draero

Flying duration beginner question

draero

How long would you guys fly in a tunnel each day if you were doing it for 3 days straight? Would 2 hours spread through 3 days be too much for a first timer?
Please share your experience! :)

2 hours is a lot. I mean, really a lot.

What are your goals?
Remster

You will discover muscles you never though you had.

I'd limit it to 1 hour spread evenly over 3 days if you're not used to it. Even then your muscles/back will be incredibly sore. However, you will improve at a much faster rate than someone who does 1 hour over a month's time!:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

draero

How long would you guys fly in a tunnel each day if you were doing it for 3 days straight? Would 2 hours spread through 3 days be too much for a first timer?

you probably will be extremely sore but it's possible. Really depends on how much time you fly out of each session and how much time you can spend at the tunnel.

you can do 10 minute sessions spread throughout the day would probably be your best bet

Thing is, the drive to the windtunnel is about 6 hours, so I cant really fly every week. My goal is to just get better at freeflying (I can just hold a sit through the whole freefall most of the time).

How much should I fly each day for most effective learning if I could spread the sessions through the whole day?

draero

Thing is, the drive to the windtunnel is about 6 hours, so I cant really fly every week. My goal is to just get better at freeflying (I can just hold a sit through the whole freefall most of the time).

How much should I fly each day for most effective learning if I could spread the sessions through the whole day?

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere... With that specific goal in mind, I'd call up a coach and get his/her recommendation on how many minutes to book over the weekend.

10 to 15 minute flying time per session (so splitting 30min with 1 or 2 other groups). With a good hour to 90min in between sessions.

You'll be tired and sore, but them's are the breaks... ;-)
Remster

draero

my personal limit is 30 mins a day. I've done 40min a few times, but the last 10min of the day is hard. Though, if it's spread throughout the day it's better.

My first camp was 1,5 hours in 3 days, no complaints but was still sore afterwards. I think that's plenty for the first camp, I wouldn't do more.

Just do another trip later B| You'll probably end up doing it anyway so don't take the fun out of it for no reason.. ;)

Bluhdow

I did 3 hours in 3 days at iFly Utah. It was my first big chunk of tunnel time.

If you're in shape it's very doable, but you'll be sore for sure. Stretch, drink water, and harden the f*ck up! :P

What he said.

All these guys saying OMG NOOOO.....really?

Its tiring but its not climbing mountains with 3 donkeys on your back.

Ive done 3 hours across 4 days, on 2 different occasions.

My only tip, if its all freefly, mix up the sitfly work with transitions and backfly etc to give the shoulders breaks on occasion.

gl!

Bignugget

***I did 3 hours in 3 days at iFly Utah. It was my first big chunk of tunnel time.

If you're in shape it's very doable, but you'll be sore for sure. Stretch, drink water, and harden the f*ck up! :P

What he said.

All these guys saying OMG NOOOO.....really?

Its tiring but its not climbing mountains with 3 donkeys on your back.

Ive done 3 hours across 4 days, on 2 different occasions.

My only tip, if its all freefly, mix up the sitfly work with transitions and backfly etc to give the shoulders breaks on occasion.

gl!

This. I was doing 6 blocks of 10 mins each day. The 10 mins was broken up into 1:40 turns.

I'd do one on my head, the next in a sit, the next on my back, the next on transitions, etc. Just don't do sit, sit, sit, sit...and you'll be fine.
Apex BASE

Some of this is about getting the best value for your money. Sure, you might be able to power through, but if you're so mentally and physically drained that you can't even execute a simple instruction from your coach, you're just basically throwing cash away at a very high per-minute rate. There's a point of diminishing returns, and they key to getting the most out of your training is not to go past that point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Some of this is about getting the best value for your money. Sure, you might be able to power through, but if you're so mentally and physically drained that you can't even execute a simple instruction from your coach, you're just basically throwing cash away at a very high per-minute rate. There's a point of diminishing returns, and they key to getting the most out of your training is not to go past that point.

I was thinking this, but couldn't put it into words. I agree completely.

[edit for typo]

NWFlyer

Agreed, and that is about my limit.

3 hours across 4 days gets me pretty spent by the end, I have done it all primarily FF, and splitting it evenly between belly and FF. Splitting it evenly kept me pretty fresh. 3 hours of FF will definitely be noticeable.

I have weighed the choices. For me the closest tunnel is 12 hours away, so travel expenses play a big role in trying to "power through" as much as I think I can get something out of.

Fair point however, don't plan to do more than you think yourself capable of still benefiting from.

NWFlyer

Agreed! This is the case for me, especially if I'm doing a lot of head up. By the end of it my arms are just jello and I can't even do half of what I want and it starts turning into a waste of money for me.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)