XMarked

Tipping Tunnel Instructors

You are right.

If I took money for coaching, I will not accept tip - you already gave enough.

But if I spot and hold someone for an hour while coach just waving hands around - I will be grateful for some beer (or coffee which is my drug) :)

I dont think many coaches would expect or even accept Tipping on top of a $200 per hour coaching fee. The Coaching Fee itself is adequate.

I think Tipping comes into play when a Tunnel Coach assists someone who has not paid for coaching in advance. But helps that person out anyway.

At least all of my friends who are tunnel instructors feel this way, If I may be so bold as to speak for them.

This is pretty much how I feel on it. If I do 15 mins and they really helped me out spotting and giving some great advice, then hopefully I can throw them 10 or 20 bucks and meet them up to buy a few beers after the shift if they're getting off soon. I also try to bring cookies or something for all the guys to munch on.....those boys burn a lot of calories and need the energy! :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

You are right.

If I took money for coaching, I will not accept tip - you already gave enough.

But if I spot and hold someone for an hour while coach just waving hands around - I will be grateful for some beer (or coffee which is my drug) :)

In that situation i would happily tip, you are doing more than is expected as a common role in your job. This (in my world) is the REASON for tipping.
If you swere doing that for me I would happily tip some $$ and buy you coffee:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tipping 10% is insane in my honest opinion. With the cost of tunnel time, i already have to save up for what little time i get. If some of you think that because they dont make all that much money, that the students should make up for that... You are dead wrong. It is their JOB. I know all all about feeling under payed, but you make your bed. Lay in it, do not expect someone to conpensate for your shitty pay. And for those that say it is "hard" work, i have a feeling you may not know what hard work really is.

Tipping 10% is insane in my honest opinion. With the cost of tunnel time, i already have to save up for what little time i get. If some of you think that because they dont make all that much money, that the students should make up for that... You are dead wrong. It is their JOB. I know all all about feeling under payed, but you make your bed. Lay in it, do not expect someone to conpensate for your shitty pay. And for those that say it is "hard" work, i have a feeling you may not know what hard work really is.

It depends on what you're expecting and what you're getting during that tunnel time. Recently Ive spend 4.5 hours in Ogden, intending to go from no freefly skills to learning hd. The instructors could watch me fumble around and give me a few pointers... that would be them doing their job. However the attention and effort they've been putting into my progression has been outstanding. It's a lot of work on their part. IMO 10-15% is appropriate for tipping in cases when I can't think of any criticisms about the coaching.

As long as they don't feel insulted I would tip 20 bucks. I mean why not. Also, I want to be remembered in a good way lol instead of (she was the worst student ever) ;)

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Again, "alot of work" is far too much credit for most cases. What other job out there would you expect that kind of tip??

It depends on what you're expecting and what you're getting during that tunnel time. Recently Ive spend 4.5 hours in Ogden, intending to go from no freefly skills to learning hd. The instructors could watch me fumble around and give me a few pointers... that would be them doing their job. However the attention and effort they've been putting into my progression has been outstanding. It's a lot of work on their part. IMO 10-15% is appropriate for tipping in cases when I can't think of any criticisms about the coaching.

As long as they don't feel insulted I would tip 20 bucks. I mean why not. Also, I want to be remembered in a good way lol instead of (she was the worst student ever) ;)

Since your new and a nice lady I'll let you into well known DZ secrete.

Women don't have to tip male instructors, just give them a shy smile of gratitude . Trust me:S you will be remembered in a good way.:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

Again, "alot of work" is far too much credit for most cases. What other job out there would you expect that kind of tip??

It's not expected. However in any service related industry, if I feel like the people whom I hired are putting in 110%, I like to show my appreciation for their performance.

Some work hard, some don't.

It's not expected. However in any service related industry, if I feel like the people whom I hired are putting in 110%, I like to show my appreciation for their performance.

Some work hard, some don't.

I got you, and i agree. I just think that the tip does not neccessarily reflect the cost of the tunnel time. The only person i tip large amounts of money for short small amounts of work is my tattoo artist. Because that sh&t is permanent!

I don't tip. I already pay the coaches $200 an hour for coaching. Tipping isn't custom here though. If I want to show my appreciation, I'll get them a bottle of wine or something. Or a hug. ;)

I agree with this one. I have been coaching people in the real skydiving industry for a many years in belly, freefly and canopy. Never took cash, but cold beer, red wine or old scotch, NOW we are talking. Hugs are awesome too.