malooper

Wind Tunnel before AFF FJC?

Hi all,

I was planning to do my AFF FJC this Sunday but it was cancelled until the 25th. Super bummed but I'm really interested in the wind tunnels and would love to get in the swing of things. I actually live much closer to the wind tunnel than the DZ so I was wondering if I should go to the wind tunnel this weekend. But, am I putting the horse before the cart? Should I just hang tight until after that first course? Would love some input!

M
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

Tunnel before FJC is a fine idea.

1. Tell your tunnel coach that you intend to do the AFF FJC later this month. He or she may tweak your training a bit to support AFF.

2. Understand that you may be taught a slightly different way to fly in your FJC. If you won't be able to STFU and do it the way your FJC instructor wants...don't do tunnel first.

3. Understand that while the tunnel is a VERY useful tool.... Free fall is only a part (and not even the most important) of your jump. Death or serious injury in free fall, above deployment altitude is rare. Death or serious injury under a good canopy is all too common.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I'd also recommend that you talk to the DZ first. Some schools work in conjunction with their local tunnel. At my old DZ a 6 minute flight was part of the FJC. That would also include special student prices which were only available through the DZO.

The FJC instructor may also have some concerns about you going down there first. Worth mentioning at least.

Good luck and have fun.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I did a tandem jump, then the FJC. I really wanted to work more on my free fall understanding after that first jump, and my AFF instructor supported me in doing some tunnel time. I worked with a coach who is also an AFFI, and let him know that I wanted to work on the skills I would need to progress through my course. I came home, did my Category B jump, and found that the tunnel work really did translate to the sky. However (and I'm a total noob to all of this!!) I personally don't think I would have gotten as much out of either the tunnel or the sky work if I hadn't had that FJC prior to tunnel, as I went to tunnel with an idea and memory of that first free fall, what I struggled with, and what I needed to work on.

As others have said, if you choose to go to the tunnel, make sure your instructor understands that you want to work on "skydiver stuff" rather than just fly for fun.

Haha, yeah I don't even know why I bother trying to use idioms. I always mess up the order! :$

Thanks for the input you guys! I asked an AFF instructor at the DZ and she said it's a good idea and encouraged me in it. She said she went before her class herself. I'm planning to make the trip a fun/learning experience with my nephew so I'm looking forward to it! Thanks again!

-Raymond Lindquist

This last weekend I was waiting at the DZ for three hours for a break in unstable winds to complete my Tandem 2 before starting FJC here in the next couple of weeks. 3 loads went up and I was on the next one, things looked sketchy even to my untrained eye and the staff finally called it off for the day right before we boarded.

Seeing iFly Ogden was on my 4 hour drive back home I decided to stop there as I could substitute 10 mins tunnel time (5 x 2 mins) for my Tandem 2 jump. By far I believe it is the best thing that could of ever happened to me!

It started out with some instruction on basic body position, hand signals, and some of the maneuvers I would be learning like COA, practice touches / pulls, left / right rotation etc. For the first round the instructor flew me on the net to get started and on the second I was flyin', and by the forth round we were practicing some docking and playing a game where he would touch a point on the glass and I would have to change level then proximity to touch the same spot. :)
So with this long winded story what I am trying to say is that yes I think the tunnel is an excellent experience that I believe will help me in the soon to come FFF.

If you have 13 mins of your life to spare then here is the video of said tunnel ride... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4qMMuqgnI

That's awesome! Seems like you were pretty darn stable! B|
Thanks for sharing!

I decided not to do it until I got feedback from my instructors saying I needed the extra time and help. I'm sure it would be beneficial regardless but the money is a factor for me so if I don't reallllly need the extra time then I won't do it until I have the extra funds to spend and not use towards AFF! :)

-Raymond Lindquist