troyg321

Wind Tunnel training for 50+yr olds before AFF

The best response so far!

This 54-ish year-old instructor agrees with everything you said.
About four years ago, I responded to a rumour - of a portable wind tunnel arriving in the Vancouver area - by telling manifest "Once that tunnel arrives, I will not touch another PFF student until they have a few minutes of tunnel time."
Last year, that DZ insisted that all students do a few minutes in the tunnel before any freefall. Progression improved dramatically and they graduated large numbers of A Certificate holders. More graduates than many years in the last decade.

And all that progress was after the DZ suspended PFF training. Part of the problem was keeping enough arrogant, effeminate, self-centered PFF Instructors on staff - after I left - and part of it was the DZO no longer seeing PFF as profitable.

The last time I was out at the DZ , manifest said she was proud of their new graduation record, but grumbled about the quality of graduates. She also grumbled about the DZO not allowing her to send students up with PFF Instructors.

Bottom line: no single training method is "best." The different training methods are "best" at teaching different skills at different levels in the learning process. The ideal training program combines: tandem, ground launching, IAD (or static-line), wind tunnel, Accompanied Freefall and coaching.

Rob Warner
first jump in 1977
S/L, IAD, PFF and tandem instructor
FAA Master Rigger

that DZ insisted that all students do a few minutes in the tunnel before any freefall. Progression improved dramatically

I believe this (for freefall performance only) - I just don't buy that it's an age thing. And Dean (your "best response so far") was a personal anecdote - he might have had even more trouble if he started 10 or 20 years ago for all we know - sample size of 1.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanks Chuck.... so here is my data point. I took up the sport last year at 57 y/o. I repeated level 4 once and completed my A license in 25 jumps.

Quite frankly being a bit older makes me a bit smarter. I plan to stay at 1:1 forever, I have on several occasions driven out to the DZ, looked at the winds and gone home, skipped loads where people are saying hury up, we are leaving, and I have ridden a down because the clouds closed over and I couldn't spot.

I watch all of the 25 y/o kids make a different call for those senarios.

I have since done an hour in the tunnel, and yes it helps a bit, but it doesn't translate all that well to the 'big sky'.

I am with Chuck, perhaps you need to look for a different denominator.