jimmurt

Tunnel instructor level 1 course

Has anyone done one of these? There are 2 coming up in Sept and I'm thinking about applying.

Just want to know is it worth the money as they are not cheap. Also you have to take a month off work.

How much can you progress your own skills and is the qualification worth anything on its own (i.e. do you need to follow up to get the level 2)?

You're way better off getting a job at a wind tunnel and having them pay for the training if you are looking to go that route. If you want to teach in the wind tunnel without working for one directly you can get a coach rating which can be done in one evening and doesn't cost $10,000.

The skills you will work on over the course of getting an instructor rating will be focused around keeping flyers safe and preventing them from injuring themselves, especially first-timers. Are you interesting in working for a tunnel or do you want to progress your own flying ability? If it's the latter you should spend that money on 1 on 1 coaching.

edit: This information applies to IBA/Skyventure tunnels
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

IBA course prices are just hilarious...

And, to topic starter - do not think that they teach you how to fly and how to coach flyers. All you will get - is to be able to keep firstimers safe.

So, if you are not 100% sure that some tunnel hold place for you, this will be look like pile of money thrown literally to the wind. And if they do want you as an instructor - maybe they would like to help you with the training, give you credit, tunnel time, etc?

I working in a tunnel for an year already and I am not the weakest flyer there :) but I am still not covered my expences for my own training.