Gators1240

Overcoming a slow tunnel

So I am starting to get back into the swing of things and working on my sitflying some. Before I stopped (about 3 years ago) I was to the point where I was stable off the net and working on carving, side slides, etc... Needless to say I was a little rusty getting back into it (started back about a month ago) and am now flying at a slower tunnel than I was before (Im in orlando now). The mechanics are slowly coming back to me (a little over an hour of tunnel time since I started back up) but I cant seem to stay off the net in a sit unless im moving forward or carving (which is really more of a modified back/sit carving).

The instructors I have worked with have said they think its due to speed of the tunnel and some minor tweaks I need to make in body position (remembering to keep my head back, and occasionally having to remember to keep my hips down).

Those problems will be worked out with more time, and I think I will be able to overcome the speed issue with my sit, but will this be more of an issue when I eventually more to HD? I think its going to be a while before I progress that far anyways, but I tend to look ahead at things. Due to time/money I am currently only doing the tunnel and havent made the transition to actually jumping again (still need gear, recert jump, etc...) so I would like to be able to progress as far as I can in the tunnel.

Does anyone know of a good tunnel coach in the orlando area that may be able to help with this? I havent found a freefly tunnel coach in orlando yet and I think it would be a lot more beneficial to work with a coach regularly than to keep jumping from ifly coach to ifly coach since not all of them know where I am at in my progression.

If you can barely fly in a sit at max speed - that it's defenetly will be an issue in HD, so I am afraid that in a short term you'll be able only do pre exercises for HD on the net (feeling your leg, torso, relaxing, being stable on the net w/o supporting with hand, turn on the net etc) which can be veryusefull nevertheless

You'll be able to start learning some vertical transitions also

Well in the long term you'll be able to do HD using carving and other dynamic technique, but in more powerfull WT it will be defenetly faster progression

Regarding carving an moving in sit - actually it's require less speed than static hoovering (espetially carving) so you'll get it;)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I wore 2 suits at Airkix Milton Keynes which is pretty low power. It managed to get me off the net head down. Once you get onto shelf (also called hook or stall), you'll probably be able to fly that at slow speeds too. I can fly in shelf at my lowest sit fly speeds now but it does take practice :)

I wouldn't stress over coaches, they are extremely good at determining your skill level.

Learning to fly in slow speed wind takes a lot of skill. It's a very good skill to possess. Stick with it.

-E
If this is your first night, you have to fight.

In Orlando Benji (Benjamin), Curtiss and Chris have helped me greatly. Of course it has been said that Orlando has many great coaches there.

One way to find out more is to go to the IBA link Which details the training levels they have achieved.

http://tunnelflight.com/pages/instructors/index.php?n=250&sortBy=&employer=1

Folks say Orlando isn't the fastest tunnel but when they shifted it from 72 up to 77 % on me one night I sure as hell noticed it and had to arch like hell to keep from going waayyy up.

Apparently it was a subtle test to see if I could handle it. Coaches are teaching u and u don't even know it. Hey, It's all GOOD at iFLY Orlando in my book.

orlando was my home tunnel for a bit when I first started flying. It wasn't until I moved some place else that I realized exactly how tough that tunnel is to fly in. Tough, but totally doable if you learn to fly a little bigger and fly your body well. I've seen people tear it up in there still.

I ditched my tight suit and opted for one of their baggy suits. Wear some under armor or layers under it if you're flying a lot in a little amount of time though!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

wan2doit

In Orlando Benji (Benjamin), Curtiss and Chris have helped me greatly. Of course it has been said that Orlando has many great coaches there.

One way to find out more is to go to the IBA link Which details the training levels they have achieved.

Folks say Orlando isn't the fastest tunnel but when they shifted it from 72 up to 77 % on me one night I sure as hell noticed it and had to arch like hell to keep from going waayyy up.

Apparently it was a subtle test to see if I could handle it. Coaches are teaching u and u don't even know it. Hey, It's all GOOD at iFLY Orlando in my book.

Yeah I have worked with a few of them. I think Curtis is leaving though. I am looking for a coach that doesnt work at the tunnel though. Not that those guys arent great (they are) but I want to work with one specific coach instead of whoever happens to be running the session I am in.

As far as speed, belly wise yes its more than sufficient, but I am flying at 100% right now working on my sit and its super hard to get enough lift to get off the net unless im carving. I am going to try doubling up suits next time I go. I am also thinking of buying a tunnel suit from ouragan with double layers etc...

Gators1240

***In Orlando Benji (Benjamin), Curtiss and Chris have helped me greatly. Of course it has been said that Orlando has many great coaches there.

Yeah I have worked with a few of them. I think Curtis is leaving though. I am looking for a coach that doesnt work at the tunnel though. Not that those guys arent great (they are) but I want to work with one specific coach instead of whoever happens to be running the session I am in.

As far as speed, belly wise yes its more than sufficient, but I am flying at 100% right now working on my sit and its super hard to get enough lift to get off the net unless im carving. I am going to try doubling up suits next time I go. I am also thinking of buying a tunnel suit from ouragan with double layers etc...

