Maxx

New Royal Caribbean Ships promise an onboard Windtunnel

Well that is if they let you fly HD at all, I wonder what the top speed on that thing will be.

This is the key (problem) to this whole thing.

It's not like wind tunnels are an 'on the shelf' item that they are going to buy and put on a boat. It's going to be built to spec, and because of that things like space, and noise/power requirements are going to be high up on their list when spec-ing out the tunnel.

So what you can expect is a smaller, weaker tunnel than experienced jumpers would hope for. All it 'needs' to be able to do is lift some tourist types a few feet off the net in a baggy tunnel suit, and anything more than that is wasted money, space, and excess noise and power requirements.

Also, I would be very surprised if they ran it for more than a few hours per day. It's not going to be a 24/7 operation like the 'real' tunnels.

It's a neat idea for sure, but look at virtually every other cruise ship activity that has a land based counterpart. They're all 'sea going' versions of the activity, and not quite as good as the 'real thing' based on available space and what the average passenger is going to want/need/enjoy. If you wanted to bowl on a ship, you could, and would have a blast. If you were a pro-bowler looking to fit some training time into your cruise, I'm willing to bet that the lanes on the ship are not going to be up to your standard.

From http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/cruises/cruise-news-cruise-ship-skydiving-3432643

Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas, nearing completion in a German shipyard, launches this autumn.

It will spend the winter sailing from New York and in May 2015 the 4,180-passenger vessel will relocate to Shanghai, from where it will operate three to eight-night cruises to Japan and Korea.

The company already has Mariner of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas, each carrying more than 3,000 passengers, cruising in Asia.

Dominic Paul, the UK-based vice president of Royal Caribbean International, said: “We will deploy our ships where the demand is, with the expectation of winning new converts.”

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

mattjw916

well that's kind of a bummer... says a lot that they don't think the US would be as lucrative as China going forward

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/cruises/cruise-news-its-change-royal-3385400

Its sister ship Anthem of the Seas will be sailing in Europe and will also include a widntunnel.

I think my wife and I will become cruise goers next spring.

IMHO on such ship shouldn't be a problem to provide 0.5 MWt which will be enough to some HD in 8-10 feet WT.

I think that there is reason to not limit powerplant only for barely lift firstimer from the net:
1. in case of a big firstimer some time we have to set speed quite enough to make some FF :)
2. Instructors demo flying will attract the crowd and good as intertainment

I think it will be close to IFly Holiwood which not as large and powerfull as wanted but even I (~200 lbs in tiny suit) was able to fly HD there)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I've never been on a cruise before and my gf and I were talking about going in general. If we could fly for 10mins every day we would be set to go for a 7-8 day cruise :D

Really curious how the booking works and how much time one would be actually able to fly...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=319&faqSubjectName=Ships+&faqId=5847

According to the faq the ripcord experience is complimentary. There are no options for tunnel flying on the reservations page. I'm assuming show up and fly ur ass off as long as you wait in line?
I fly and stuff, its fun!

I really wonder what the logistics will be for that. I bet there will always be a ton of people wanting to go in. For shits and grins I just looked up the cruises on the two quantum options in 2016, and starts from $430 per person or something. If it ends up being a cluster and you only fly a normal two mins, then wouldn't be worth it for me. But for $430, if I could squeeze in a decent little amount of time, I'd totally go on a cruise with the tunnel option! I bet it's too good to be true though. Gotta be a catch somewhere.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

There are more expensive cabins on Royal Carribean ships, but all diners eat in the same dining rooms, unless you choose to visit the couple of special restaurants on board. Most of the activities on board are inclusive, except things like spa treatments.
I bet this would be included in the onboard activities, but you would probably have to sign up for it.
I think it sounds pretty cool. I am one of those geezers who would love to try it, since I have one jump under my belt.

I bet it will be included in the travel package. That is just the way RC tries to roll.
And I think there will be a lot of young guys, and gals, who want to try an "extreme" sport, and have never done a skydive before. I bet it will be a very popular activity with the general public, and there are people of all ages on these mega-ships, from about 1000 children, to people in their 20-50's, and another third 60 and up. Heck, former President Bush may have just started a run on wind tunnels and skydiving by the geriatric set today!

By all means, take a cruise. These ships are so big and there is so much to do, you will have a blast just trying to do it all, even without a wind tunnel. The shore excursions are fun ~ I got to help pilot an America's cup in a "race"!

And Royal Caribbean is the only way to go. The BEST large ships at sea in this hemisphere. I have been on several cruises. And that price is probably right. There are no gimmicks. I had a 6-day cruise with all extras included, like liquor and shore excursions and an optional gourmet restaurant meal, for less than $1200, and that included air fare. Just carefully pick the time you go. In the spring, there are tons of kids on board for spring break. You will find, however, that there is a huge mixture of all ages, and the blue hair set is only a minority percentage of passengers. The ships have so many different areas, that you can kind of make your cruise as sedate or as exciting as you want it, and be with many people poolside or all alone on a deck watching the sun set with dolphins jumping.

The cheapest cabin one can get for that trip is £1,437. The standard rate for an hour in Milton Keynes (12ft) tunnel is £620. So one would need to fly for 2.32 hours (2 hours 19 minutes, on 7 days of cruising equates to just under 20 minutes of flying a day ) to 'break even'. You'd have to get yourself out to England in the first place and/or return from New Jersey which would bump the price up but you'd get 'free' board and lodgings on the trip.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

My husband works for ifly and I can use his flight time. So I could never break even, everything about the trip is more expensive than driving 20 minutes to Ifly Denver. For me the point of the cruise is not a ton of flight time but a vacation where I can do a few days in London then do a trans-Atlantic cruise which really seems like an experience.

So I was just wondering if anyone else was going as it would be cool to meet some new people.
Fly it like you stole it!

Imagine that ping pong ball balanced in a column of air from the hair dryer pointing straight upwards. Now slowly tilt the hair dryer to one side. What's going to happen? The ping poing ball will be blown off to the side in the direction of the tilt.

If a person had the density of a ping pong ball, then that would likely work as described. I wonder how it would work if you took a golf ball and an airstream moving fast enough to support it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Out of curiosity I just called Royal Caribbean and they said the only restriction was that one would have to sign a waiver. They also mentioned there would be an instructor to assist people and specified standard gear that would be worn in the tunnel. Also asked specifically about flying style (back, vertical etc.) restrictions and the assistant couldn't find any.
Not to be worrisome but one might want to check on what medical facilities/staff are on the ship and what language the staff speaks in case of possible injuries.
So, it looks like it is full speed ahead.