Squeak

How to humble yourself

:ph34r::ph34r:In 15 min increments:D

Just started getting tunnel coaching, and i have to say, it's like learning to walk. I have 1170 skydives and they pretty much equate to ABSOLUTELY ZERO in the tunnel.
I can already see the benefits but my lord it a steep learning curve. :D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just started getting tunnel coaching, and i have to say, it's like learning to walk. I have 1170 skydives and they pretty much equate to ABSOLUTELY ZERO in the tunnel.

Hiya Squeak,
One of my skydiving acquaintances told me he booked some tunnel time to practice (on his own.) It was the Universal Citywalk tunnel. He explained that he was an experienced skydiver, so they should crank it up full blast...

...guess who found himself plastered to the side of the tunnel in front of a bunch of curious onlookers? :D
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I doubt they did that. The last thing any tunnel wants is an injury. They don't even come close to topping it out unless they are very sure of your abilities. I think you were duped.

You have a point there. Maybe he was pulling my leg.

I will say this, out of all the tunnels I have been too and all the tunnel instructors I have met, the Hollywood tunnel has by far the most rude staff in all the Skyventure/Ifly organization.

care to elaborate?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I doubt they did that. The last thing any tunnel wants is an injury. They don't even come close to topping it out unless they are very sure of your abilities. I think you were duped.

It is probably the case that said jumper suddenly discovered that in a tunnel they couldn't fly like they thought they could. The subsequently fly themself into the wall... The speed being up high could either be shifting blame or simply making light of the situation.

It is probably the case that said jumper suddenly discovered that in a tunnel they couldn't fly like they thought they could. The subsequently fly themself into the wall... The speed being up high could either be shifting blame or simply making light of the situation.

That's the most plausible explanation- that he did find himself stuck, but not because it was running at top speed.

I agree the tunnel is a humbling experience. I am a noob skydiver but always thot of myself as a pretty good athelete. Belly flying had it's challenges as a noobie but I have gotten pretty comfortable in the air and the tunnel. Now back flying........that shit'll humble anybody. I feel like a rabid pinball thats been greased. Thanks for my VERY patient tunnel instructors here in Denver. Still very humbling[:/]...................Good luck Squeak.:)

I was lucky when i was jumpig in deland i was driving throu orlando, so ive got more time in the tunnel than i do the air :) so i never really got that humbling experience, since i was ok (for my experience) in both. But tunnel flying is suuuper fun :) i cant wait to go back someday.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I guess this is a good a place as any to ask, and I was wondering about how much tunnel time does it take on average to move through the different positions?

I'm asking mostly for budgeting purposes as I want to get coaching to get better for basic RW and basic back/sit flying in the tunnel before I try it in the air. I know everyone is different, so I'm just trying to estimate how much money I'm going to need to throw down to get through this plan.

Thanks!

I guess this is a good a place as any to ask, and I was wondering about how much tunnel time does it take on average to move through the different positions?

I'm asking mostly for budgeting purposes as I want to get coaching to get better for basic RW and basic back/sit flying in the tunnel before I try it in the air. I know everyone is different, so I'm just trying to estimate how much money I'm going to need to throw down to get through this plan.

Thanks!

Its hard to put a number on it, different people learn at different speeds, and some people just want a basic proficiency before moving onto another position while some people seek mastery before moving on.

I would say it usually takes twice as long on a new positions as it took you for the last one. Thats the rough back of the hand math I use, so it took me about an hour to get decent on my back, I figure it will take twice as long for my sit. So if it took you 30 minutes to get decent at belly, it would be about 8 hours to be on your head.

It takes an even bigger person to admit it to open up the opportunity for more learning and improvement. Keep it up and good luck! :)