danwayland

Reaching Forward Head Up

Anybody have any ideas of things to try that help you learn how to reach forward square in front of you when head up in a tunnel?

When I reach in front of me, I start dropping.

I'm consistently told chin back, and that makes sense. I'm sure that's the correct answer for getting the extra lift, but when I try that, I go forward. There must be more to it or at least a different way to think about it.

Many thanks,
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about.

but could you compensate with your legs by bringing your heels towards your butt slightly?

i assume you are going forward because the legs are too far out?

again please see my original statement :)

Thanks. I do think that applying backwards motion with the legs plus forwards motion with the shoulderblades would make a ton of sense.

I can move backwards in my sit just fine, but maybe I'm only using my torso for that.

Maybe I don't know how to push backwards with my legs.
--
Dan Wayland

Fly more using your back so lean back a bit but also use your shins/legs to counter the forward movement that this will generate.

Your back has a huge surface area so you can get a lot of lift from it.

Also maybe think about cranking the wind up a bit. Sounds like you might be flying on your arms as well as your legs to get lift.

As a drill try flying with your hands on your head and concentrate on using all other body parts for lift. :)

danwayland

Anybody have any ideas of things to try that help you learn how to reach forward square in front of you when head up in a tunnel?

When I reach in front of me, I start dropping.

I'm consistently told chin back, and that makes sense. I'm sure that's the correct answer for getting the extra lift, but when I try that, I go forward. There must be more to it or at least a different way to think about it.

Many thanks,

Could you clarify what exactly you want to reach in front of you and for what?
There is a many ways to work in front area in HUp
Including ultimate knee flying (abra-cadabra pos) where you able to work in front of you as well as in belly flying but with speeds from slowbelly to top of the WT airspeed ;)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I'm trying to figure out how to learn to have my hands free when head up like these people in the 2nd half of this video (the head up part)

I'm seeing a little docking in front (as opposed to turning sideways) while sit flying normal, head up daffy docks in front, and knee flying docks in front all in this video:
https://youtu.be/9neJYvGW16g

I'm flying ok head up. But I'd like to be able to reach in front of me to take a grip and then fly that position better than I can now.
--
Dan Wayland

danwayland

I'm trying to figure out how to learn to have my hands free when head up...
But I'd like to be able to reach in front of me to take a grip and then fly that position better than I can now.

Use the Force!
...Oh, I mean the Legs;)

danwayland

I like the idea of flying static with my hands on my head

Yep, it's good exercise, I also suggest for stability drills place you hand on your hip (for the beginning you may start with one hand per once)