XMarked

Tipping Tunnel Instructors

So I am curious what is considered a normal gratuity for tunnel coaches these days. I have been working on back flying and finally nailed it the other day. I wanted to let my instructors know I appreciate their hard work and patience.

What is the going rate?

Thanks

Good rule of thumb I use is $100/hr of flight time can be more at times!

Fuck me, $100 per hour tipping :o:o:o
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Good rule of thumb I use is $100/hr of flight time can be more at times!

Fuck me, $100 per hour tipping :o:o:o

Yep usually I will break an hour into 2 days. Makes a pretty big commitment for the coach and usually has them at the tunnel most of the day. So I believe $100 per hour of flight time is worth it!!!

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Fuck me, $100 per hour tipping

It sounds high, but consider how long it would take to actually fly for an hour in the tunnel. If you figure on 2 or 3 minutes per session, you're looking at 20 to 30 sessions in the tunnel. Factor in time before and after for training/debriefing, plus all the rest time in between sessions, it adds up.

Compare that to a tandem instructor. Figure on 20 min to gear up and train, 20 min in the plane, and 20 min to jump, land, get the student out of the gear and present them with a 'first jump certificate'. So they're in for about an hour, and I think $20 is probably the average tip for those guys.

So if you look at the time involved in coaching someone in the tunnel for an hour (of flight time), $100/hr might not be a bad formula.

If you figure on 2 or 3 minutes per session, you're looking at 20 to 30 sessions in the tunnel. Factor in time before and after for training/debriefing, plus all the rest time in between sessions, it adds up.

It does, which is why coaches charge $200/hr.

With the tunnel coaches in our area making $200/hour I feel that the coach rate needs no gratuity. Some coaches will spend quite a bit of time with you before and after, but I think this should be the rule and not the exception.

That being said, when I schedule groups to fly in Eloy's tunnel, I add $1/min as a gratuity. This however is intended to be split between the tunnel driver, safety rat and the rest of the employees working that day/night. This has been well received by my coaches and it usually results in the crew ordering food and/or stopping by the Prop for a drink or two after work.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

Fuck me, $100 per hour tipping

So if you look at the time involved in coaching someone in the tunnel for an hour (of flight time), $100/hr might not be a bad formula.

IF that were the coaching fee that would be cheap, I pay currently $200 per hour coching fee on top of tunnel time. I am not going to be paying a further $100 per hour in a tip:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tipping (for any activity) is voluntary. Asking for the "norm" is a non starter. Tip if you like, or buy the staff a few pizzas, or take them out to dinner or drinks, or not at all. I'm sure it's appreciated. I've done all of these at one time or the other, but I've never felt it was some kind of "duty" or out of an idea to figure out what's 'fair'. The contract has always been clear, anything beyond that was not expected and purely voluntary. I've never met a good instructor that sandbagged or gave poor service until he got a tip. They are top notch. At least those I've dealt with.

Philosophy - For any job - I'd much prefer that people just get paid what the market indicates rather than employers hiding their extra costs in some contrived social norm. Be it food service, haircuts, whatever.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Since $200.00/hr seems to be the norm, I would suggest 15-20%. Alternatively the total cost of the experience is closer to $1000.00/hr so $100.00 is only 10%, not extravagant at all. Remember if you can afford the tunnel you probably earn more than the coach.

I wil absolutely guarantee that I do not earn more the the coaches i have used. It takes me a LONG time to save up enough money to be able to go to a tunnel, and every time i have been there the coaches are busy and making money. Regardless of seasonality,
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I wil absolutely guarantee that I do not earn more the the coaches i have used. It takes me a LONG time to save up enough money to be able to go to a tunnel, and every time i have been there the coaches are busy and making money. Regardless of seasonality

OK, so if they charge $200/hr, that's $200 per flight hr, not per hour spent with the student. Again, how much flight time can the coach expect to teach in a day? Let's say they can coach an hour a day, so they'll pocket $200/day. Seems like good money, but keep in mind that's pre-tax, with no insurance, no benefits, and no guarantee of work (or the ability) to work everyday.

On top of that, they're in a field with a VERY limited number of opportunities. How many tunnels are there in the world? 20? 30? They're spending their time coaching you in the tunnel, and building a resume with a skill that is not very 'marketable'.

