ShellyBella

Building/Owning Wind Tunnels

Hi there! I'm 100% new to posting at Dropzone, although I've been lurking here for a few days now, gathering all kinds of info on vertical wind tunnels B| I'm constructing a short story, in which my main character will own a tunnel. My goal is for the VWT to be realistically and respectfully presented in my story. I'm hoping one or more of you – especially owners of VWTs – might be willing to answer some questions for me. They mostly concern the logistics of owning an enclosed tunnel in a residential area (In a sprawling country setting where there's considerable space between residential homes). My character will be financially endowed so money won't be an issue. I'm open to messaging my questions to you if stating them here is too cumbersome. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi there! I'm 100% new to posting at Dropzone, although I've been lurking here for a few days now, gathering all kinds of info on vertical wind tunnels B| I'm constructing a short story, in which my main character will own a tunnel. My goal is for the VWT to be realistically and respectfully presented in my story. I'm hoping one or more of you – especially owners of VWTs – might be willing to answer some questions for me. They mostly concern the logistics of owning an enclosed tunnel in a residential area (In a sprawling country setting where there's considerable space between residential homes). My character will be financially endowed so money won't be an issue. I'm open to messaging my questions to you if stating them here is too cumbersome. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Ask these guys

http://www.skyventure.com/

http://www.iflyglobal.net/locations.html
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ask these guys

http://www.skyventure.com/

http://www.iflyglobal.net/locations.html

Hi there! I actually already tried that. They charge a lot of money for just a few quick questions! I'm really hoping someone here can help me.

OK! Here are a couple of my questions:

1. Would owning an enclosed wind tunnel in the back yard of a rural, residential area be feasible, or would it be too much of an energy suck for the owner's home and the other residents (creating black outs)? Note: The houses would be spread out, as in a sprawling country setting.

2. In my story, sometimes the owner wants to spend time flying without anyone else around. Is that possible, or does someone else always have to be there to control the stream of air (or otherwise monitor the tunnel)?

1. they don't use up that much power to create black outs.

2. Some people have wind tunnel in their back yard. and No they don't have to have someone in the control room to control power. So yes you can fly naked all you want and have sex in various positions.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

2. Some people have wind tunnel in their back yard. and No they don't have to have someone in the control room to control power. So yes you can fly naked all you want and have sex in various positions.

Even some commercial, closed windtunnel types (a la SkyVenture) have a set up that lets the tunnel instructor be the one on control of the system, from the anti-chamber (ie, no one has to be in the control room).
Remster

1. they don't use up that much power to create black outs.

Phew! A lack of blackouts is fine news for my tunnel owner. If my character has a bunch of windy tunnel sex, I'll be sure she (and her multiple studs) are wearing a sturdy helmet and not a simple hair net. ... I've been hesitant to create a wall-to-wall tunnel in my character's back yard because my research so far has only revealed residential owners who own the open air type tunnel.

Thanks for your help!

Even some commercial, closed windtunnel types (a la SkyVenture) have a set up that lets the tunnel instructor be the one on control of the system, from the anti-chamber (ie, no one has to be in the control room).

So if my character gets sick of her whining toddler and wants to avoid hacking him to pieces with her weed whacker, she can just go into the back yard, saunter into her foam-padded chamber of bliss and float her problems away (temporarily), without anyone else's assistance? That sounds hot. Thanks for giving her the green light ;)

So if my character gets sick of her whining toddler and wants to avoid hacking him to pieces with her weed whacker, she can just go into the back yard, saunter into her foam-padded chamber of bliss and float her problems away (temporarily), without anyone else's assistance? That sounds hot. Thanks for giving her the green light ;)

My personal choice would have been to put the toddler in said chamber, but since it's your book, go ahead... ;)
Remster

My personal choice would have been to put the toddler in said chamber, but since it's your book, go ahead... ;)

Ah, but she wouldn't have made it to the chamber with her little munchkin in one piece. Why not, you ask?: Because to get to the chamber, she needs to traverse the lawn and she will inevitably encounter the shed. Inside the shed is that overly-tempting, well-maintained weed whacker I told you about. Her little swaddled, shrieking bundle of massive obligations will be dropped onto terra firma, ten feet from the sprinkler system and – gulp - whacked. (Whoa. That's not the kind of story I mean to write :S )

Why is your wind tunnel "padded". none of the new ones are.
Do a "youtube" search for ifly wind tunnels and see what they look like
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think he is talking about those older style carnival style tunnels that they have just a big ass fan blowing you around.

And if that is the kind that is going to be in this backyard then the author should be aware that those things are VERY noisy. They are powered by a large diesel engine running at high rpms. Every neighbor within a half-mile will be calling the cops to complain.

It's all good.

As long as there's no sparkling vampires. :|

Remster: No sparkles, no spangles, no glitter, no glam.

Why is your wind tunnel "padded". none of the new ones are.
Do a "youtube" search for ifly wind tunnels and see what they look like

Squeak, thank you for catching my mistake. Having my character use padding in the tunnel would have been anachronistic, as my story takes place now, not when the first tunnel was invented.

And if that is the kind that is going to be in this backyard then the author should be aware that those things are VERY noisy. They are powered by a large diesel engine running at high rpms. Every neighbor within a half-mile will be calling the cops to complain.

John Rich, right. This is one of the reasons the owner of the VWT (in my story) lives way out in the country, with her closest neighbors maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile away. Since she'll be building a more updated version of a VWT (w/out the padding), do you think her neighbors will still cry to the cops from 1/8 to 1/4 mile away?

Remember, you'll need recent designed recirculating tunnel in order to fly naked and have sex in any body orientation.

And the recirc are not that noisy compare to old open tunnel design.

12 ft or bigger in order for a 4 way or more, if everyone can fly vertical you may fit more than 6 people in 12 footer.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

...do you think her neighbors will still cry to the cops from 1/8 to 1/4 mile away?

Yes. People who live in rural areas expect peace and quiet. They'll still hear that beast from that far away. An eighth of a mile is only 500-feet or so.

Darn. So then how about a 1/4 mile instead of 1/8? ... Or do I have to invent deaf neighbors on both sides?

Thanks for your help so far (everyone). Here are some other questions. If any of you can answer just one, great! Hopefully after getting these answered the tunnel will be accurately/respectfully represented in the story:

Permit: Is a special permit needed and how hard is it to attain?

Maintenance: How much upkeep of VWT is involved? How many people would be needed for upkeep, assuming it was opened for business 5 days per week?

Materials: What basic materials are needed to assemble a VWT (Obviously steel, glass, fans and a motor might be some)?

Time: Roughly how long do you think it will take to construct the wall-to-wall tunnel so that it's ready for use (after the ordered materials have arrived on site)?

You probably need a building permit.

Maintenance: I'd figure 10 to 20% of initial capital cost for any kind of large infrastructure like that. Rumours I heard for sky venture tunnels are initial capital and construction costs of 14 million. Say 1/2 cap 1/2 construction, that 7 million capital, so 750k maintenance per year would be my back of a napkin feasibility analysis cost.

Materials: lots of steel, acrylic for the chamber, and lots of concrete for he footings.

Also, you don't need a recurculating tunnel. A regular "puller" like Eloy or Orlando would work fine, although the recirculating ones are quieter.
Remster