kram88

First time in the wind tunnel

Hey guys, I did a lil tunnel time yesterday. I was getting pretty frustrated though and I wasn't picking up on it like I thought I would. My butt is sticking out and I'm not properly arching and also felt like I spent most of the time getting grabbed or on the net.. didn't feel like I accomplished much. Also I guess I'm not doing my turns properly either? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiwqTuuDsg

I'll bite... at first, you are super-tense and trying to hold your torso up while reaching down with your arms, that won't work. ;)

Your hips should be your balance point, thrust them forward and squeeze your buttocks if you have to in order to keep you from pulling your knees in, which you did several times (nice knee flying though). Visualize a glory-hole if you must :P but keep those hips forward. :D

Chin-up, don't look down or grab the net (it's not going anywhere), push hips forward, resist temptation to drop knees (it causes instability), and remember the more you extend your arms the more you need to extend your legs to off-set the drive... legs out goes forward, arms out goes back, a little of both and you're hovering.

Once you master sitting still then worry about turns IMO but on a positive note they looked pretty good. Relax those arms... your arch provides the stability. :)
A good start. Take your time or you'll end up like me, eating advil like M&Ms: http://youtu.be/qlt2XvCdIHE :D

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

kram88

Yes was crazy how fast 10 minutes went by... but then again skydives go by relatively fast too... damn sport is robbing me of all my moneys >:[ I do my level 4 tomorrow or the next day so we will see how that one goes...

Once you learn to slow things down a bit you may find 2 minutes seems like a VERY long time in the tunnel. When you're nervous, time perception is compressed. Nerves may just be in relation to you being tense, not afraid.

One thing I liked about the tunnel was simply realizing that once you're relaxed you have a truly surprising amount of control... the first time I hovered dead center without moving was... amazing.

I have to agree with everyone else... my first tunnel my face was tense and the first thing the guy did was point me at the camera guy and said "SMILE!" (couldn't hear him, but its an easy gesture). I smiled for the camera, he took a pic... and then I realized he was not holding on to me and I was arched well and hovering. He said I looked like I was overthinking it instead of letting my body naturally conform to the air.

You'll get it, and once you're comfortable in the tunnel you'll be steady in the sky.

Expensive? Good lord yes. My wallet cries a little every time I even think of going for tunnel time.
You are not the contents of your wallet.