dkvkb

Before I go to the tunnel on Friday..

I have a few questions. I have watched videos, but I can't figure out - how do you move forward, backwards, up & down in the tunnel? I think I have a general idea of how to turn, as I did that on my 3rd tandem. I will, of course, follow the instructions of my coach, but I thought it would help if I just understood the dynamics before I go.

dkvkb

I will, of course, follow the instructions of my coach

Shhhh. If you listen close you can find the answer in your own question...

Why would you want to make that coaches job harder. Right now you're a blank slate he can work with, not a brain full of BS ideas from DZ.com.

I agree - the advice from people on this site is often questionable. However, as a tunnel coach when people ask how to prep for their first tunnel trip, I advise them to check out this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIBAchannel

It is put together by some of the best tunnel instructors in the US on behalf of the International Bodyflight Association. The IBA is the organization which trains and certifies all the tunnel instructors for the Ifly and Skyventure Tunnels.

This series of videos is fantastic for the new-to-tunnel-flight people regardless of experience.

I'm pretty sure your tunnel coach will be ok with you checking out these videos.

And don't forget to breath, smile and laugh at yourself while you're flying.

Sandy Grillet

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Trafficdiver

***I will, of course, follow the instructions of my coach

Shhhh. If you listen close you can find the answer in your own question...

Why would you want to make that coaches job harder. Right now you're a blank slate he can work with, not a brain full of BS ideas from DZ.com.

This.

Practice stretching, relaxing, breathing, and listening with your EYES (eye contact is huge for me in the tunnel, helps you decipher the words a lot easier) and ears.

Let them teach you to fly ;)

relax, have fun, and take your time...

If you don't have a bunch of jumps don't worry about trying to master all the turns and fall-rate changes right away.

My advice having a ton more tunnel than freefall time at this point would be to focus on doing nothing in the tunnel first of all. It's harder than it sounds when you first start out.

Once you stop potato-chipping, tracking into the glass, and can maintain a heading without trying, then worry about the rest.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Ok, so now I'm hooked on the wind tunnel too. We're just getting home & I want to go back already. I think Arkansas is a good central location for one. Anyone up for that?
I had a great time, learned a lot, found out it is possible for me to get stable and I'm ready to start the course again. I spent a little over 2 hours in there & I know that was probably one of the best decisions I could have made. I wasn't even sure I would be able to withstand that much time physically, but I had been working out & that helped tremendously. I'm a little sore, but not like I thought I would be. Thanks for all the advice & encouragement!