wan2doit

iFLY Lauderdale Moving Ahead

Just visited the iFLY Ft Lauderdale construction site today (Apr 27, 2016).

OBTW there is a facebook page about it with a couple of pics from a while back showing the site being cleared of an old structure. Need to scroll down a ways to see the pics.

Today I saw a big drilling machine drilling approx 24 inch diameter holes 30 feet deep to soften the rocks, then a medium size crane was feeding 30 foot sheet piles to a sheet pile driver (man that thing was loud when banging the piles down).

A worker there told me they are drilling 600 holes to accept the piles. Bunch of work to be able to fly and this is just the start.

Maybe someone with a smart phone ( I don't have one) can get over there between Hiatus Rd and Flamingo Rd on SR 84 in Davie and get some photos periodically to follow the progress. The site is at the extreme West end of the shopping center where the 84 Diner and Grille is located.

Nice to see iFLY Ft Lauderdale popping out of the ground.

The 84 diner very close by (few hundred yards) has a very diverse economical menu + adult beverages (for after flying).

https://www.zomato.com/miami/84-diner-grille-davie/menu?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Local&utm_campaign=GoogleMenus#tabtop

Yeah I know :) it's way ahead of time but maybe this thread can become an info source for those intending to visit there.

Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=ifly%20ft%20lauderdale

This fb page is weird - I do believe yesterday I posted to one of the few places this fb page would allow doing so - then today it is gone.

For some reason there are strange posting controls there - any ideas what's going on - I don't know much about how facebook works.

Today is June 28, 2016 and shows much progress since April 2016 photos - many workers doing many things on this site - no grass growing under their feet.

Photo 2 of 4 isn't a swimming pool it is the concrete foundation still being watered.

Excuse image quality but I got dinky 2g phone challenges.

You asked :) More info here - http://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/11p.pdf

Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 208

Re: Keeping Concrete Wet During Curing
US Army Corps of Engineers says:

Beginning immediately after placement, and continuing for at least 7 days,
cure and protect all concrete from premature drying, extremes in
temperature, rapid temperature change, freezing, mechanical damage, and
exposure to rain or flowing water. Provide all materials and equipment
needed for adequate curing and protection at the site of the placement
prior to the start of concrete placement. Accomplish moisture preservation
of moisture for concrete surfaces not in contact with forms by one of the
following methods:
a. Continuous sprinkling or ponding.
b. Application of absorptive mats or fabrics kept continuously wet.
c. Application of sand kept continuously wet.
d. Application of impervious sheet material conforming to ASTM C 171.
e. Application of membrane-forming curing compound conforming to
ASTM C 309, Type 1-D, on surfaces permanently exposed to view.
Accomplish Type 2 on other surfaces in accordance with manufacturer's
instructions.
Accomplish the preservation of moisture for concrete surfaces placed
against wooden forms by keeping the forms continuously wet for 7 days . If
forms are removed prior to end of the required curing period, use other
curing methods for the balance of the curing period. Do not perform
protection removal if the temperature of the air in contact with the
cocrete may drop more than 60 degrees F within a 24 hour period.

Regarding photo 0080 in post 8 of 11 in this thread - I thought the concrete was up to the top in the photo - it was not - actually the 7 feet thick concrete was poured 20 feet down and the water put on top of it - as I was told by a manager on site when this more recent photo was taken on Aug 13, 2016 on my way to an iFLY Orlando overnight camp.

I just spent a month in Hallandale Beach (December) and made some jumps at Skydive Miami (run by Pam Manos) and Clewiston. If the Ft. Lauderdale tunnel is like the one they built in Yonkers, N.Y., it's going to be a dandy. I've now flown in about five tunnels, and by far the iFly in Westchester is the best.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Get ready folks - No need 4 photos - It's done and could open any day now. From what I've heard iFLY is waiting on the city to install a valve of some sort but after that the fans begin to "spin" for us.

Anyway there phone number is 1 954 280 4359

Waitin's all but over and South Fla will be flying hi soon in it's shiny new 14 footer.

Flew tonight Feb 12th for 1st time. Wow watch out as you go up 10-15 ft - wind speed doesn't stay the same or decrease like Orlando it accelerates as u gain altitude - above the glass it's steadily increasing from there on up. I set for the top speed I could handle on my belly down low near the mat then ascended what I thought wasn't that much on my belly kind of fast like we all like to do I was taken higher by surprise much higher before I knew it and had barely enough arch left to get down. Just something one who has only flew at Orlando has to adapt to.

One disappointment - Lauderdale tunnel is too quiet for my taste. - I loved the sound of iFLY Orlando from the outside and inside - you could just sense the power driving the wind. I will miss that Orlando soundscape but the flip side is such smooth airflow - smooth as glass.

Guess this thread is about over now.

wan2doit

Flew tonight Feb 12th for 1st time. Wow watch out as you go up 10-15 ft - wind speed doesn't stay the same or decrease like Orlando it accelerates as u gain altitude - above the glass it's steadily increasing from there on up. I set for the top speed I could handle on my belly down low near the mat then ascended what I thought wasn't that much on my belly kind of fast like we all like to do I was taken higher by surprise much higher before I knew it and had barely enough arch left to get down. Just something one who has only flew at Orlando has to adapt to.

One disappointment - Lauderdale tunnel is too quiet for my taste. - I loved the sound of iFLY Orlando from the outside and inside - you could just sense the power driving the wind. I will miss that Orlando soundscape but the flip side is such smooth airflow - smooth as glass.

Guess this thread is about over now.

Sounds great! Would you know of any coachs at this new location?
Thanks