cpoxon

iFly coming to St. Louis, MO

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/indoor-skydiving-center-proposed-near-chesterfield-mall/article_5836588d-5639-5f0a-9ad5-3c6ef526aedf.html

I-Fly, the Austin-based chain of indoor skydiving centers, has proposed building its first Missouri location near Chesterfield Mall.

I-Fly has submitted plans to Chesterfield city officials to open a 7,777-square foot facility at 595 Chesterfield Center on four acres of land owned by the mall's owner, Chattanooga, Tenn.-based CBL & Associates Properties. The Chesterfield Ciné theater on the site near the Dillard's department store was previously demolished.

At its more than 20 locations, large fans create a wind tunnel so customers float on air to simulate skydiving.

The new three-story structure would be 67 feet tall, according to plans submitted to the city by the project's architect, GMA Architects.

Chesterfield's planning commission approved I-Fly's project on May 23, and city officials are still reviewing the plans before construction can begin.

There is (was?) an Aerodium also in Chesterfield but the latest news on the website says closed for the season. Is it still in operation?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The Aerodium tunnel was there last season and as far as I know it is not there now. It's a travelling tunnel that is on the road in different locations all the time.

I am guessing this will be a 14 footer from the '3 story' description - similar to what was announced in Phoenix.
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource

Yea, this should be a 14' tunnel, same as the Woodlands and KC design. The Aerodium was an outdoor POS tunnel parked in the parking lot in the same area where iFLY is going in.

I'm currently instructing in OKC probably moving to the STL tunnel next year when it opens.

Bignugget

Yea, this should be a 14' tunnel, same as the Woodlands and KC design. The Aerodium was an outdoor POS tunnel parked in the parking lot in the same area where iFLY is going in.

I'm currently instructing in OKC probably moving to the STL tunnel next year when it opens.

If the 3 story description is true, this indicates it would be similar to what you see in naperville, rosemont, portland, ashburn etc - not the ground level design of the woodlands.

The Aerodium mobile tunnel is a mobile propeller below tunnel - totally different beast than a recirculator. I would never describe it as a 'POS'. Flying in it is just an entirely different experience.

I had the chance to fly that tunnel in downtown Chicago before they moved it to St Louis last year and literally had one of, if not my favorite tunnel sessions in it ever.
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource