grayman

Never done tunnel, passing through LA

Hi All,

I am going to be passing through LA for at the beginning of 2014 and want to take the opportunity to get some tunnel time and coaching (no tunnels here in New Zealand).

I'm still new to skydiving and will probably have somewhere between 30-40 jumps at the time of the trip.

I'd like to get 30-60 minutes and will only have 1 day to do it in so want to get the most out of it. Is that being a little optimistic or is an hour of tunnel in 1 day quite doable.

And any recommended coaches? I'd be looking at working on good belly control and perhaps some tips on beginning to free fly (depending on what they think).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you were belly flying then 60 minutes spread over 1 day is very do-able. I would do no more than 10 minutes per slot and spread it out over 6 sessions. I'd try to leave about an hour between the end of the last slot and the next one (e.g. if you went in at 1pm, you'd be out at 1:30 so then next one you should aim to go back in at 2:30pm. This will give you chance to debrief and recover.

Each 10 minute slot I'd go for 2 minute rotations (i.e. you're in there 5 times). If you can leave the maximum amount of time between rotations (ideally 4 minutes) to allow you to reflect on your session and perhaps get a drink (I don't know if other tunnels allow water bottles in but Airkix in the UK do :)
Other than that enjoy! If you can get a coach then all the better but I have no recommendations for coaches in the US.

Oh.. by the way.. Once you've done the tunnel it'll forever dominate your thinking (to paraphrase someone in the Star Wars Trilogy).. welcome to the Dark Side :P:D

I really enjoed my time in iFly Hollywood when I was participating in iFly competition. This is not a biggest and most powerful tunnel around, but the team is really aswesome, they have great attitude and you surely would not regret it.

About coaches - you could contact these guys:
https://www.facebook.com/atlas.freefly?fref=ts

I do not know if Brent and Starkey still organise coaching in LA, but I am sure they could help to find a good one or give a good advice. They are top flyers.

Tell them Boris the Russian sent ya :)

It's free valet for like two or 2.5 hours, so if you are there the whole day just park in the general parking for $15. But I'll second what others are saying, iFly Hollywood has a great group of staff and Steven is the most effective coach I have ever flown with. Call them up ahead of time and let them know what you want to do. 30 minutes in a day should be totally doable, though an hour might be stretching it depending on your physical fitness.