I wouldn't waste your money on the tunnel suit. Try flying one of Orlando's bigger suits and try to fly big to get lift. Eventually you'll get off the net and get comfortable enough that you'll get by flying a bit smaller and learn to fly your body in a slower tunnel. You'll probably get comfy in your regular suit at that point too and you'll wish you didn't waste the money on that tunnel suit. Learn to fly your body, not the suit. You'll be a better flyer for it in the long run. I look back on my time in Orlando and I definitely think the challenges there made me a better flyer once I got to a better tunnel.

I think it's hard for anybody to admit that kind of stuff ;) But, gotta ask those questions or else how do we all learn?

Flying big is basically presenting more surface area to the wind to get lift. In orlando I got really good at flying with my legs wider and knees and ankles tipped in a bit; presenting more of the inner calf/thigh to the wind.

I wish I had a better set of pictures to describe what I'm talking about, but I just dug a few up from Orlando vs. a few from the last year or two in other tunnels. Maybe somebody else can help out if they have pics of video handy of what I'm talking about.

First two pics in Orlando-- legs out a little wider and knees/ankles slightly tipped in. More neutral sitfly in the last 2 pics from faster tunnels. I don't have hundreds of tunnel hours and don't coach, but these are things I've picked up after starting in Orlando, so take it for what it's worth ;)

You can always contact those instructors specifically and get their rate in the tunnel and pay them directly for coaching. That way you can work with someone who knows exactly how to fix the problems in the tunnel, but are also skydivers.

You can get their contact info by just calling the front desk and asking for their emails, or on FB. Our instructors are MORE than happy to help coach :) & you get their rate which is more often times cheaper than directly paying the tunnel the time & coaching.

Even if it's the same price- you're guaranteeing a coach.

& yeah, Curtis left already to go up to Chicago :(

Benji, Chris A., Brad, Matt Cumming, Danny and Mike Carney are some of the best.

Hit up Lane Paquin, he's a badass skydiver, tunnel instructor, and coach. He's on FB under Lane Vaughn or PM me for his number and email.

Learning in Orlando has it's challenges - I learned there and worked there for almost 2 years. It depends on what you want to learn - if you're looking to fly any type of dynamic, you're going to pay money to go to a fast tunnel, only to have then turn the wind down on you anyway. Learning to fly things in slow wind has big benefits down the line - especially if you focus on flying dynamic and transitions! (can't stress transitions enough).

Ultimately, it comes down to:

Do you want to be a good flyer or are you using tunnel to become a better skydiver?
Dream my life, live my dream

Well a little of both :). Right now I can't jump so I am limited to tunnel only. My ultimate goal is to be able to fly in any orientation, in any tunnel (it will take a LONG time to get there I am sure) naturally. I.e. Flying without thought as to what I'm doing physically and just where and what orientation I want to be in.

And of course, translating that all to the sky once I am able to jump again.

Good idea to try to stick with the same coach. I like to stick with a couple different coaches as its nice to get different perspectives and teaching styles. As far as slow speed sit, there are a lot of techniques, but to be honest… try a faster tunnel. I am a big dude (215 lbs). and I couldn't sit fly at Perris when it first opened… It took a huge amount of effort. When I started learning head down I started in Eloy then went back home to LA and kept flying at iflyhollywood. I felt like I had gone backward.. couldn't fly for $%*)@#. Took a trip to Utah and progression went crazy fast. It is true that's its the flyer not the tunnel, but it does make a difference when your learning in regard to the smoothness of the air and the speed of the tunnel, especially if your a big dude. I can fly on my head and sit at slower speeds in a lot of tunnels, but I definitely progressed faster when I started flying in faster, smoother air.

As far as sit flying goes… the core of your body, back shoulders, everything… gives you a huge amount of power and is so important. It all starts with the core, then moves out from there.

Gators1240

So I am starting to get back into the swing of things and working on my sitflying some. Before I stopped (about 3 years ago) I was to the point where I was stable off the net and working on carving, side slides, etc... Needless to say I was a little rusty getting back into it (started back about a month ago) and am now flying at a slower tunnel than I was before (Im in orlando now). The mechanics are slowly coming back to me (a little over an hour of tunnel time since I started back up) but I cant seem to stay off the net in a sit unless im moving forward or carving (which is really more of a modified back/sit carving).

The instructors I have worked with have said they think its due to speed of the tunnel and some minor tweaks I need to make in body position (remembering to keep my head back, and occasionally having to remember to keep my hips down).

Those problems will be worked out with more time, and I think I will be able to overcome the speed issue with my sit, but will this be more of an issue when I eventually more to HD? I think its going to be a while before I progress that far anyways, but I tend to look ahead at things. Due to time/money I am currently only doing the tunnel and havent made the transition to actually jumping again (still need gear, recert jump, etc...) so I would like to be able to progress as far as I can in the tunnel.

Does anyone know of a good tunnel coach in the orlando area that may be able to help with this? I havent found a freefly tunnel coach in orlando yet and I think it would be a lot more beneficial to work with a coach regularly than to keep jumping from ifly coach to ifly coach since not all of them know where I am at in my progression.