lazerq3

RC/Pullouts

I have a question. On our student gear the ripcord handle has a piece of velcro wrapped it on one end and then there is a piece sewn on the rig. So when the RC is in place it velcros to the rig. Nothing tight but enough to keep it from moving around during free fall. So would it be possible to maybe sew a piece of velcro to the hackey and a piece to your rig as a little added protection to keep it still and in place to prevent premature deployments?
jason

Pilot chute retention idea>
Here is an old idea that I came up with a number of years ago, that you may want to check out. It may indeed be a place where Velcro can be used very successfully over the long haul. I have used it on hundreds of jumps with very good success.-------->
Install a piece of 2" X 2" Velcro PILE on the INSIDE of the BOC pouch, on the bottom container flap, so that it's edge is flush with the top of the PC pouch/opening.
As close as possible to the PC's apex, on the PC canopy material itself; sew on a piece of 1" X 2" Velcro HOOKS. I use a piece of parapack .250" wider than the Velcro in both directions, as a back up buffer/sewing platform. I sew the velcro hooks first to the slightly larger parapack, and then sew the parapack to the PC fabric close to the apex.
Some will say that the PC hooks will pick up grass, etc. I say, BS (the apex is pulled in)
I've never had a problem with this. (and this was with non collapsible PC's)
Dave Brownell

>So would it be possible to maybe sew a piece of velcro to the hackey and a piece to your
>rig as a little added protection to keep it still and in place to prevent premature deployments?
that's what strong tandem rigs do to help keep the drouge in its pocket. i don't know how well it works - i unmate the velcro before i exit. i would rather have a premature drouge deployment than a hard drouge extraction, at least on a tandem.
-bill von

Dave has a good idea there.
My personal preference would be similar to the latest Wings, Javelin and Voodoo rigs where the sideflap wraps around to hide the bridle. I would sew a 3-ring release handle to the top of the pilotchute and secure it to the underside of the side flap with Velcro.
Strong recently changed the BOC handle configuration on their tandem rigs.
Now they have a stiff "beaver tail" on the handle that tucks into an elastic pocket just inside the BOC pouch. We will see how well it holds up in the long run.

I am very leery about adding mass to the apex of a hand/apex deployed pilot chute, as I suspect this mass could increase the chance of a PC malfunction. Yes, I know the jury is still out on this theory.
When it comes to pilot chutes, I consider even the smallest increase in malfunction rate to be totality unacceptable.
Dave Brownell