country skiers are use
with your suit over

But most efficient will be go to the modern tunnel;)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

NWPOUL says "But most efficient will be go to the modern tunnel;) "

True True - and we will have one of those modern tunnels at iFLY Ft Lauderdale in Florida soon. Haven't flown in a state of the art "and I do mean art" tube but will within a couple or 3 months.

WooHoo is all I can say to that. :)

NWPoul

But most efficient will be go to the modern tunnel;)

I agree! But just because I can't afford a Cadillac, does not mean I won't roll a GMC. Even if it doesn't have heated seats. Or a windshield. :S

I appreciate y'alls feedback! B| It sounds like, while not the most comfortable ride, the open tunnel will more closely simulate FF while skydiving. I'm so excited!

Fortunately there is an iFly 14' tube juuuust across town. The only problem I'm really seeing is: how do I save up to jump out of a 'perfectly good' airplane (and you know...beer), if I'm spending all winter (and all my money) in the tunnel?!

I suspect I'm not the first to have these problems...:D

Cheers