theplummeter

Can anyone recommend a tunnel coach..

...at Skyventure Colorado? I spent the whole day jumping with very experienced RW guys and managed to screw up every jump to a least a limited extent. I really thought I had the freefall stuff dialed in enough but I have recently lost 45 pounds and have been doing primarily high altitude canopy drills and my stability in freefall is suffering. They had me on the outside of a three way but I kept ending up being the base as everyone had to fly to me.

I'm thinking that an hour or so in the tunnel might help me fly better, and would like to find a coach to help with some basics.

Tunnel time and coaching in general are always a great idea. Definitely do those.

But that said, you have 35 jumps. You aren't expected to be flying at their level yet. It took me a looooong time to stop totally sucking, and I still have trouble diving down to formations, turning on my center point, and other things. I absolutely understand your frustration--there was no more frustrating feeling than going low on a jump and knowing I wasn't getting back up. I did that A LOT.

The experienced guys at Skydive Arizona were nice (and patient!) enough to take me along even when I was completely terrible, and after a while I started actually being able to fly with them. The analogy they always told me was this: "Were you an expert at driving a car when you'd been behind the wheel for 35 minutes?" That's how much freefall time you have now.

Moral of the story: yes, get in the tunnel. Get coaching. But if the experienced guys you were jumping with are willing to take you along, you'll learn a lot from them and eventually get better. It just takes time. We've all been there.

They have some very talented and friendly staff at SVCO. Tunnel time always helps your freefall skills. Give them a call and they will hook you up with a great coach. I have flown in that tunnel a lot and usually go with Brad Cole, but I have flown with a lot of the staff there and can't say that there is anyone I don't like.

I have spent time with about all of them and as well made jumps with them too. All of them are awesome coaches and instructors. And just all around good people!!

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

...at Skyventure Colorado? I spent the whole day jumping with very experienced RW guys and managed to screw up every jump to a least a limited extent. I really thought I had the freefall stuff dialed in enough but I have recently lost 45 pounds and have been doing primarily high altitude canopy drills and my stability in freefall is suffering. They had me on the outside of a three way but I kept ending up being the base as everyone had to fly to me.

I'm thinking that an hour or so in the tunnel might help me fly better, and would like to find a coach to help with some basics.

Im hoping youre profile is not up to date
because at 35 jumps, you haven't got shit dialed in :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
but like Remi said Derek is a good guy and very talented.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Since you are from the Midwest you may be going to couchfreaks and some of the guys from the tunnel will be there selling discounted coached tunnel time as well as organizing and coaching. Otherwise here is the link to the coaching page but it looks like it may not be 100% up to date, so feel free to call the tunnel and they will be more than happy to help you find a coach that will fit exactly what you are looking to work on.

I'm partial to Derek V (hooknswoop) as well but I'm married to him so I have to say that. :P

http://skyventurecolorado.com/index.php?page=1005
Fly it like you stole it!

Since you are from the Midwest you may be going to couchfreaks and some of the guys from the tunnel will be there selling discounted coached tunnel time as well as organizing and coaching. Otherwise here is the link to the coaching page but it looks like it may not be 100% up to date, so feel free to call the tunnel and they will be more than happy to help you find a coach that will fit exactly what you are looking to work on.

I'm partial to Derek V (hooknswoop) as well but I'm married to him so I have to say that. :P

http://skyventurecolorado.com/index.php?page=1005

Unfortunately I haven't even started the paperwork for my A license and don't think I could get it in and get it back in time for Couch Freaks, which really stinks as I have the time off and a ride. I still have a couple jumps to do with someone who can sign me off, and I need to get the card filled in and signed.

I ended up doing four sessions with Derek P. last week. He was an excellent coach and very laid back. Everyone at SVCO were wonderful and I learned a ton.

I went in just to work on belly flying but after three sessions he ended up putting me on my back, which is a whole new discipline for me to suck at!

Overall I couldn't be happier, just anxious to get in on some bigger group dives and try this stuff out.