PalmettoTiger

Practicing your arch

Just received this tip from a friend who saw my 11th jump story (posted here).

Try practicing your arch in a bathtub. Your feet and hands go on the rim and your belly goes on the floor of the tub. The try and lift yourself up a little. that'll give you a feeling of pressure in the right places.

It works! My tub's a little small (both my nose and toes were pressed against the tile) but I could definitely feel the arch.
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

u can also try and tie your hands and legs toghether behing your back, that will really make u arch your body like hell, the DZO did that to me one time at the dz for like half an hour, my body was fucking sore afterwards but hey it actually helped!
oh and u can also do that in the bath tub!
Free Skies,
Omri :S

u can also try and tie your hands and legs toghether behing your back, that will really make u arch your body like hell, the DZO did that to me one time at the dz for like half an hour, my body was fucking sore afterwards

Are we still talking about skydiving? :D

Great story, PT!! Did you write up any of your other jumps? I tried looking for some but just found the Charles Lindberg quote which I hadn't heard before and really liked.
Well off to take a bath! ;)
Skies and fluffies,
D :P

Nah Donna, I'm a notoriously lazy SOB, and my other 10 jumps are prolly too far back in memory to get the same kind of detailed story. Actually I got video for nos. 1 and 10, so they might eventually be put on the web. I have a feeling the other eight will get minimal coverage.
As for the rest of my website it's a work in progress. "Work" and "progress" probably shouldn't be in the same sentence as "my website." Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks.
Blues, Squares,
PTiger

PT
The following article can be used both to improve your arch and is also a really good stretching exercize to use before a jump :
"Flat flyers", as formation skydivers have now been dubbed, is a bit if a misnomer. How many skydivers have you heard say, "the pace must have been fast, because my back is killing me"?
If you are a "flat" flyer read on for some simple stretches to help your back stay healthy and supple...
I recently realised that our local chiropractor was accumulating a comprehensive knowledge of freefall positions. This is because at least six regulars were seeing him. If this is typical of all DZ's there are a lot of us with back problems.
Archer's Back
What happens when we "bang an arch on". Our back undergoes hyper extension. It reaches the limit of movement by compressing the supporting joints in our spine, the facet joints. These joints are lined with cartilage and have a fluid buffer. These small joints lie on either side of the vertebrae. Repeatedly compressing these joints, by arching, is like bashing a door open against its stopper. The joint can become tight and inflamed, they may also lock. The exercises described will help to open up these facet joints and stretch the muscles running along either side of the spine. Frequent arching shortens these muscles, so we must stretch them to compensate.

Painless Pace
The following exercises are often recommended by Chiropractors. We have adapted them to help you to arch without suffering afterwards. They have definitely worked for me and I am selling my weight vest!
The Routine
Try to do these exercises every day (morning and evening) and if there is a long gap in between jumps.
1. Find a quiet space free of distraction. Lie down, smile and relax. For each exercise breathe normally and maintain the hold.
2. Hold one knee firmly in both hands. Pull diagonally across to opposite shoulder. Hold position for a count of ten. Repeat for other leg. Go back to flat position.
3. Bring both knees up to chest, do not strain your neck. Hold for a count of ten.
4. Cat back. On all fours. Knees directly underneath hips. Tighten the tummy. Arch your back into a mountain. Hold for a count of ten.
5. Keeping your tummy still tight, lower your back until it is like a table top. Do not hyper extend or raise head too high.
6. Repeat 1-5 twice more.

This was an article entitled 'Arch Enemy' by Dave Eardley for the BPA's skydivemag.
/s

another tip for practicing body positions. All you need is a nice sized pool, another person (preferably skydiver) and some of those "noodle" pool toys. If you place the noodles the right way such as behind your thighs, under your feet, between you and the bottom of the pool (against your belly).. all different ways. We did that a few times this week and even though i have no freefly jumps, i was nailing my 'sit'. :) Another jumper is benificial cause they can help you judge what corrections youre body position calls for. all you gotta do is grab another skydiver, get yourself some water noodles and go hop in the pool. You'll figure out how to use the noodles to simulate the correct body positions.
kelly

The noodles are sooooooo much fun. Sometimes I'll put one under my neck and arms, and another under my knees, and I can float without any exertion. Totally neutral body position.
The best thing is that I can do that for three minutes and not worry about having to pull. :)
Blues, Squares,
PTiger