wojtas

Looking for freefly coach SF bay area (Union city)

I have done 100+ jumps and I have spend some short time in tunnel already.

I would like to learn sitting (currently I move backwards during sit flying) and basics of head down.

I would like to take in total 2-3 hours in wind tunnel for coaching. I rather like to have short sessions, up to 15 minutes (after longer time, I am tired and I am flying like crap).

I am looking for someone who can teach me. I do not want to pay for this any additional money (just share with this person time, when he will be teaching me in wind tunnel).

I came to the USA for internship just for 2,5 months. For most of time I will not have car (I will be renting it from time to time). So it would be great if my future teacher (coach) could take me from my place to wind tunnel. I live in Santa Clara / San Jose (it is about 25 miles from Union city).

I think your expectations may be a little unrealistic. I'm not a freeflyer, but from what I understand, getting to be able to fly head down in the tunnel generally takes much more than 2-3 hours.

Add on top of that the fact that you're looking for free coaching (and a free ride to the tunnel?). We have a saying about that "You get what you pay for." [:/]

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Your expectations are unrealistic, as Krisanne mentioned.

If you're just beginning to fly on your feet, you almost certainly won't be ready to start head down after 2 to 3 hours. If you are a natural, you might be able to start head down after 4 or 5 hours. Most tunnel instructors and coaches want to see competence (i.e. are you safe?) on your back and belly as well, not just on your feet.

You likely won't find a stranger who is qualified to coach willing to do so for free. Driving to the tunnel, briefing, debriefing, etc. take a considerable amount of time. Flying with a less experienced student isn't the same as flying with someone of equal experience. Some coach their friends for free, because they are friends.

If you combine your time (to maximize rest time) with experienced flyers, you may get some impromptu free coaching.

To coordinate with other flyers, you can join the Bay Area Tunnel Fliers Google group.

Some of the tunnel instructors at iFly SF Bay will provide coaching while they instruct your session. Unless you make arrangements ahead of time though, there is no guarantee you'll get an experienced instructor, and they're not obligated to coach. If they do, tip well.

Yes, probably you right that is impossible to learn in such short time head down. I was thinking that I will be able to try head down flying on the end of 2-3 hours coaching.

If someone is interest in free time in tunnel (by giving me coaching) please send me an email woj.zaremba (at) gmail (dot) cooom. Currently I have car, so I do not need any more get ride to get to Union city.

Tj pushes people well, certainly not for free.
My frined is up there and he'll probably give you free tunnel coaching, very shitty coach indeed and he'll just steal your tunnel time.(ie, he has less than 2 min of coaching others in tinnel, and while you flop around he'll just fly on the other side giving you thumbs up, followed by no debriefing)
If you are interested in that ill give you contact number. You buy time, and he'll hop in with you.
No one with right mind will spend time in 140 mph wind for free.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

If your budget allows you 3 hours, my recommendation is for you to fly 2 hours and hire a good coach to work with you during that time. A good coach will give a thorough briefing, in air coaching and a detailed video debrief.

What you're looking to do doesn't exist. If you find someone willing, chances are it will be a waste of time.

Do you want to spend $3000 to fly 3 hours and not learn much or do you want to spend $3000 to fly 2 hours and learn a lot?
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Many people live quite a distance from the tunnel. For me, it's a round trip of 100 miles. If your coach lived 5o miles away, it would be approximate 2 hours drive time to get there and back. Most people don't live that close to the tunnel and often that drive takes even longer here in the high traffic area of the Bay Area.

This eats up a lot of social life because that usually equates to 4 hours turn around time. 2 or so for drive time, an hour getting ready for the session and winding down afterward. 1 more hour inside the chamber while you learn to fly. Twelve 15 minute sessions will be 48 hours of the coaches time. You also must consider that it takes them away from whatever else they planned to be doing. Get home from work, do whatever it is they need to do. Leave home at least 1 1/2 hours prior to the session. That usually means you have to miss So You Think You Can Dance, or American Idol. Worst of all, you have to miss Raising Hope! That's gotta be worth something. The whole evening will be used up so it's even more than 48 hours. Also, that's a lot or lost sleep since the sessions are often late in the night. that 6:30 alarm is a tough one.

Let's use my vehicle as an example. My Toyota Tacoma gets around 20 miles to the gallon. Lets say 3.85 per gallon. At Minimum it would cost 20 bucks to get there and back. Add 5$ bridge toll and it's now it's 25 dollars per session. Add in Gatorade and water or snacks.... flat tire, whatever, it adds up. If everything works out perfect, It would cost at least, 300 bucks to teach you for free for 3 hours, 15 minutes at a time. That's 12 trips to the tunnel at 4 hours round trip each time.

Free for you is costly for the coach. Coaches have spent a lot of time becoming the flyers they are. If you want free, grab someone at the tunnel and cross your fingers. Some of the instructors are amazing but you don't get a true 1 on 1 training session. You will be in there by yourself for much of the time while the instructor holds on to you during transitions. If you have a coach with you during that time ... they just stand there and watch.

Coaching isn't always flying. It's standing, being a target, sitting still, and sometimes the coach stands out side the chamber and gives signals. It starts on the belly. You must become reasonably proficient. At some point, you can go to the back. Again you must become reasonably and safely proficient.

Chances are, in a couple hours you'll be sit flying but I would not count on getting on your head unless you're extremely coordinated.

Good luck. I hope you get some great flying in. If I see you there, I'll probably fly with you but I'm sorry that most people can't afford to take special trips to maybe get some flight time.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto