jojames

Is Malaysia's genting wind tunnel strong enough for sit and ff

Is the genting wind tunnel strong enough for sit fly and back fly. I'm a fairly fast faller. Any advice would be great

If the stats on the SkyVenture site are correct (12 ft., 875 HP), I'd say no. My general rule of thumb is you need to have the combined fans HP at least 100 x the diameter in feet to be able to comfortably freefly. Especially if you're a naturally fast faller.

Genting is a low power tunnel and is built on a mountain top (~1600m ASL, as far as I remember), which makes it even slower.
I brought my own balloon tunnel suit and then it was a lot of fun...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

In a word, no. I did around 5 hours there working on belly, back & an attempt at sit flying. In the end, after a couple hours practice and wearing 2 suits for extra drag, the only way I could get my 'sit' off the net was with a weird hybrid of sit & back flying.

Having said that, it's a great way to sort out the basics of freefly before you go and jump in a tunnel at $900/hour in the US. At KL you'll get 3 hours for that price.

Having said that, it's a great way to sort out the basics of freefly before you go and jump in a tunnel at $900/hour in the US. At KL you'll get 3 hours for that price.

Singapore has a nice tunnel. You dont need to go to US for that.

Anyways, my experience is similar from the Genting tunnel. Not enough speed for vertical flying. The coach there seemed to be able to fly a very wide head up. (a light weight girl), but she was at the edge of her range.

At top speed it's a fast belly fly speed. It's great for playing around and you could definitely learn to backfly there.

You would struggle to learn to sit fly in there, if you can already sit fly in the tunnel, you can put on a baggy suit and get somewhere between sit and back!

Maybe get the backfly sorted in Genting and then head to Singapore.