corpkid

Backfly in the tunnel

In my second session of backflying in the tunnel and it's going pretty well. I can enter and exit without any problems, and am fairly stable on my back. The only problem is I can't seem to get my arms in the 45 degree angle near my head. Every time I do that and really "press" the forearms on the wind I go rocketing up (which in turn freaks me out). I'd prefer to stay about 3-4 feet off the net until I'm more confident. Is there some way to get the proper form and not go rocketing upwards so quickly? Right now my arms are almost pointing up and out a little and that keeps me where I want to be but coach is saying this is a no-no. Either way, it's a lot of fun and it's true, it's like learning to fly all over again (after getting really good on my belly).

the position you need to hold in order to hover off the net is going to vary based on the wind speed

forearms have little drag relative to the rest of your body so if you are "rocketing" up you are probably rolling your shoulders back and flattening out your back which grabs quite a bit of air... if you are extending your legs at the same time (even by accident when trying to balance out your arm input)... there's even more drag... and up your go. ;)

the exact angle of the arms is less important than just being able to hold a heading and maintain your position when you're first starting on your back IMO... just sitting there in a neutral doing nothing on your back alone takes time.

the best way to fix problems in the tunnel is to pay for coaching and then fly a lot to build the muscle memory and "feel"

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Thanks. I think the arching of my back blades is exactly what is doing it (that "reverse lat press" really does pinch them. I'm at the point now where if I don't put my arms back I can hang out in one spot for a minute or so before I start to turn or slide, which everyone is telling me is really good for only my 2nd time doing it. Of course as soon as I start moving or turning I panic and go back into my little ball on the net to stop it. :) Which is why being very high up is not really a great thing because I've already had one 10 foot fall onto my back and the subsequent super bounce. Not fun.

Legs are fine from looking at the videos. It's the tits to Jesus thing that I think is causing my rapid rise. Oh, and they typically set it to about 135 mph when I'm on my back (it's one of those older tunnels where the air is sucked up from outside (Orlando Tunnel). I was doing about 120 on my belly and that felt really comfortable. Thanks again and back at it for another 15 next week!!!

Just another thing to consider is how baggy your suit is... I find baggy suits make back-flying a chore and imprecise.

I don't know what Orlando has on the rack but if you're using their suits try something a little more form-fitting even if the legs and arms are a bit short or you look goofy.

That's not gospel or anything of course. That's just my own preference based on banging off the walls of a half-dozen or so tunnels. YMMV. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

That's an excellent idea. I'm wearing a huge suit now (I think they thought I wouldn't be able to get down on my back and then up again easily, which after a few tries was actually pretty easy). I'll try and squeeze into something more "form fitting" and see how that goes next week. Thanks for all your help!

Sounds familiar. The Denver tunnel coach emphasized the hands at 45 too and I was having trouble. It was my first time on back. I went to the Seattle tunnel and the coach told me not to worry about getting the hands arms "correct" and relax and fly back and legs.

That worked. I did some of the shooting up too and it is a bit freaky at first and then I would get into a spin and drop back to the net. I kept countering the spin with opposite leg turn but my problem was my hips were not neutral. Once we got the pelvis fixed, I was doing okay.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama