Michele

Should I try S/L

I have just completed my AFF level II last sunday. I had completed my level I on May 6. I have never done anything but AFF (no tandem, no S/L, just pitched right out at 12.5k - wheeeeee).
I have not had a problem controlling my canpoy, and have had safe landings both times (the first one I tanked and rolled, the second I stood and walked). I have had problems figuring out where I am in the air (the first time). I had a crosswind on my first landing (why I tanked), but not in the second.
Would it be beneficial, or just confuse me, to jump S/L? Keep in mind that I am easily confused (lol) ;) (I still call the toggles "those yellow thingies" under pressure).
Thanks, and bleu cieux
Michele

I am by no means an expert on any particular training program, but I would say if you already have done 2 AFF jumps with no problems at all and like you said have no problems with the canopy controll, finish out your AFF!!!! Then I guess if you want to experience a S/L jump go for it. Or you could just do a hop n pop!! Just my .02 GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
jason
(ps remember to keep your hands and feet inside the aircraft at all times UNTIL JUMP RUN!!!!)

I agree. As long as you're not having major difficulties with AFF, you don't need to start over in S/L. If you're truly worried that the air skills of AFF and the canopy skills of a jump are too much for you to memorize and perform at once, talke with your instructors and see what they have to say.
Everybody's had crappy landings on their first few jumps. Don't sweat it. :)Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

Not worried about the skill set being learned/practiced in any regard. I worried about getting out the door last time, but hey, that's another story.
I guess I was/am just curious on the consensus, because I have been reading so much on these boards about progressions, S/L, IAF, etc. I thought perhaps I was missing something. No second thoughts for me - just want more!
Michele

Look at what S/L teaches you. You learn canopy control. You learn an exit that is stable. (With the C-182, you learn an exit that you can use later, (maybe). With a big door a/c, you might be using a "normal" exit for freefall, you might use the "airbrone" exit, that is better (safer) for s/l, but not useful for freefall.) In S/L you can prove that you can pull a ripcord (or deploy a PC). I think that you have shown that by advancing to AFF level 2. Every AFF jump, you learn canopy control. Also on AFF jumps, you learn freefall skills. Yes, your freefall skills may improve faster, but you will still be learning canopy control. Get some extra coaching or instruction in canopy control, and keep going AFF.
Blue Skies,
Ralf Stinson

Hi, Ralf
I exit the plane with my Assistant JM on the left and the JM on the right. We go out sideways, and after the initial panic (about 1.2 seconds) we're more stable, and I have gotten to the arch (last time it was ass over teakettle, then head up and arch then stable - great photos).
I guess we'll be going through the different exits as I progress. JMs say I'm doing just fine. Still a little timid about turning more than about 45 degress at a time, tho. Only if my JMs say to do so. Last time really got the feeling when I was faced into the wind. "Knew it was right" - felt right. I'm good at straight- in- front flying, but have been scared of accidentally getting into some sort of trouble (hook or steep turn) way too low to the ground. I will make more of an effort to get more coaching on the canopy side of things.
I will absolutely be continuing with my AFF. Want to graduate to solo by September. W/my schedule, that is about as early as I can see doing it. Then, perhaps I will be able to go more during the weekdays, when my schedule permits more flexibility.
Thanks for the encouragement - I need all of it I can get.
bleau cieux

I guess we'll be going through the different exits as I progress. JMs say I'm doing just fine. Still a little timid about turning more than about 45 degress at a time, tho. Only if my JMs say to do so. Last time really got the feeling when I was faced into the wind. "Knew it was right" - felt right. I'm good at straight- in- front flying, but have been scared of accidentally getting into some sort of trouble (hook or steep turn) way too low to the ground. I will make more of an effort to get more coaching on the canopy side of things.

I don't want to suggest that student canopies are 100% fool proof, but there are a few things to remember.
* At AFF Level 2 you're most likely still on the radio. You're jumpmasters won't let you get into any trouble with regards to canopy control near the ground.
* Most dropzones don't put students on anything except extremely large, extremely docile canopies. You're going to have a difficult time 'hooking' one of those or making a turn so low to the ground that you could be seriously injured.
You should talk with your instructors about this, they can probably help to ease your fears.
Good luck,
Jim

"Still a little timid about turning more than about 45 degress at a time, tho."
Get a little radical with that thing up high when you're in the holding area. It's the only way you'll learn the dynamics of the canopy you're flying. Whether you're doing s/l or AFF won't make a difference unless you're learning to fly that thing. I'm on AFP level II, also. They've got my 195lbs under a 300 sq. ft. sail. I can yank the toggle down all the way and it still won't get too crazy. Give it a shot, you'll be suprised how docile and slow that student canopy is.

Since you have already paid for your AFF FJC and made two jump, you should stay with that method for monetary reasons. I am concerned, though, that you took such a long break in between your two jumps. That is definitely not the way to go in AFF (nor any other training method for that matter). Maintaining currency is absolutely critical when you are in a student program. If money is the issue, then you should have went SL progression to start with. At least then you could have made more jumps during that period. It is my opinion as an Instructor with 20 years in the sport that if a person is going to go AFF, they should have all the money set aside to complete the course. It's only seven jumps (if you are a good student) and making one a month just does not cut it unless you are lucky enough to get lots of tunnel time during the breaks in training. But then if that were the case, you would have plenty of money to finish your training as wind tunnel time is EXPENSIVE. Do you follow what I am saying?
Chuck Blue
D-12501
SL-I, TM-I 2001

It's not really the money issue - it's more like a time issue. I am in a position right now where I have three problem files (two sitting on the edge of filing lawsuits - not my fault - I inherited these problems from a co-worker), which are keeping me working about 10-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.
Honestly, I thought I'd be jumping exactly once. I had no idea what I was in for - no idea this sport is so addictive. It's amazing, tho, how much I am thinking about it. Wanting to do it. Talking about it to everyone I see, whether I know them or not.
I have remained current, but I do understand that consecutive jumps in a short period of time is important. I have been trying to figure out my work schedule so I can get more time on the weekends, or, lacking that, several days during a three week period where I can jump twice a day during the week (to finish up AFF, with allowances for repeating if necessary).
FWIW, my form improved tremendously from jump l to ll. In the video and photos, you can really see that. From something which resembled a rag in the wind to an actually good, graceful, hard arch. From at least 4 body position corrections in level l to none in level ll. From legs at 90 degrees and zero awareness of that to a pretty, unbroken, arched line from my hips. I'm still "superman-ing" my arms, but that's being worked on.
I appreciate your concern as an Instructor, and I will take to heart the advice you have given. I will try to truncate my training, so that I am jumping more often - but I can't promise how fast I can do this.
Thanks, tho. :)

I may get some greif for this suggestion but here it goes. Take some time off. If you are working that much and it is consuming your mind and you are getting to jump like once a month then you might have problems with AFF. You are describing the problem with a long drawn out training lack of experience and comfort along with lack of currency. Canopy contrl and confort are all about being familiar and current. The same is true for freefall. Maybe you could take time off and get to a place where you could do all the 8+ jumps in a week then if you are still having concerns about the canopy take some canopy control classes. Good luck and remember to relax and have fun.
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross

Michelle,
Working 10 - 12 hours 6 - 7 days a week is not healthy and the quality of your work suffers.
As soon as you close one of those nasty files at work, tell the boss that you deserve a long weekend. Let your mind slip into neutral, then spend 3 days at the DZ and complete AFF.