dareboy

change of career/ cutting away

Hi guys and girls

I am looking for some help and advise. I have been jumpingin the uk for 3 years now with around 700 jumps and about 6 hours in the tunnel. It didn't take long to realise its a life changing sport and there isn't much else i want to do.

So i have decided along with a friend that we are going to cut away in october, originally we said we wanted to go to the US but with all the visa issues its just a complete pain in the ars!!!! now we have decided it would probably be a good idea to get a job in a tunnel first and get our tunnel instructor/tandem/AFF ratings, then travel the world looking more attractive and employable to DZ's and Tunnels,

We have been in contact with Airkix. They said if we got a job with them we would be in a 2 year contract, obviously this isn't the option we were thinking of. They also offered us a different option of paying for our level 1 and as long as we pass we can work for them for as long as we want!

ideally we would like to get to level 3 before we leave to travel, even tho this may be a big ask. I have no problem paying for the level 1 which by the way is 7k!!! but the problem i have is milton keynes/manchester is so dull and would actually like to get out of the country and do it else where! (somewhere warm)

so if any of you guys have done this, know any tunnels that would offer the same deal, or maybe just some contacts and advise that would be amazing,

As u probably appreciate this is a very scary, crazy time for us. Im 25, selling a business i started when i was 19, renting my house out, selling most of my belongings, so we need to make this work and work well!!!

Thanks for your time

i will also be keeping every one updated on progress

Got no useful advice but i do wish you good fortune in your endeavours.:)
You probably get a few "Doubting Thomas' " on here, but fuck 'em;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The 2-year contract is prolly worth it. You will need the time to get as good as you think you want to be.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

They also offered us a different option of paying for our level 1 and as long as we pass we can work for them for as long as we want!

Whats wrong with this option? Seems like a win/win to me no? am i missing something?

They also offered us a different option of paying for our level 1 and as long as we pass we can work for them for as long as we want!

Whats wrong with this option? Seems like a win/win to me no? am i missing something?

He does go on to say he would prefer warmer climes
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

now we have decided it would probably be a good idea to get a job in a tunnel first and get our tunnel instructor/tandem/AFF ratings, then travel the world looking more attractive and employable to DZ's and Tunnels,

Not to be a "Doubting Thomas" ;), but be mindful that many countries, including but not only the US, don't allow foreigners to engage in any kind of employment with mere tourist visas; visas specifically authorizing employment are often required. So do thorough homework well in advance, and do it the right way so you don't get yourself in hot water with some other country's authorities.

Have you looked at Bodyflight, or are you definitely keen for somewhere warmer? If you have a tandem or AFF instructor rating and 1000 jumps,you might be able to get a work visa for New Zealand. No tunnel but a lot of very busy commercial dropzones, so the employment opportunities are very strong. Huge difference from trying to get a US green card... Best of luck with cutting away. Done right, you will never look back :)

yeah but isnt that like saying you're gonna pay a crackhead 10/hr............................................

plus all the free crack he can handle :D

haha.
well technically, you're standing up holding newbies hands all day.

You're not the one who'se taking the crack; you're showing newcomers how to take crack. ;)

Cheers!
Shc

So i have decided along with a friend that we are going to cut away in october, originally we said we wanted to go to the US but with all the visa issues its just a complete pain in the ars!!!! now we have decided it would probably be a good idea to get a job in a tunnel first and get our tunnel instructor/tandem/AFF ratings, then travel the world looking more attractive and employable to DZ's and Tunnels,

Im curious where exactly do you aim to be working at and at what position ?

Someone correct me if im wrong, but windtunnel hours wont matter that much if you are applying for a job at a DZ (tandem/AFF) Sure it helps you, but actual experience over tandem or AFF will be much more important IMO.

I dont know if you ever done any work in the skydiving/windtunnel industry, but my advice is that you first try it for a while before "cutting away". It may not be as glorius as you might think it is.

You know you're going to be paying $7000 for a job that pays about $10 an hour, right?

Guess the guys that fly with us must really love us because they sure make more then $10 an hour when they are in with us. $20 tip for 15 minutes rotations is a pretty damn good per hour wage. Then there is the block time with $200per hour added for coaching. Guys here seem to be doing ok.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

The other day my son, working at iFlySeattle, got a tip and a phone number. :D

He was polite and texted her that he was already involved. :)

Well if henot going to use that number you can send it my way! ;):ph34r::D
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.