SCOTT735

Pre AFF student wind tunnel questions

Hello,
I hope to do AFF traininng in April 2012 (I did 1 tandem and 4 static line jumps last fall),

Is there a big advantage to going to a wind tunnel prior to starting AFF training?

Has anyone been to Flyaway Indoor Skydiving in Pigeon Forge Tennessee? I am thinking about driving there in Mar for their 15min (5 three minute flights) Coached session (maybe two) in Mar.

Some tunnel time before AFF isn't a bad idea at all. If you can get stable and fly unassisted in the tunnel, it should boost your confidence when it comes time to climb out of an airplane. There's a lot going on in AFF lv1, and if the 'unknown' of freefall isn't so 'unknown', you'll probably be more relaxed. Of course, there's the physical aspect of already knowing what a good body position feels like as well.

Skip the tunnel in TN. It's not an enclosed tunnel with wall-to-wall airflow, it's got a fan in the middle of an open room, and you have to balance in the middle of the airstream or you slide to one side and fall off (the floow/walls are padded). It makes it considerably harder to fly unassisted, and is more carnival ride than training tool.

I think Paraclete is the closest 'real' (enclosed) tunnel to TN. Depending on where you're dirving from, there's the one up in NH as well. Just bite the bullet and drive the exrta way to one of those locations. It will be well worth the extra time in the car.

Everybody on here will tell you the same thing about the TN tunnel. Honestly with your training so far, I would not worry too much about trying to get to a tunnel before your AFF. You might be better served to take the money you were going to spend on the tunnel and put it toward your AFF training so that you don't spend too much time between jumps. Progressing through AFF steadily and not laying off for a time will do more justice to obtaining your goals.