cjg

Tunnel time before AFF ??

Recently did my first tandem.. And well .. I am hooked.

Now the season is almost over up here in the north east USA. So likely I will be waiting until spring to go through AFF.

I am only about 2 hours away from the NH tunnel ( flight and rental car from nyc to boston to nashua is only about 150 round trip .. ) So I can even do this as a day trip and take the wife to go look at leaves and things :-D.

Should I go get some time prior to starting my AFF training ?

Anyone have discount codes or anything to the NH tunnel ? Or perhaps someone has a membership and is willing to sell me a half hour or so ??

Or will I end up learning bad things that I will have to unlearn in real air ?

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

I personally love the tunnel, and that is my home tunnel.

If you go on their website, sometimes they have deals for time. And if you are ever planning on going and need some people to space out some time ill come fly with you.

In terms of doing it before AFF, I don't think it can hurt. It wouldn't be bad, they can help you get a solid arch, stable turns, and a solid belly foundation, it will probably help you get through AFF with less repeat jumps, but in the end, jumping is the best thing. (although I am quite partial to the tunnel)

Recently did my first tandem.. And well .. I am hooked.

Now the season is almost over up here in the north east USA. So likely I will be waiting until spring to go through AFF.

I am only about 2 hours away from the NH tunnel ( flight and rental car from nyc to boston to nashua is only about 150 round trip .. ) So I can even do this as a day trip and take the wife to go look at leaves and things :-D.

Should I go get some time prior to starting my AFF training ?

Anyone have discount codes or anything to the NH tunnel ? Or perhaps someone has a membership and is willing to sell me a half hour or so ??

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Definitely go do some tunnel time before doing it for real.

1) It will help you arch and have a solid muscle memory with your legs/arms when it comes time to the actual jump
2) You have less chance of screwing up the AFF level 1 (don't need to piss off 300$ just to re-doing it).

3) Less chance of having a sensory overload. When you jump for real, everything is overwhelming. Some people forget to pull their chute because they are so overwhelmed. Tunnel time will help control it. You'l have moments of "oh I recognize this sensation before!"

Personally, I would do it a little before AFF level 1

Cheers!

Tunnel is without question the best skydiving training tool out there. As a student you have an opportunity to establish the basics of skydiving without developing bad habits that need to be unlearned. This is invaluable. Those of us who teach in areas that do not have access to a tunnel can only dream of having one for our students. We organise trips to Montreal 3500km away to train our novices. So, Yes, I think you should spend as much time in the tunnel as you can afford before you take your AFF. You should try to do some within a week or 2 of your AFF (the day before if you can manage it).

It's actually the other way around. It's much harder to learn the proper form in the sky. In the tunnel you don't have to worry about running out of altitude. You have an instructor right there with you to show you the proper form and even position your arms or legs for you. The tunnel will make you a much stronger and precise flyer in the sky. It's well worth the time and money.

Here is an integrated "tunnel AFF" program in a WARM place, so you wouldn't have to wait for the seasons to change.

http://www.skydiveu.com/tunnel.php

Now THAT is interesting ..

This looks almost like its a weekend or two ... and I can walk away with an A for less then 3 grand ..

Would that really be a smart thing ?? I mean would I be trained properly ?? I would not want to be a victim of a licence mill or anything like that.

Skydive University is a reputable firm. If you complete the program there, I am confident that you will be well trained.

Yes , I am seriously considering it. If I can work the travel and scheduling OK , then this is likely how I will get my A. Most likely in February or early march ( So I can stay current till the season starts up here in the NE )

The pricing seems reasonable and comparable to zones in my area. Perhaps even a bit less , as the local zone I did my first tandem at requires 2 additional tandems before AFF. And doesn't include any tunnel time.

Would that really be a smart thing ?? I mean would I be trained properly ?? I would not want to be a victim of a licence mill or anything like that.

SDU is one of the top programs in the US.

The only thing I don't understand is why the need for the L1 (Cat A) and L2 (Cat B) dives. I'd start you on L3 (Cat C) depending on how you did in the tunnel

One military program I worked on we went from the tunnel right to L4 (cat D), single jump master. But they did get 30 mins of tunnel and by the end of the week over an hr of tunnel.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It appears that there may be a bit of terminology confusion. From the videos that are on the SDU page linked above, it appears that their:

TAFF L1 is a two instructor version of the Cat D (L4) dive [90 degree turns]. Given that this may be both the student's first time in freefall AND a release dive, two instructors seems reasonable.

TAFF L2 is a gripped exit Cat D (L5) [single instructor, 360 degree turns].
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!