GoHuskers

New 12 Foot Design

Like sh*t i suppose. The angle of the glass would be so steep as to cause turbulence at the wall and a really bad velocity profile as you moved away from the centreline. The largest angle should be about 6 degrees so. Any more than that and you'll have a turbulent, lossy design.

If it feels anything like the iFly Hollywood design, then I would guess that it flies nicely up to a few feet above the door, then is just okay for the rest of the way up. Flyable, but noticeably less smooth.

The disadvantage of the air getting slower towards the top actually turns out to be kind of fun in certain situations, because you can really drill downward to the net and have a TON of stopping power. At Hollywood I would regularly do complete pencil (standing) drops from the very top and just flare a bit onto my belly a few feet off the net. Instant stop. So kind of fun for solo goofing off :)

danielcroft

Looks like it was designed for first timers, no? So, those behaviors would be acceptable if not desirable for them?

Yeah it is the perfect first time flyer machine. I went to the tunnel a few months ago and I can't say that I plan on going back.

Bummer, its only a few miles from my workplace.

It has some definite first timer advantages. By diffusing in the glass they have less potential to pop up.

As far as flying, it is definitely different than the straight glass designs. But from what I have seen, the guys who are learning in the diffused 12 are shredding.

You will find yourself way more flexible and with better balance if you learn in the 12 I think.

Fair question...

The 12 foot design is faster at your feet than it is at your shoulders, by a considerable amount, 2-3%.

So IME it feels like the tunnel wants to sweep you off your feet, so to fly as well as you would in a straight glass, you have to be stronger with your feet, and get way more lift with your back and shoulders.

so balance for me is the ability to fly without getting swept off your feet (or head)..

and flexibility is the ability to get your different body parts in the direction they need to go.

I think that is how I would explain it...

https://www.facebook.com/ATMOSAerosports/?pnref=story

If you scroll down to Sept 28th they have a post from some guys who fly really clean in a 14 footer, trying out the 12 footer. Gives you a little idea of the difference.

OK reverse scenario - I've only flown at iFLY Orlando (7 hours in the last 2 1/2 years)

What adjustments should I be looking forward to learning/making when flying iFLY Ft Lauderdale's 14 ft recirculated air-flow.

My 1st guess is the percentage of power I fly at in Orlando (74-80%) will need to be dropped quite a bit.

What next?