So if you hire a guy for a 30 min of coaching, an extra $50 isn't a bad tip considering how long they'll be working with you. If you book an hour and it takes two days of work together, $100 isn't as extravagant as it sounds.

If they could make $200/hr for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and then get tipped $100/hr for 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, that would be crazy. When you look at the reality of the earning potential, and how much time an 'hour' of coaching really takes, it's not as much as you think. Of course, as others have mentioned, tipping is never mandatory and how much to tip is a personal choice.

I wil absolutely guarantee that I do not earn more the the coaches i have used. It takes me a LONG time to save up enough money to be able to go to a tunnel, and every time i have been there the coaches are busy and making money. Regardless of seasonality

OK, so if they charge $200/hr, that's $200 per flight hr, not per hour spent with the student. Again, how much flight time can the coach expect to teach in a day? Let's say they can coach an hour a day, so they'll pocket $200/day. Seems like good money, but keep in mind that's pre-tax, with no insurance, no benefits, and no guarantee of work (or the ability) to work everyday.

On top of that, they're in a field with a VERY limited number of opportunities. How many tunnels are there in the world? 20? 30? They're spending their time coaching you in the tunnel, and building a resume with a skill that is not very 'marketable'.

So if you hire a guy for a 30 min of coaching, an extra $50 isn't a bad tip considering how long they'll be working with you. If you book an hour and it takes two days of work together, $100 isn't as extravagant as it sounds.

If they could make $200/hr for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and then get tipped $100/hr for 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, that would be crazy. When you look at the reality of the earning potential, and how much time an 'hour' of coaching really takes, it's not as much as you think. Of course, as others have mentioned, tipping is never mandatory and how much to tip is a personal choice.

I haven't been to many tunnels (only 3) but each tunnel i have been to, the coach i have had has had more than one student per day. when I fly in the tunnel I'm doing 45min - 1 hr per day over several days. Each day the coaches have had more than one student, so they are making a fee easily above $200 per day. I don't make that much. Nor do i get all that time in the tunnel for free;). Also all of the coaches I know are either fully employed elsewhere or are Tunnel employees, as well as coaches. They are NOT crying poor..

Now having said all that I generally don't tip, but have been known to buy lunch or beer, for a few folks.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Since $200.00/hr seems to be the norm, I would suggest 15-20%. Alternatively the total cost of the experience is closer to $1000.00/hr so $100.00 is only 10%, not extravagant at all. Remember if you can afford the tunnel you probably earn more than the coach.

well when I go to the tunnel, 1 hour cost me around 1 week of salary, and these 200$ of coaching are what I earn in 1 day. So no, I am not likely to tip another 10%... If you can, and are happy with sharing your money, that is great for you, the beneficiary, and the whole World ( as 2 people happy are a good thing ). If I could, I also would.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Quite an interesting topic.

I am working in a tunnel in Russia and here we do not have tips in situation like this - usually they tip only in restorants and maybe taxi drivers.

When I got there I have the same impression like 'tunnel rats always work, always making money', but in reality the picture is not so great. Most of the coaches does not have enough students (simply because skydiving in the area is in a bad shape) to ear something sufficient and salary itself is quite low (I do not have any salary at all because I am a part-time instructor/safety and have only staff time as a payment - glad I have couple other jobs to keep up family).

Actually there is a lot of micro-loans between instructors in the end of the month when people need to pay their rents :)

So please do not look at the tunnel rats like 'they taking our hard-earned money for doing what I would do for free'. This is hard work and salaries aren't big at all.

Tip 'em! :)

Just because they choose to be a tunnel instructor and may not make much money does not mean I have to tip $200 per hour. If they're broke that is thier problem not mine.

just showing the picture from another POV :)

By the way there is a situation when tips or at least beer should be a rule - when safety instructor helps the coach with beginner head-down flyers on the net (holding them while they stabilizing themselves and make first lift-offs). This is really a hard job and good safety helps a lot - not only keeping student safe, but helping them to actually learn HD. Also, bad safety (I mean bad is the SI who provide adequate safety but not helping coaching process) could seriously slow the learning.

I dont think many coaches would expect or even accept Tipping on top of a $200 per hour coaching fee. The Coaching Fee itself is adequate.

I think Tipping comes into play when a Tunnel Coach assists someone who has not paid for coaching in advance. But helps that person out anyway.

At least all of my friends who are tunnel instructors feel this way, If I may be so bold as to speak for them.