DrDom

Learning to backflip in a tunnel?

Hey guys,
My AFF dives have been going well but I'm concerned about disorientation and ability to backflip. Its just not something I've ever done. I'm decent in a tunnel (stable, can move around without any difficulty, hand/arm/leg turns, etc) but am wondering if the increase in fall rate from a backflip is something a wind tunnel can tolerate? Or will I just come crashing down onto the "mat"?

Wondering similarly about barrel rolls... I'd love to see how it feels to correct to belly down faster than hard arching, and its not something I want to practice during Level 5-7 since time is limited and a lot needs to be done to pass

OK, thanks guys :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

If you learn how to fly your body you don't need to crash onto the net. There's some really good stuff on the IBA youtube channel

How to videos

Belly to back backflip

Barrel rolls

Try a layout... which involves you pivoting around your head. They're pretty cool but it is was a backflip type one you'd have to do a back layout (i.e. start back flying). A front layout you'd be starting on your belly.

Have fun!!!! ;)

The point of flips in AFF is to lose and then regain stability. That's it basically. You don't need to do perfectly controlled on-heading flips and rolls at the AFF level. All you are doing is demonstrating that you can control yourself enough to get stable so you can deploy your main in the optimal body position so as to minimize the chance of a malfunction.

Back flips are more of an "advanced" skill in the tunnel and will take quite a bit of time to master. Barrel rolls are much simpler but you need to be stable on your back and be able to hold a heading before you start working on those.

You have to work up to doing transitions in the tunnel... but in the sky there's no glass to slam in to so the progression is different between AFF and tunnel. The trick in the tunnel is developing the control so that you don't crater into the net. That degree of precision is not required at your stage in AFF so don't worry about it...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

The point of flips in AFF is to lose and then regain stability. That's it basically. You don't need to do perfectly controlled on-heading flips and rolls at the AFF level. All you are doing is demonstrating that you can control yourself enough to get stable so you can deploy your main in the optimal body position so as to minimize the chance of a malfunction.

Back flips are more of an "advanced" skill in the tunnel and will take quite a bit of time to master. Barrel rolls are much simpler but you need to be stable on your back and be able to hold a heading before you start working on those.

You have to work up to doing transitions in the tunnel... but in the sky there's no glass to slam in to so the progression is different between AFF and tunnel. The trick in the tunnel is developing the control so that you don't crater into the net. That degree of precision is not required at your stage in AFF so don't worry about it...

Wow! That's great info! I'll just go and play around with turns and improved stability then. I was hoping to do a run through of level 5-7 since weather sucks. Maybe I'll just have them get me unstable a bit and see if I can correct it... De arch and recover or something...

Well... While I have you... Anything I should ask them for (would ask my instructors but I will be at tunnel before dz)

Also... To the other poster, I'll check those out!

I see you survived your Cat A?? :)
Congrats...

If your going to practice this kind of stuff in the wind tunnel make sure you let the attendant know! And make sure that they are actually beside you to spot you in case you really hit the net with some speed! Hitting your head on the mesh is an all too common problem and it really hurts. I have frequently seen many adventurous individuals suddenly wip out a front or back flip and the attendant is totally caught off guard and can not possibly make it from the doorway to you in time to put you into a safe crash position! (If need be...)

C

:)
Awsome progress dude!

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Oh no I don't do anything in the tunnel without talking to my trainer there. I do a walk through of what I need and talk to them. I was glad who we started leg turns and slides to have him stop me from [mostly] crashing into the plexi

I'm just trying to use the tunnel to get a feel for stuff before I have more to worry about (what landing pattern? What's today's pull altitude? Etc)

Yes! Survived level 1-4 doing 5-7 this week.

well, actually backflip from belly is one of the most difficult tricks with big chances to hit the wall.

do a barrel roll instead, ask your TI how.

every TI has his own drills for stability training. They are way better and way safe than backflip - ask them, they know.
I personally ask student to catch me, try to hit me and push me out of stability. It is fun and works great - they think less and feel more.

BigBUG

well, actually backflip from belly is one of the most difficult tricks with big chances to hit the wall.

do a barrel roll instead, ask your TI how.

every TI has his own drills for stability training. They are way better and way safe than backflip - ask them, they know.
I personally ask student to catch me, try to hit me and push me out of stability. It is fun and works great - they think less and feel more.

Awesome! Got me doing some barrel rolls which was a huge help

I can NOT back fly however so I'd just lay on the mat and do it but it made me get the concept of how to do it if I find myself inverted in the sky

when I'm on my belly I'm not bad but boy, you guys who freefly (in or out of the tunnel) really do know your stuff...

adamUK

If you learn how to fly your body you don't need to crash onto the net. There's some really good stuff on the IBA youtube channel

How to videos

Belly to back backflip

Barrel rolls

Try a layout... which involves you pivoting around your head. They're pretty cool but it is was a backflip type one you'd have to do a back layout (i.e. start back flying). A front layout you'd be starting on your belly.

Have fun!!!! ;)

-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"