Scarebus380

Sitfly is a big headache!!!

Hi all
Well I started my wind tunnel flying, belly good, back fly good, including transitions and full front flips belly to belly.
SITFLY, well......I just do not think I'm ever going to get it, I can't stop flying back into the wall and my left leg as a mind of its own, 1hr 20mins and it seems and endless headache for me and the poor coach!!!
Any good tips I would be so appreciative!

All the best

Yeah great tip!!!
If the DZ was not closed for 3 months I would be, but instead of sitting on my arse doing nothing, I thought I would be little constructive and try to make some progression in my progress!!

But thanks for your expert advice!!

Anyone with real advice for me?

From a relative newb w/6 hours in tunnel.

a while back some info source (e.g. IBA, ISS, dz.com etc.) had an article on muscle memory not necessarily being about muscles but brain wiring.

Link to an article (not the one I read specific to this) but it gives the idea http://lifehacker.com/5799234/how-muscle-memory-works-and-how-it-affects-your-success

Article was about the muscle memory which ain't really muscle memory but repeating attempts enough for the brain to wire new circuits (kind of like alzheimers in reverse)so that it can instantly feed the right info to arms and legs. The article helped me to better understand - why some skills seem to take forever to learn in the tunnel - e.g. when my brain has Zero existing wiring to work from it takes longer to learn a skill.

Prime example was my last overnight camp at iFLY Orlando. Went to work mainly on bak fly. Felt a bit bored and wild so let coach know I wanted to try bak2belly and belly2bak flips. Caught on to both by the 3rd try of each. Fastest I've learned any tunnel skill possibly due to old existing wiring from many years ago doing flips on the ground as a gymnast.

Have read sitfly can take around 5 hours to catch on to but am sure it varies upon the individual.

Lean back and fly with your back more. This will push you forwards and your back is such a big surface area you'll be able to get some lift too.

Always try to fly with your legs and your back which is less strain for you and leaves your arms hopefully for more independent movement.

Does take time to get the muscle memory though. Don't beast it too much as you learn very little when tired... if you can back fly then get onto some back carving which will help you when you do dynamic stuff in future.

Welcome to the crack house. B|

try some time with another coach. not saying that your actual coach is not good, but maybe someone else will find the way to make it work for you. Sometimes it is just the different coaching style that helps you out. (and maybe it won't work anyways, but worth trying)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Head up (especially in movement/grips) really not easy and beyond base skills can require more time thana Head down to master it - so don't be " :( " much ;)

It's hard to figure out and give advises without video...
Back sliding during sitfly - is common problem for skydivers, in tunnel much more often students have opposite problem - flying forward due to lack control in hips)

Yes you sliding backwards most probably because of natural instinct of laying (and feel) on the wind with your belly (and likely with your feet/legs going behind and under your but)

There is few quite effective tricks/exercise which should easily fix this and your coach should know them - so talk to him;)
What really worth to spend a time (always) - is a transitions... in your case - backfly 2 sitfly 2 backfley 2 sit... in a slow controllable manner (you want to feel the way not to switch between sit and back) There also is some tricks/points in this particular ex... so ask a coach

Good luck;)

Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Thanks for the great advice, I have 6hrs left of my package so I'm hoping it's enough. I will spend a hour doing the back to sitfly transitions so I can feel in control. At the moment I feel I have no idea what happening. Plus my arms are so far back my shoulders are burning after 5mins, but this seems to be only way I can maintain balance, I'm guessing that's because I'm leaning forward to much?

It's hard to say without video what exactly happens with you)
But yes it's quite often when student get of the balance exactly because he trying to get in balance very much...
That's why transition is so usefull - you shouldn't stuck in certain body position afraid to move and lost balance
Get rid of "Oh! I am going to fall to back so I should do something! so here my arms - push them bacwards to stop... oh no that's again ("
Set up your mind that there is no falling back - there is your transition from sit flying to back flying - than do this transition slowly and at some point you will understand, that you can fly in any middle point of it
Coach should show you some tricks (such doing this transition with your arms switched off, straiten forward, laying on your chest etc... may be using a net as support for some time and so on...) to help you understand and feel what happens and how to get control on parts of your body and on your body as whole thing))

And breath;)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Scarebus380

Hi all
Well I started my wind tunnel flying, belly good, back fly good, including transitions and full front flips belly to belly.
SITFLY, well......I just do not think I'm ever going to get it, I can't stop flying back into the wall and my left leg as a mind of its own, 1hr 20mins and it seems and endless headache for me and the poor coach!!!
Any good tips I would be so appreciative!

All the best

Wait until the millions of layouts you will be doing ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Hey guys

Thanks for all the advice, it worked. 3 days break from it and a refreshed muscles and I went straight into a stable neutral sitfly.
Fwd and back movement needs to be refined but it's 100% better on my previous tries. Relaxing into the sitfly and trusting the wind made all the difference.
Thanks again

adamUK

Yep. but layouts are super fun... I love cranking out a huge back layout and using as much of the tunnel as possible. :P

B| I didn't say they weren't fun. Getting them down..... for me anyway.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Trafficdiver

******Yep. but layouts are super fun... I love cranking out a huge back layout and using as much of the tunnel as possible. :P

B| I didn't say they weren't fun. Getting them down..... for me anyway.

Smashing into the wall is fun too...right?

Sooooo much fun..... B|

adamUK

I've got a mega groove right the way down the front of my G3 visor when I took a dive a bit too low and faceplanted the net... thank goodness for G3.. and elbow/knee pads :S

What kind of knee and elbow pads worked well for you. I'm in the market for them due to beginning to learn flips etc.

wan2doit

***I've got a mega groove right the way down the front of my G3 visor when I took a dive a bit too low and faceplanted the net... thank goodness for G3.. and elbow/knee pads :S

What kind of knee and elbow pads worked well for you. I'm in the market for them due to beginning to learn flips etc.

G-FORM
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?