DrDom

Progression ideas?

OK guys, so my diving season is over for now (its cold up here) and am wondering where I should progress in tunnel training.

Right now I have excellent arch, "fall rate" control, turns (including stable leg turns), swoop/dock, side slides, etc. I do not know Mantis flight.

Anyhow, where should one go from here? I have learned to Barrel Roll but was not stable on my back. I like little challenges so wanted to try out Mantis style, but should I consider some back fly or sit fly? I still want time to maintain my belly skills but also want to spend some time trying something outside the box (pun intended)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

mantis, 2 ways, burble hopping, spinning pieces, advanced entrances, walking on the net, walls, etc

find a friend and do some RW...

freefly if you want, it makes funneled RW exits more fun when you can comfortably fly in any orientation ;)

after only 1 hour you have a ton left to learn and refine

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

mantis, 2 ways, burble hopping, spinning pieces, advanced entrances, walking on the net, walls, etc

find a friend and do some RW...

freefly if you want, it makes funneled RW exits more fun when you can comfortably fly in any orientation ;)

after only 1 hour you have a ton left to learn and refine

I wont pretend I'm refined or at the end of my learning; I just like to change it up once in a while. Like a gym routine... if you do the same thing every time it gets boring; throw in something new and BOOM... its like starting over.

I'll toss those ideas out. I dont know what burble hopping is but I bet the guys there will...

Assuming that you, indeed, have only seven jumps those skills which you describe as "excellent" probably need a lot of work. Hell, my stuff needs lots of work too.

Assuming you won't travel south/west to jump during the winter season, use the intervening months to sharpen the skills that will serve you well when your training in the sky resumes as well as during your future, licensed skydiving career.

Any halfway competent tunnel coach can structure a program that takes you from where you are to where you want to be.

For someone far more than "halfway comptetent" contact Ben Liston (I think he sometimes posts on this site). He can help you out or point you in the right direction to someone who can. He is an exceptional coach (and belly flier, for that matter). Call SVNH and ask which coaches book block time during the evenings and ask for some contact info. Hell, SNE is open until the middle of November. Call manifest and ask for recommendations.

If all else fails contact Ari Perelman and ask for recommendations up in that neck of the woods.

When you pay for a coach you're getting something more than someone standing in the door while you fly and getting a debrief. Thousands of tunnel hours, thousands of jumps...scads of medals. A much better use of time and money than developing a progression plan which, most times, simply just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

hillson

Assuming that you, indeed, have only seven jumps those skills which you describe as "excellent" probably need a lot of work. Hell, my stuff needs lots of work too.

Assuming you won't travel south/west to jump during the winter season, use the intervening months to sharpen the skills that will serve you well when your training in the sky resumes as well as during your future, licensed skydiving career.

Any halfway competent tunnel coach can structure a program that takes you from where you are to where you want to be.

For someone far more than "halfway comptetent" contact Ben Liston (I think he sometimes posts on this site). He can help you out or point you in the right direction to someone who can. He is an exceptional coach (and belly flier, for that matter). Call SVNH and ask which coaches book block time during the evenings and ask for some contact info. Hell, SNE is open until the middle of November. Call manifest and ask for recommendations.

If all else fails contact Ari Perelman and ask for recommendations up in that neck of the woods.

When you pay for a coach you're getting something more than someone standing in the door while you fly and getting a debrief. Thousands of tunnel hours, thousands of jumps...scads of medals. A much better use of time and money than developing a progression plan which, most times, simply just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Awesome advice and I'll take it. I'm a little surprised the place doesnt do more of their own progression programme...

Trafficdiver

There's going to be a tunnel competition coming up in January ( I think) at SVNH. Go to it and watch, you'll learn a ton, and get to see and meet some of the best tunnels fliers around, some of whom will be willing to coach you.

that sounds wicked fun :)
Not too worried about learning the advanced stuff, just the things that work well in the sky for my AFF and early diving life

I spent hours honing my belly flights in the tunnel. Like 4 or 5 and have used various coaches (including Ari) and they helped me so much. I really understand how it all "comes together now." I would say to keep it interesting every now and again try walking around the tunnel to get used to that (it will help you SO MUCH when you start to progress to back/sit/daffy flying) and try some different entrances. Also, playing "tag" in there with your coach is pretty fun and will FORCE you to develop all those secondary skills that you don't even realize you need. Once I seemed to get pretty solid on my belly (I'd say competent - by no means an expert) I am now learning to back fly. It's like starting all over again so you do want to get REALLY good on your belly! No shortcuts. :)